There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is the 49er Championship Window Closing?

Originally posted by saniner:
For the older guys like Gore and J. Smith I would say yes.

I think as long as we have Aldon Smith, our defense will be good for years. Similar to what DeMarcus Ware does for Dallas. Other players come and go, but Ware keeps that defense tough to play against. Aldon is special.

That being said, our defense can stay elite for at least 2-3 more years. We have McDonald, Brooks and Rogers signed. We have young studs Aldon, Bowman, Culliver for a few years on their rookie deals before we have to smash the piggy bank for them. Willis and J Smith should be able to work out future deals, as they begin to leave their prime.

We can continue to franchise Goldson, but he might stomp his feet and hurt our locker room. I think if Goldson, Grant, and Brown continue their level of play they are going to want to get paid higher than we can manage so they might stomp their feet. They will be our first casualties, but our defense can survive that for at least 2-3 years with the other tremendous talent we have.

Oh ya, and the offense...

We should be able to keep Vernon Davis around. Alex Smith gives us great flexibility because we don't have to break the bank for him. Staley is locked up. Miller will be on his rookie deal for a while, but we'll certainly give him a reasonable pay raise within the next year.
But here is where we run into some problems.
If Crabtree breaks out, we'll have to increase his salary.
Iupati and Davis have a few more years on their rookie deals, but if they break out, they are going to be extremely hard to keep (assuming we want to keep our top defense mostly intact).
Gore is getting up there in age, and he has been the heart and sole of our offense since his second year in the league.

We can maintain our elite defense for 2-3 years, and our offense is also looking like a 2-3 year window.

Every year is interesting, but in 2-3 years, we have to make major decisions between signing players on offense or defense
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:24 PM ]
While I do agree that Aldon looks like a special one, I am gonna has a big if Justin declines to a point where we start talking about cutting his reps down... or worse.. cutting him loose. Maybe Aldon will kick arse with another RDE stepping in and developing further.. sure, that's possible. But I'm not wanting to think much further about such times.

For the time being, I say we just enjoy a few more years of the Smith boys kicking the league's arse!
Last season was the first tangible improvement after a decade of decline. They are jiust getting started, and I see no reason to believe they aren't going to be very good for many years under current leadership.
Not even close.

We're actually a pretty young team. Justin has a few years left, so I'm not too worried there. Drafting some depth at DE would be smart though. Carlos Is getting older for a CB, but he also has a couple years. He wouldn't be too hard to replace anyway. Moss will leave a void, but we've added depth to the WR corps.

I'm more concerned about losing coaches than players.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
While I do agree that Aldon looks like a special one, I am gonna has a big if Justin declines to a point where we start talking about cutting his reps down... or worse.. cutting him loose. Maybe Aldon will kick arse with another RDE stepping in and developing further.. sure, that's possible. But I'm not wanting to think much further about such times.

For the time being, I say we just enjoy a few more years of the Smith boys kicking the league's arse!

Justin is only 32 and that is middle age for DLmen...so I see many more years of his wrecking havoc! And he's the oldest of the great D players! Wow! He has kept himself in shape and is un-naturally strong, plus he hasn't missed a game in...has he ever missed a game?

Gore is 29 but with his history of injuries and playing RB it is more likely that he is gone long before Justin.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
No. This is a young team. I'd say the window is still opening.

Agree
Originally posted by strickac:
Not even close.

We're actually a pretty young team. Justin has a few years left, so I'm not too worried there. Drafting some depth at DE would be smart though. Carlos Is getting older for a CB, but he also has a couple years. He wouldn't be too hard to replace anyway. Moss will leave a void, but we've added depth to the WR corps.

I'm more concerned about losing coaches than players.
Easy for you to say, but quality number one corners can be very hard to replace.
[ Edited by SFrush on Jun 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Justin is only 32 and that is middle age for DLmen...so I see many more years of his wrecking havoc! And he's the oldest of the great D players! Wow! He has kept himself in shape and is un-naturally strong, plus he hasn't missed a game in...has he ever missed a game?

Gore is 29 but with his history of injuries and playing RB it is more likely that he is gone long before Justin.

Middle-age? Ya think? Had not really compared with other stud DL.

Bryant Young retired when he was 35 yrs old.
Reggie White played and finished up at 39 yrs old.

(couple of reference points)

Hmmm... Justin does keep himself in amazing shape these days. Maybe he will go another 5 yrs or so strong.
  • mike
  • Veteran
The good thing about pass rushers is they don't take long to develop, because rushing at a QB in college is similar to doing it in the pros(other than a higher level of talent you're facing). We have a few more seasons of Justin until he starts declining I think, and as he declines Aldon will enter his prime. Once we see a significant decline then we can draft a rookie to start playing under him and phasing him in on certain downs. It's a position I wouldn't worry too much about until we see a decline actually happening.

The rest of our veterans are backed up by a ton of solid young depth. I can see LMJ and Hunter carrying the load within a year or two. AJ stepping up when Moss retires or is cut whichever comes first. Culliver possibly replacing Rogers some day. Most of our team is just starting to find its game so our window just opened.
Wouldn't at all be surprised if we go back to the WR well early in the 2013 draft. Not a knock against AJJ, really. More like a reality of Moss and Ginn not too likely of being 49ers for much longer... and Manningham may end up moving on after his 2 yrs.
Wouldn't at all be surprised if we go back to the WR well early in the 2014 draft. Not a knock against AJJ, really. More like a reality of Moss and Ginn not too likely of being 49ers for much longer... and Manningham may end up moving on after his 2 yrs.

Fixed.
Originally posted by SFrush:
Wouldn't at all be surprised if we go back to the WR well early in the 2014 draft. Not a knock against AJJ, really. More like a reality of Moss and Ginn not too likely of being 49ers for much longer... and Manningham may end up moving on after his 2 yrs.

Fixed.

Yeah, maybe that would be the right time. Maybe we draft that Notre Dame TE in the late first or second round of 2013. Walker will be a FA after 2012.
I never want to tick-off a mod, but this thread is a fail.....

Sorry, Oscar....
[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:04 PM ]
Our window isn't closing rapidly but it is becoming a tighter squeeze. Clearly we have an elite defense with all starters returning and a legit coaching staff to pave the way. However we are ASSUMING Alex Smith will get the job done and that our offense will thrive. For argument sake lets take this assumption and say it happens.

-- Aaron Rodgers and the Packers aren't regressing any time soon, Chicago if healthy is a really good team, and Detroit is a decent defense away.
-- Eli and the Giants always seem to find a way to make a run.
-- Seattle and Arizona both don't have rosters that scream championship but they sure do radiate a potential spoiler odor.
-- NFC South is constantly rotating a new division winner.

Those are the primary obstacles on our immediate future. St. Louis has Sam Bradford and many draft picks to work with and Jeff Fisher's Super Bowl experience. If RGIII pans out (which I know he will) Washington get back into the picture.

f**k the Cowboys. Let's get #6 this year!!

Originally posted by DJD:
BTW... looked it up, as suggested.... Dallas has not won a playoff game since 1996.....

• Jan. 17, 2010- NFC Divisional - Minnesota 34, Dallas 3
• Jan. 9, 2010 - NFC Wild Card - Dallas 34, Philadelphia 14
• Jan. 13, 2008 - NFC Divisional - N.Y. Giants 21, Dallas 17
• Jan. 6, 2007 - NFC Wild Card - Seattle 21, Dallas 20
• Jan. 3, 2004 - NFC Wild Card - Carolina 29, Dallas 10
• Jan. 9, 2000 - NFC Wild Card - Minnesota 27, Dallas 10
• Jan. 2, 1999 - NFC Wild Card - Arizona 20, Dallas 7
• Jan. 5, 1997 - NFC Divisional - Carolina 26, Dallas 17
• Dec. 28, 1996 - NFC Wild Card - Dallas 40, Minnesota 15
• Jan. 28, 1996 - Super Bowl XXX - Dallas 27, Pittsburgh 17

And Seattle winning the division... c'mon man!
What about the game in bold? That was 2010 wasn't it? --Thanks for those who also pointed this out. You guys are the best.

And Seattle winning the division? Yes. Flynn will play very very well. Lynch will run hard, and their defense is not to be discounted. I think the 9ers face a tough schedule, will be on everyones radar, and after last year, will not respond well to a poor start to the season. Yes. Seattle. Mark my words.
[ Edited by dRtyrottencowboysfan on Jun 21, 2012 at 4:22 PM ]