LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 287 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by SofaKing:
In a typical contract restructuring, a player will convert some portion of his base salary or roster bonus (without reducing salary) into signing bonus because it can be prorated or spread out evenly over the life of a contract (most other salary components usually can't be prorated) for a maximum of five years. The team gets a lower cap number in the current season while the player gains more short-term security in the current year of his contract. The player's cap numbers in the remaining contract years increase, which can make him more susceptible to becoming a cap casualty in the future

That's insane. That agent is completely spinning that phenomenon in order to make players who do that look better. Or he's never taken a math class. Or he's on acid.

Or he's Tarrel Brown's ex-agent. What he's claiming is mathematically impossible. Friggn' Lawyers!
[ Edited by VPofCarnage on Jul 30, 2014 at 8:54 PM ]
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
That's insane. That agent is completely spinning that phenomenon in order to make players who do that look better. Or he's never taken a math class. Or he's on acid.

Or he's Tarrel Brown's ex-agent. What he's claiming is mathematically impossible. Friggn' Lawyers!

lol perhaps. Lawyers are sneaky. Here is what we know about Ahmad's restructure, as reported by Maiocco:

• San Francisco converted $3.395 million of Brooks' base salary into a signing bonus.
  • This move will drop Brooks cap figure for 2014 from $6.6 million to around $4.5 million
  • However, move will subsequently increase his cap figures moving forward to: $9.6M (2015), $9.6M (2016) and $8.6M (2017).

So his cap number does increase in future years. I guess the thinking is after a couple years, when most of the prorated signing bonus has passed, we will be left with a larger cap number, and the dead money wouldn't be that much if the team released him.

I'm pretty sure this is what got the Cowboys in salary cap trouble recently. They restructured too many contracts in a short period of time, and eventually it resulted in a lot of bloated cap numbers and dead money in future years. The 49ers will be fine as long as they don't make a habit out of it like the Cowboys did.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:08 PM ]
Do you notice how you never see Paraag and AB81 in the same place at the same time

eerie
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Brooks is an unsung fkn beast! he has made so many huge plays for us, many that go unnoticed. Love this dude.

This.

All of these

I remember during the dark days and we were leading up the supplemental draft and we kept looking at that gif of him jumping over the lineman for the sack

We'll never know if the 9ers offered a 4th and Cincy got him as a result

He's come so far (just like that ungrateful b*****d Boone - i kid, i kid) to now be a Pro Bowler and All Pro (albeit not first team)

When he duplicated that college play against Cam was probably one of the coolest "full circles" I can remember

He's never been in trouble since he has been here that we have heard of. An unsung beast who is willing to restructure, whether he gets more up front or not. In the NFL, you have to get money up front because they can cut you (injured or not) without having to pay you squat
Originally posted by wysiwyg:
Do you notice how you never see Paraag and AB81 in the same place at the same time

eerie

Sssshhhhhhh
[ Edited by SofaKing on Jul 30, 2014 at 11:09 PM ]
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

eerie

Sssshhhhhhh
For the youngins (i.e. fresh meat?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aErFwwUf9XE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOnBfNTE9zs

lol perhaps. Lawyers are sneaky. Here is what we know about Ahmad's restructure, as reported by Maiocco:

• San Francisco converted $3.395 million of Brooks' base salary into a signing bonus.
  • This move will drop Brooks cap figure for 2014 from $6.6 million to around $4.5 million
  • However, move will subsequently increase his cap figures moving forward to: $9.6M (2015), $9.6M (2016) and $8.6M (2017).

So his cap number does increase in future years. I guess the thinking is after a couple years, when most of the prorated signing bonus has passed, we will be left with a larger cap number, and the dead money wouldn't be that much if the team released him.

I'm pretty sure this is what got the Cowboys in salary cap trouble recently. They restructured too many contracts in a short period of time, and eventually it resulted in a lot of bloated cap numbers and dead money in future years. The 49ers will be fine as long as they don't make a habit out of it like the Cowboys did.

Brooks doesn't have much dead money over the next few seasons.

2015- $5,546,250 with pre-june 1st cut, save over $4.1M, or just $2,348,750 for Post June-1st and save $7.3M

2016- decreases to $3,179,500 pre-june 1 cut, save over $6.5M, or just $2,348,750 for Post June-1st, save $7.35M

2017- Just $848,750 and save $7.8M
Originally posted by AB81Rules:

2015- $5,546,250 with pre-june 1st cut, save over $4.1M, or just $2,348,750 for Post June-1st and save $7.3M

2016- decreases to $3,179,500 pre-june 1 cut, save over $6.5M, or just $2,348,750 for Post June-1st, save $7.35M

Great, thanks AB.

Just curious, what is your overall take on contract restructures? I made the argument that while it creates immediate cap space and gives a player short-term security, it could lead to the players release down the road when the cap number becomes too high.

Great, thanks AB.

Just curious, what is your overall take on contract restructures? I made the argument that while it creates immediate cap space and gives a player short-term security, it could lead to the players release down the road when the cap number becomes too high.

I agree with you. I never like restructures that are pure restructures, and not extensions. That's why I hope we only redo Kap's deal in 2015, and never again, unless for an extension.

Brooks could be released now too, wouldn't save much though. It leads to higher cap numbers, and potential cap cuts, due to either high cap #s, or lack of production. I don't see Brooks going downhill at all, not yet anyway. I hope he hits double digit sacks. If not, he would lose some base for 2015 due to the de-escalator.

Paraag:

I'm no psychologist but when a person has multiple personality disorder (or disassociative behavior), at least what I learned on Law and Order (LOL), such a person rarely only has 2 personalities.

Yet, Paraag, you have been successful in keeping only 2 personalities -- Paraag (who only ONCE showed up on the webzone in a gif looking at the webzone LOL) and AB81 (nee AB83rules in honor of Arnaz Battle).

I wonder sometimes if the 2 personalities have fractured into 3, or more -- BuZzBb being the third. I'm still working on that one Or whether NHAP or Nolannonsense were 3rd personalities.

Regardless, Paraag, I'm grateful for your masterful management of the cap. If AB81 is one of your fractured personalities, you have been really good at disguising it. If not,

Paraag, if you are also BuZzB, NHAP, or Nolannonsense, you have sure fooled the board . . . and your fractured personality. Fropwns wants a word with you.
I agree with you. I never like restructures that are pure restructures, and not extensions. That's why I hope we only redo Kap's deal in 2015, and never again, unless for an extension.

Brooks could be released now too, wouldn't save much though. It leads to higher cap numbers, and potential cap cuts, due to either high cap #s, or lack of production. I don't see Brooks going downhill at all, not yet anyway. I hope he hits double digit sacks. If not, he would lose some base for 2015 due to the de-escalator.

Ok cool, I'm not crazy then.

Agree, I don't see Ahmad dropping off and getting released, but I do see his cap # potentially becoming an issue in 2016-2017. He'll be 32-33, and after this restructure will count almost $10 mil on the cap. If he's not ballin' like he is now, he could find himself a cap casualty. Maybe he restructures again but this time with an extension, although that may be tricky with his age.

Hadn't thought of restructuring Kap's deal in 2015. That might be really smart. Still a lot of years left on the deal they could prorate money through and minimize the cap # increase for each year.
Originally posted by Kronos2560:
I always thought Ahmad Brooks would be our starter someday after the 09 season when he recorded 6 sacks in two separate games. He will blow up this season and solidify one of the greatest linebacking corps in NFL history.

I totally agree with this, plus we have up and coming players too, I think if so happen that Aldon Smith is suspended for half the year, we should be fine.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niteshade80:
I totally agree with this, plus we have up and coming players too, I think if so happen that Aldon Smith is suspended for half the year, we should be fine.

I also agree with this. We have no issues within the LB corps, even with Bowman out half the season. My worry is the secondary to be honest. If the secondary can't get it together, teams will throw throw throw which will put alot more pressue on the DL.
  • Arson
  • Veteran
That play he made against the saints last year was amazing, sucked to see him get cheated out of it.
Share 49ersWebzone