There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the 49er Championship Window Closing?

The window was there for the last 3 years. We just didn't have a coaching staff smart enough to figure out how to open the freak'n window.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 22, 2012 at 8:14 AM ]
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The window was there for the last 3 years. We just didn't have a coaching staff smart enough to figure out how to open the freak'n window.

I don't know man, the last three years... Doesn't that take us back to the mark Roman Era on defense? We wouldn't have won anything with manusky as D.C (imo)
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
it's closing on Gore.

...and opening for the rest of the team. As young as this team is, this "window" could be more of a sliding glass door!, or perhaps an atrium, or sunroom! Well what ever it is, it's quite large, and I for one am looking forward to a few more Lombardi's at 49er HQ!
Is the window closing and is Jenkins a bust? I know those are just headlines to get people to listen to the podcast but what ridiculous questions to ask. Why give Grant Cohn ANY press, even calling him out for what an idiot he is???
Originally posted by coeliyian:

I don't know man, the last three years... Doesn't that take us back to the mark Roman Era on defense? We wouldn't have won anything with manusky as D.C (imo)

No, that would take us back to Goldson's first year as starter in 2009. Dashon wasn't consistent when he started but at least he was better talent on the field.
Originally posted by hmsljj:
I think the team overall is in place to make a run for the next couple of years. But for me the BIG question is QB play. Can Alex Smith continue to improve under Harbaugh's tutelage.

He doesn't have to be great, but he sure the hell has to improve on 3rd Down and Redzone conversion. Last year's conversion rate was nothing short of embarrassing; almost pathetic (still REALLY annoyed at 1 for 13 first down conversion from last year's NFC Championship). And with the Niner scheduled to play more elite teams this year, it's imperative the offense be able to convert more TDs as there will be times the defense will break down when dealing with elite teams week after week.

Now that we have offensive weapons this year, this season and future ones, are totally dependent on Alex Smiths' play. He's either going to perform like a 1st round pick this year or he finally and truly needs to go.

The TEAM has to improve on 3rd down and redzone conversion.
Originally posted by Goldson38:
This isn't even debatable the Window is just opening.

Sign the darn contract, Goldson!!!
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
it's closing on Gore.

...and opening for the rest of the team. As young as this team is, this "window" could be more of a sliding glass door!, or perhaps an atrium, or sunroom! Well what ever it is, it's quite large, and I for one am looking forward to a few more Lombardi's at 49er HQ!
Gore has a sunroof bro, he will just open it when we need it. ie: this year in the playoffs, he will go "beast mode" (borrowing from marshawn lynch) and help us major when we need it.

No, that would take us back to Goldson's first year as starter in 2009. Dashon wasn't consistent when he started but at least he was better talent on the field.

Mark roman was here in 09, did you block out the brett favre to lewis pass? when we were like 4-1 starting the season?

That manusky defense and secondary, couldn't have stopped drew brees, tom brady, or anyone once we hit the playoffs.
Mark roman was here in 09, did you block out the brett favre to lewis pass? when we were like 4-1 starting the season?

That manusky defense and secondary, couldn't have stopped drew brees, tom brady, or anyone once we hit the playoffs.

Even though Mark Roman sucked, you cannot blame hit solely for that one play. Favre at least 5 seconds or more to throw and he squeezed the ball perfectly.

Nope, I could be wrong, but pretty sure he started all 16 games in 2009.

In 2009, the 49ers front office announced that Goldson would be the starter for free safety going into next season, while giving current starter Mark Roman permission to seek a trade. -- Wiki

49ers.com had him starting all 16 games in 2009. I think you're thinking of 2008... Yeah that was a Shaun Hill game. Then later in the season Alex Smith came off the bench in the Houston game to throw 3 TDs to VD. We wouldn't have gone anywhere with Hill weak ass arm that year.
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:14 AM ]
Nope, I could be wrong, but pretty sure he started all 16 games in 2009.

In 2009, the 49ers front office announced that Goldson would be the starter for free safety going into next season, while giving current starter Mark Roman permission to seek a trade. -- Wiki

49ers.com had him starting all 16 games in 2009. I think you're thinking of 2008...

Roman came in, in nickel plays, and other random times that made no sense because of manusky. To the other guy, I wasn't saying he was the reason for that play, but that he was often a hole in our defense.

That being said, other than Gore our offense was pretty bad, most of our games that year iirc were like 3 point wins or something, it was terrible.
[ Edited by coeliyian on Jun 22, 2012 at 9:15 AM ]
This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It's like saying a newborn baby is over the hill. With the exception of a few older players like Justin Smith, Frank Gore and maybe Carlos Rogers, everyone else is coming into their prime for the next 5 years. Our window of opportunity is just opening up. We already knew that Frank was on the decline, and we've taken steps to replace him. If he hadn't disappeared in the playoffs against the Giants, we might've ate up more clock and won the game on possession time alone. Alex couldn't get passes to anyone not named Vernon Davis, so our rush was crucial...and let us down along with an dumbass punt returner that will not be named.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
it's closing on Gore.

Gore has a sunroof bro, he will just open it when we need it. ie: this year in the playoffs, he will go "beast mode" (borrowing from marshawn lynch) and help us major when we need it.

Really, was Frank's beastly sunroof jammed when we were playing the Giants in the playoffs? He was unreliable down the stretch for the last five games, and he will only become more unreliable as time goes by.

I dont think thats fair. J.Smith didn't play like he did last year. We had Lawson rushing the passer rather than Aldon. Bowman either wasn't on the team or was a rookie. Rogers is much better than cement shoes Clement. And Soap is good as a NT, but he gets no push from the DE position like RayMac does (who didnt' play because we had Franklin). Anyway, I dont think Manusky is as bad as people say, he just didn't have the tools.