LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 135 users in the forums

Defense not as dominant?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Our defense is going to be BETTER. Wait and see. The Niners avoided serious injury because we have a superior training staff. Had nothing to do with luck. The offense is going to improve some and that will makes things easier on the D. Plus another season in the same scheme, and rookies who showed some serious promise last season growing up?

I can't wait!
It'll be tough to go through a season with that many good bounces and that few season ending injuries.
We're going to be facing better offenses this year compared to last year. GB, NYG, NE, Det, NO. This year we have a 1st place schedule to go up against and that means going up against more great qbs.

I don't think our defense will be any worse, but with the increase in toughness of schedule that means our offense has to step up and win a few more games for us.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Originally posted by E-49er:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
What's he gonna say when we take the Lombardi trophy home?

Jamie Dukes: " The Niners didnt win the game. The (insert team here) lost it."

An even better question would be Whats he gonna say if Alex is Superbowl MVP? lol

"Why did Alex Smith thread that needle for the game winning score? Poor decision making. There has to have been another option. The 49ers will never be able to repeat as Super Bowl Champions with Alex Smith as the Quarterback!"
Yeah my thinking is, how can we be worse if everybody returns. I think our d is mor e than capable to keep games close enough for the offense to win it. I dont think we can even say in years past that our d lost the games. Now that we are stacked at all the skill positions (the depth at Oline woriries me tho.) the offense has to improve also. The second point of this post i was trying to make is that even if someone goes down, we have a backup that could start for another team to fill in, and not lose all that much.
Dukes has become a joke on NFLN. When a broadcaster (pun intended) becomes known for hating a player or team beyond being rational he's a joke. The other guys on NFLN don't even comment overtly anymore they just make give him looks as if saying, "We know, you hate Smith/9ers."
heres what i think: WE WILL BE MORE DOMINANT! why?
-aldon smith as a fulltime OLB
-a healthy and more experienced RayMac who will team up with the best 3-4 DE in the league
-Culliver and Brown's progression
-Brooks knowing the defensive scheme better
-Bowman building on his monster season this year

Pretty much, we have alot of guys who have reached their peak but we still have a new crop of guys who have loads of potential and will be better in the 2012-2013 season, adding a new spark and continuing our defensive success
[ Edited by JustinNiner on Jun 23, 2012 at 9:56 AM ]
I'm not sure how the NIners D will end up statistically, but I dont expect there to be any drop off in quality of play on each down. I expect our passrush to be better, too.
OUr defense won't be as dominant, it'll be more dominant.

Originally posted by RishikeshA:
Dukes and the Cohn family make livings by starting fights in empty rooms, what else can they say? As far as the D goes, it can only get better. Good defenses tend to stay around a while. Look at Pittsburgh and Baltimore, a system is set in place and it continues year after year.

It would be nice if the bolded were true, but it isn't. In fact, it's likely to drop off a little. Last year wasn't just a good year for them, it was a great year and not likely to be repeated. However, if the offense improves a little, it'll help the defense and make the team an overall better team than last year.
Originally posted by Ether:

An even better question would be Whats he gonna say if Alex is Superbowl MVP? lol

"Why did Alex Smith thread that needle for the game winning score? Poor decision making. There has to have been another option. The 49ers will never be able to repeat as Super Bowl Champions with Alex Smith as the Quarterback!"

LOL we have a winner!
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Ether:

LOL we have a winner!

Funny. Smith don't know how to go to his 2nd and 3rd option for a better hook-up.

Reminds me of the time last year when somebody was contending that Smith should have skipped his first option which was opened and thrown to -- to look for his second for a better result at the goal line. Just as retarded and funny as the one above.
You know, I'm not so sure we'll be worse statistically next year. I doubt we will go that long again before giving up a rushing TD BUT, with an improved offense and perhaps, special teams (returns), this D will be more rested with the same starters AND two or three new layers of the playbook added to keep offenses off balanced. It has the chance to be one of the best defenses of all time (talent-wise) and it seems we are making huge gains in the secondary and that was our only weakness last year. If Culliver, Cox, Brock, Spillman & Robsinson continue to grow and develop, we could be getting off the field even quicker this year - giving more chances to our offense who can also take more risks.

Injuries, TO's and film from last year could be the only thing that holds this defense back.
I think Fangio will call more coordinated blitzes. As guys get more familiar and comfortable with each other and the defensive system, Fangio may take more chances, not just bend but don't break type inside our own 50. Depends on how much he trust his guys this year.
Share 49ersWebzone