There are 223 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Lobo49er:
Stop the hate on this guy lol. Productive, scheme fit, athletic, and oh by the way, plays LB, not really a position of riches on this team.

I think they will go hard after linebackers in the draft. They want fast guys on defense and I think the draft will show that. I'd like to keep Brooks, but I have my doubts
He is probably staying. We don't have anyone to play SAM, and there haven't been any rumblings in FA for defensive LBs.
Originally posted by Ensatsu:
He is probably staying. We don't have anyone to play SAM, and there haven't been any rumblings in FA for defensive LBs.

Harold could possibly play SAM as well. Either one and a rookie is cool with me if that's who they go with.
Until you find someone who can generate more sacks than he does, you don't get rid of him. He has been the leader the last few years. Harold hasn't proven anything but to be a bust thus far.
[ Edited by WildBill on Mar 8, 2017 at 3:11 PM ]
Originally posted by WildBill:
Until you find someone who can generate more sacks than he does, you don't get rid of him. He has been the leader the last few years. Harold hasn't proven anything but to be a bust thus far.

Harold started coming on towards late in the season. Hope he drops weight and emerges. I agree about Brooks, with what he's getting paid he could be a GREAT backup at worst.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SmokeCrabtrees:
Harold started coming on towards late in the season. Hope he drops weight and emerges. I agree about Brooks, with what he's getting paid he could be a GREAT backup at worst.

Harold right now is just a pass rusher who still struggles against the run and is poor in coverage. He's not going to start any time soon and needs to not only get past the kneeling but develop fast or he's going to find himself as a free agent.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Can we say he was our best defensive player last year?

Yes.

Brooks is just too athletic to lose out on the field. At 260, he is legit SAM. When he was younger and even more athletic, he could have easily been a Mike or even a Will. But as he aged, he is an ideal SAM.

"Ahmad Brooks

Looks like this one might be set in stone. With Aaron Lynch mostly lining up as a defensive linemen, Brooks has very little competition at SAM linebacker. On Tuesday he was regularly flipping sides, dropping in coverage, blitzing the quarterback. What's amazing about Brooks is he continues to survive various regimes. There are very few constants in Santa Clara. Brooks has been a pillar — through quests from championships to the fall from grace. He's not a star, but his role will be important in this defense.

"He's getting (the reps) because he deserves them," Shanahan said. "Watching how he played last year and then going into this offseason, you never know when a guy who has been around a bunch, if they're going to feel that they need the offseason like other people do and Ahmad's been here every day and he's needed it just like everyone has anytime you're learning a new scheme.""
[ Edited by Joecool on May 24, 2017 at 12:31 PM ]

Yes.

Brooks is just too athletic to lose out on the field. At 260, he is legit SAM. When he was younger and even more athletic, he could have easily been a Mike or even a Will. But as he aged, he is an ideal SAM.

"Ahmad Brooks

Looks like this one might be set in stone. With Aaron Lynch mostly lining up as a defensive linemen, Brooks has very little competition at SAM linebacker. On Tuesday he was regularly flipping sides, dropping in coverage, blitzing the quarterback. What's amazing about Brooks is he continues to survive various regimes. There are very few constants in Santa Clara. Brooks has been a pillar — through quests from championships to the fall from grace. He's not a star, but his role will be important in this defense.

"He's getting (the reps) because he deserves them," Shanahan said. "Watching how he played last year and then going into this offseason, you never know when a guy who has been around a bunch, if they're going to feel that they need the offseason like other people do and Ahmad's been here every day and he's needed it just like everyone has anytime you're learning a new scheme.""

Very experienced and is still trying to get paid for a couple years. Might play himself into a year extension if he shows enough.
I think he can be a very good strong side LB in this scheme. Good pass rusher and good at setting the edge

Yes.

"Ahmad Brooks

Except the writer forgot about Smith, Harold and Watson all playing there as well.

Who are your 3 best LB's...Smith - Bowman - Foster? One would think...

Unless Saleh plans on sitting Smith, only using Brooks on base downs and finding another edge rusher to replace him 2/3rds of the time, Brooks could be on the chopping block.

Originally posted by NCommand:

Yes.

"Ahmad Brooks

Except the writer forgot about Smith, Harold and Watson all playing there as well.

Who are your 3 best LB's...Smith - Bowman - Foster? One would think...

Unless Saleh plans on sitting Smith, only using Brooks on base downs and finding another edge rusher to replace him 2/3rds of the time, Brooks could be on the chopping block.

Smith doesn't play that LB position
This old dog can still bite. I kind of figured he'd take hold of the SAM spot from the jump. It's very, very similar to what he's been doing since he arrived in SF.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

He has before for Seattle. It's just a matter of time, my friend. Unless Foster's shoulder doesn't heal right.

He has before for Seattle. It's just a matter of time, my friend. Unless Foster's shoulder doesn't heal right.

My understanding was that he is being brought in strictly as weak side LB. Irvin was primarily the strong side LB whereas Smith was the weak side when he stepped in for Wright. He did step in for both I guess as a backup, but I don't see him as a SAM at all

My understanding was that he is being brought in strictly as weak side LB. Irvin was primarily the strong side LB whereas Smith was the weak side when he stepped in for Wright. He did step in for both I guess as a backup, but I don't see him as a SAM at all

He's certainly not ideal at the SAM (better suited for WILL)...but he has played there for Seattle. And we didn't give him a 5 year, $26.5M deal with $13M guaranteed to sit on the bench. One of the responsibilities of the SAM is edge containment and coverage...Smith is younger and faster than Brooks. Plus he knows this defense inside and out. Him going to the bench won't help Saleh. Saleh also noted that the SAM is not in the old mold anymore (the big lumbering LB). He's now an athletic LB that adds an edge rush up to 70% of the time. If we have to use two players to accomplish that, we will. But I highly doubt Saleh wants his one LB who knows this defense inside and out, on the bench. He wants him on the field assisting Bowman in making all the defensive calls. Just my take...
[ Edited by NCommand on May 25, 2017 at 1:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone