There are 413 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

How good is Ahmad Brooks?

Originally posted by zillabeast:
f**k Ahmad Brooks. He's always been one of those questionable characters to me. Knew it was just a matter of time before he effed up again.

Next man up.

There's Cam Johnson, Corey Lemonier and let's not forget Harelson. But, I don't think Brooks is gone. I think he may be suspended for some number of games.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Originally posted by English:
I want the 49ers to be quality guys. I want them all to be team-first guys who give 95% of their earnings to charity and spend all off=season helping little old ladies across roads.

I also want them to win.

Lets be clear, there is a line. Murder, rape, serious spousal abuse, child abuse, all this stuff and more is beyond the limit and anyone, even Montana or Rice in their heyday could not expect to stay with the team after anything like this.

So I guess it depends where you draw the line. For me, until the police have decided if this is a felony, a misdemeanour or a non-event, it is too early to form a view.

But for those of you who have already judged him, think along these lines. Charles Haley was a key part of our D in the late 80's. Yet his reported exploits, in a team which had a very clean reputation, were certainly beyond a drunken fight. He eventually got traded, reportedly, because of conflict with Seifert, then head coach, and a fight of some description with Steve Young. But prior to that, his activities made Brooks look like a choirboy.

So where DO you draw the line?

What Brooks did was messed up, and I as a fan am very disappointed,however it's a far cry from spousal abuse, murder, rape etc. I would even place drunk driving and cheating as worse.

He got in a fight with a teammate. Granted it was extreme and there was a weapon, but trust me I have seen a person after they got hit hard with a beer bottle in the head and it would not have taken more than 1 swing, nor would the victim have been telling the cops what happened shortly after, if Brooks was swinging to really injur. My guess is they were messing around, which escalated into something a bit more physical than it should have with the more aggressive person of the two being just that.
Just a hair under spousal abuse. Your team is your family. I know it's not murder, but the dude did beat the s**t out of a team mate who was giving him a ride home to prevent another Aldon Smith situation which is what team mates, friends, and family should do. What you should not do is beat the s**t of the guy who drives you home when your too drunk to handle, and definitely don't threaten that person with a gun. I don't care how good you are at football, I wish the league would all agree that the world is better without people who act like this while making millions dollars and that the players should be held to a higher standard and accountable for their actions. At the end of the day it is just a game and there is no room in this world for unnecessary violence, we have enough of that as it is. Wish the league would let you release players like this without the fear of another team or a division rival picking them up, because you know Seattle would be like, "Potential jail time? We want him!", and sign him the next day. I know in high school that if I got in a fight, I would miss some school time, and a few games if they would allow me to stay on the team at least. If I had ever beaten the crap out of someone with a bottle and threatened to get my gun because I was too drunk to control myself, I don't think I would ever play, and nor would I deserve to. I know it's a bad example, but I feel like NFL players get way too much slack, and I hope we don't continue that trend. Brooks needs some help, before he turns into Aaron Hernandez.
this thread is even better now
So good, he'll smack you upside the head with a glass bottle, son.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Disp:
Here is Aldon, game by game. I can't remember when his injury happened, but he fell off a cliff after Miami. He was still getting hits and hurries (QB Ht/QB Hu), but couldn't finish them off for the sacks.

Here's how they figure out the grades: http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

I think part of his falling off after the miami game was justins injury as well as his own. Without justin at 100% the offenses were able to focus more on doubling up on aldon which would still allow him to get to a qb for hurries and hits but not every player can have justins strength and sack a qb with two men hanging from his body. At least thats the logical explenation in my head.

You also have to look at the quarterbacks we played.

Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan. -- Those guys either throw the ball before you can get to them and/or they evade the sack when you get there.

The Arizona quarterback did nothing in that game, he was so terrified he had about a 1.5 sec clock in his head.
I thought Aldon applied a lot of pressure in the Super Bowl. He flat out beat his man several times. Then they started to double team him. Then Flacco evaded pressure and just threw the ball up for grabs, where they made plays.

Yep. Sacks also tend to vary a bit, but once adding up sacks, hits, and hurries that variation tends to decrease. Basically, I think there are some reasons for his decrease in sacks through the end of the year (the QBs he's going after, both injuries to him and Justin), but overall, there's also a TON of random chance involved that people don't acknowledge (he wasn't as good as all his sacks through the first two thirds of the year, and not as bad as his no sacks through the later third of the year).

Edit:

Did the math --

Through the Miami game Aldon was averaging 4.8 sacks/hits/hurries per game.
After Miami Aldon was averaging 4.3 sacks/hits/hurries per game.

That's a difference of 1/2 sack/hit/hurries per game with the end of the Miami game as the cut point. His injury, Justin's injury,and the superior QBs can legitimately account for that .5 per game.

(and just to be clear: my basic argument is that the difference between a sack, a hit, and a hurry is pretty randomly distributed; Aldon's 6 sack game could have just as easily been a 0 sack and 6 hurry game, is what I'm saying).
[ Edited by PopeyeJonesing on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:48 PM ]
Originally posted by GNielsen:
f**k Ahmad Brooks. He's always been one of those questionable characters to me. Knew it was just a matter of time before he effed up again.

Next man up.

There's Cam Johnson, Corey Lemonier and let's not forget Harelson. But, I don't think Brooks is gone. I think he may be suspended for some number of games.

No way we cut him because of this imo. That would be stupid
Originally posted by jimrat:
Welcome to the starting lineup Cory Lemonade

lololemonade
Divens cut yet?
Brooks has substance abuse problem going way back to before he was drafted by the Bengals. He cleaned himself up enough to be really good with us. He tripped up. Get him some help, then lets get back to football. He should do an O' Douls commercial -- 'for guys who get angry when piss drunk, threaten his driver with a gun, then bashed his head in with beer bottles -- I only drink O' Douls'
we have tons of talented young OLBs so brooks is gonna be on a short leash but i dont think he'll get cut

Next man up.

Yeah, you knew it would happen. And when the next man up doesn't cut it, you won't gun him down, will you?

Course not.
He's good enough on the field to have the team pulled some political strings so that the DA decided to not prosecute his drunken incident. That's how I see it.
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
we have tons of talented young OLBs so brooks is gonna be on a short leash but i dont think he'll get cut

Not really, more like a bunch of young question marks at olb
Originally posted by InconvenienTTruth21:
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:

Not really, more like a bunch of young question marks at olb

harelson can play if we need him to, lemonier is gonna be a stud, cam johnson has been with the club a couple years and was looking good before he was hurt
Not expecting anything more than a fine and some community service.