LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets

Originally posted by BrianGO:
They are technically "teammates", but they are certainly not friends or buddies (and never will be). How many weeks has Divens even been with the team? Brooks is barely an acquaintance with the guy, and then he bashes him over the head with a bottle multiple times because he dared to affront him with mild humor?

From the Article: "The two men, who had become good friends over the past month, were joking throughout the evening."

I'm sorry, but that is laughable.
The whole Facebook, Twitter, and social media age has distorted the very concept of what "friendship" is.
You don't become "good friends" with someone in one months time. Hang'in out with someone for a few weeks doesn't make you a friend. Hitting someone over the head THREE times with a beer bottle sure as hell doesn't make you a friend.
Everybody has done crazy things while drunk, but you are still fully aware of your actions and becoming extremely violent is not a natural part of being intoxicated.
Originally posted by ninersush:
9ers player or not this type of s**t should not fly. if it was anyone of us on this board doing it to another on this board tell me you would be like oh its bad for our careers i'll drop the charges. hell no. i would undoubtedly prosecute your ass to the full extent and you should do that to me. athletes are spoiled children in a mans body. nothing more. he should get the felony charge or misdamenor if that is what is normally done. no one is above reproach. no one. prosecute brooks and if he misses the season so be it. this is not 2 guys horsing around when u said do i need to get my gun. thats where it starts to go wrong. i've been piss drunk countless times during my 20s w my buddies and we'd horse around but never did we hit each other w beer bottles and threaten to get our gun. this guy needs some alcohol counseling. thats coming from a former binge drinker who has stepped away from alcohol and seen the sober side of the world.

Exactly.
People are still aware of what they are doing when drunk. You know if you are crossing the line; with sex, with violence etc. You are fully aware of your actions.
After the first hit with the bottle it should have been fight or flight and the politically correct thing to do would've been flight although you legally have a right to defend yourself. Of course Brooks was the perp here and he is to blame but to take 3 hits from a bottle is beyond my logic and reasoning especially from a guy you probably outweigh by 80lbs. Team or no team you can't let the guy do this to you then it goes to the police then you withhold pressing charges? They are raising guys differently these days. Strange fellows indeed.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
After the first hit with the bottle it should have been fight or flight and the politically correct thing to do would've been flight although you legally have a right to defend yourself. Of course Brooks was the perp here and he is to blame but to take 3 hits from a bottle is beyond my logic and reasoning especially from a guy you probably outweigh by 80lbs. Team or no team you can't let the guy do this to you then it goes to the police then you withhold pressing charges? They are raising guys differently these days. Strange fellows indeed.

True, but there's a flip side to that coin.

A nobody, who nobody knows, from nowhere, who outweighs the guy by 80lbs, clocks an intoxicated muti-millionaire NFL star in the face and knocks him out cold with witnesses watching.
Which one of these people is in bigger danger of being cut from the team and losing any chance of making it in the NFL?
Which one of these people can afford to pay $1,000's of dollars to a team of lawyers to defend himself in court?

If Divens hit him back, the story would be, "UFA Divens clobbers a drunk Ahmad Brooks and gets immediately cut from the team." We all have a good laugh and go on with life. "We", meaning everybody except for Divens.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:40 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't know... Ahmad has always gave me the impression of not being one to take jokes well....he just gives off that aura. Like he is straight business.....and I got that feeling when he was sober...can't imagine how'd he be when drunk...well actually I think we know haha.

lol, do you know him personally ?
na, but I'm usually pretty good at reading people. From most of the interviews I've seen from him and his sideline demeanor during gameday...I've come to that conclusion.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Jul 4, 2013 at 12:44 AM ]
I say hit the DA in the head with a full bottle-o-beer, solve everything..oppsss...NSA reading this? WTF!!
True, but there's a flip side to that coin.

A nobody, who nobody knows, from nowhere, who outweighs the guy by 80lbs, clocks an intoxicated muti-millionaire NFL star in the face and knocks him out cold with witnesses watching.
Which one of these people is in bigger danger of being cut from the team and losing any chance of making it in the NFL?
Which one of these people can afford to pay $1,000's of dollars to a team of lawyers to defend himself in court?

If Divens hit him back, the story would be, "UFA Divens clobbers a drunk Ahmad Brooks and gets immediately cut from the team." We all have a good laugh and go on with life. "We", meaning everybody except for Divens.

I can agree with that but his actions just puzzle me is all. Why not bail after the 1st blow to the head then make a definitive decision on whether to press charges or not? It is one or the other but I just don't see where you take it to the head 3 times then the issue ends up on the DA's desk only to end up in you not pressing charges. Trent Baalke has one tough job it seems
The beer bottle was at the scene, and the guy text his sister before Ahmad hit him, "With NFL, just so you know... he's drunk and might hit me with a beer bottle".

Yeah, let's cut this crusty juggler, he'd make a great Seahawk, I mean who needs him, it's not like our defense is aging, falling apart, or turning into mediocre s**t with an OLB who relies upon the talent of an older DE, or two linebackers who can only do so much. -Our backfield is just a monster btw, best in the NFL, pro-bowlers left and right. Seriously, our D is solid, and doesn't need Colin Kaepernick to constantly bail it out, but eh, it's all Kaep's fault anyways if we lose.

Seriously, cut him, anybody who gets drunk and beats a jobber up who might not even make the team will not set a great example.

I'm ashamed to be a 49er fan today, please God, cut him, just cut him now, send him to the Seahawks defense angry, cause we're going back to the Superbowl without him, and can totally replace him with anybody in free agency cause he's talent-less.

Seriously, Ahmad Brooks? -What is that muslim? Yeah, he's a piece of crap, might as well call him Ahmad Hernandez.
9ers player or not this type of s**t should not fly. if it was anyone of us on this board doing it to another on this board tell me you would be like oh its bad for our careers i'll drop the charges. hell no. i would undoubtedly prosecute your ass to the full extent and you should do that to me. athletes are spoiled children in a mans body. nothing more. he should get the felony charge or misdamenor if that is what is normally done. no one is above reproach. no one. prosecute brooks and if he misses the season so be it. this is not 2 guys horsing around when u said do i need to get my gun. thats where it starts to go wrong. i've been piss drunk countless times during my 20s w my buddies and we'd horse around but never did we hit each other w beer bottles and threaten to get our gun. this guy needs some alcohol counseling. thats coming from a former binge drinker who has stepped away from alcohol and seen the sober side of the world.

Exactly.
People are still aware of what they are doing when drunk. You know if you are crossing the line; with sex, with violence etc. You are fully aware of your actions.

I've threatened get my gun or fighting knife before in this situation..however I was joking, maybe he was too, but these days any comment takes flight to the max. Another thing, how come the bottle didn't break if he hit him in the head 3x? It's super easy to pop an eyebrow open with hardly any power if you tap on the eye socket ridge, there's your 3 stitches. Maybe he was tapping his head with it, but not real hard. I've been a party to that and had it done to me.. I used to hang with very intense, but fun people. Usually it would all degrade into a heavy duty wrestling thing like MMA to the tap out, then a few more beers for drill..this whole thing is overblown IMO...
[ Edited by Bali-Niner on Jul 4, 2013 at 2:05 AM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
The beer bottle was at the scene, and the guy text his sister before Ahmad hit him, "With NFL, just so you know... he's drunk and might hit me with a beer bottle".

Yeah, let's cut this crusty juggler, he'd make a great Seahawk, I mean who needs him, it's not like our defense is aging, falling apart, or turning into mediocre s**t with an OLB who relies upon the talent of an older DE, or two linebackers who can only do so much. -Our backfield is just a monster btw, best in the NFL, pro-bowlers left and right. Seriously, our D is solid, and doesn't need Colin Kaepernick to constantly bail it out, but eh, it's all Kaep's fault anyways if we lose.

Seriously, cut him, anybody who gets drunk and beats a jobber up who might not even make the team will not set a great example.

I'm ashamed to be a 49er fan today, please God, cut him, just cut him now, send him to the Seahawks defense angry, cause we're going back to the Superbowl without him, and can totally replace him with anybody in free agency cause he's talent-less.

Seriously, Ahmad Brooks? -What is that muslim? Yeah, he's a piece of crap, might as well call him Ahmad Hernandez.

What a pure load of BS. Who are you Mr. Goody Two Shoes, he who sits on high and make all the judgement calls, Maybe you need a couple taps...

Exactly.

You have obviously never been black out drunk before. I'm not saying what he did was ok, I feel he should be held accountable for his actions. But it is entirely possible that he could have been so intoxicated that he had no control over his actions and not remembered a thing that happened.
Originally posted by KegBert:

Exactly.

You have obviously never been black out drunk before. I'm not saying what he did was ok, I feel he should be held accountable for his actions. But it is entirely possible that he could have been so intoxicated that he had no control over his actions and not remembered a thing that happened.

Alcohol has an effect on memory, but that is different.
I've been drunk enough to wake up on someone's front driveway in an unknown neighborhood face-down in my own puke not remembering how I got there. I've taken my clothes off, yelled, sang, thrown things, spilled things on myself and others, rolled around on the street, slapped myself silly, fallen asleep on the bathroom floor; yet I never randomly decided to hit somebody.
In fact, if Brooks was THAT drunk, he probably wouldn't even know or care that someone was playing a joke on him in the first place. If he was THAT drunk, he wouldn't have been able to hit the side of a barn with a beer bottle. If he was THAT drunk, he would have fallen asleep in the car and would have been carried into his house by his teammates where he would have puked and then passed out in the bathroom.
Alcohol has an effect on memory, but that is different.
I've been drunk enough to wake up on someone's front driveway in an unknown neighborhood face-down in my own puke not remembering how I got there. I've taken my clothes off, yelled, sang, thrown things, spilled things on myself and others, rolled around on the street, slapped myself silly, fallen asleep on the bathroom floor; yet I never randomly decided to hit somebody.
In fact, if Brooks was THAT drunk, he probably wouldn't even know or care that someone was playing a joke on him in the first place. If he was THAT drunk, he wouldn't have been able to hit the side of a barn with a beer bottle. If he was THAT drunk, he would have fallen asleep in the car and would have been carried into his house by his teammates where he would have puked and then passed out in the bathroom.

I don't know how drunk he was maybe he was blackout drunk, maybe he wasn't, either way it doesn't make what he did ok. I was just simply pointing out that if you are to the point where you are black out drunk you really don't know what your doing and have no control over your actions. Again not saying its an excuse for what he did, simply that's its very possible he was not aware of it at the time because he was so intoxicated. From your post it sounds like you have been in this state so I'm sure you understand what I'm talking about.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Snake one of these days you are going to get banned because your sarcasm transmitter is on the fritz.
I want the 49ers to be quality guys. I want them all to be team-first guys who give 95% of their earnings to charity and spend all off=season helping little old ladies across roads.

I also want them to win.

Lets be clear, there is a line. Murder, rape, serious spousal abuse, child abuse, all this stuff and more is beyond the limit and anyone, even Montana or Rice in their heyday could not expect to stay with the team after anything like this.

So I guess it depends where you draw the line. For me, until the police have decided if this is a felony, a misdemeanour or a non-event, it is too early to form a view.

But for those of you who have already judged him, think along these lines. Charles Haley was a key part of our D in the late 80's. Yet his reported exploits, in a team which had a very clean reputation, were certainly beyond a drunken fight. He eventually got traded, reportedly, because of conflict with Seifert, then head coach, and a fight of some description with Steve Young. But prior to that, his activities made Brooks look like a choirboy.

So where DO you draw the line?
Share 49ersWebzone