There are 177 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Originally posted by Disp:
Here is Aldon, game by game. I can't remember when his injury happened, but he fell off a cliff after Miami. He was still getting hits and hurries (QB Ht/QB Hu), but couldn't finish them off for the sacks.

Here's how they figure out the grades: http://www.profootballfocus.com/about/grading/

I think part of his falling off after the miami game was justins injury as well as his own. Without justin at 100% the offenses were able to focus more on doubling up on aldon which would still allow him to get to a qb for hurries and hits but not every player can have justins strength and sack a qb with two men hanging from his body. At least thats the logical explenation in my head.

You also have to look at the quarterbacks we played.

Brady, Wilson, Rodgers, Ryan. -- Those guys either throw the ball before you can get to them and/or they evade the sack when you get there.

The Arizona quarterback did nothing in that game, he was so terrified he had about a 1.5 sec clock in his head.
I thought Aldon applied a lot of pressure in the Super Bowl. He flat out beat his man several times. Then they started to double team him. Then Flacco evaded pressure and just threw the ball up for grabs, where they made plays.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:39 PM ]
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
Originally posted by NCommand:
...Brooks ... may have been our only playmaker as well on defense now that I think about it.

No. Bowman and Brown showed up too.

As far as play making, agreed...Bowman's big time stop in Atlanta. Brown...good call on that Superbowl strip/recovery. Epic play!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Here is the link to what exactly a stop is from an article in October: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/18/snapshot-run-stop-percentage-linebackers/. From what I can gather it's basically limiting the back to 3-ish yards or less, stopping them from getting a 1st down in a short yardage situation.

The statistic we came up with is called Run Stop Percentage. This Signature Stat tells us all the important things that basic tackle numbers don't, looking at where a tackle happened and whether it represented a win for the defense in terms of yardage.

Bowman has 71, Willis had 65, Aldon 50, JSmith/Brooks 44. Basically Brooks is very valuable for our run defense.

If a larger number is better, Aldon Smith must being doing something right in the run game.

His transition to an full-time 3-4 outside linebacker has been pretty successful.
He needs to work on reducing his penalties and improving his coverage skills.

He should probably ask Patrick for some tips on coverage.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Aldon gets a bad rap for his run defense, but he's actually pretty solid at it. Getting Sopoaga out of the lineup should help both the pass rush and run defense too. Hopefully Dorsey/Ian WIlliams can do some good work in there.

To be honest, Aldon's play against the run this year was a bit better than I expected it to be.
Moving from a situational pass rusher to full-time outside linebacker can not be all that easy.
If MT means missed tackles, Aldon Smith had 5 missed tackles for the year--and four of those came after his injury.

I have high hopes for both Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams.
Originally posted by buck:
Aldon gets a bad rap for his run defense, but he's actually pretty solid at it. Getting Sopoaga out of the lineup should help both the pass rush and run defense too. Hopefully Dorsey/Ian WIlliams can do some good work in there.

To be honest, Aldon's play against the run this year was a bit better than I expected it to be.
Moving from a situational pass rusher to full-time outside linebacker can not be all that easy.
If MT means missed tackles, Aldon Smith had 5 missed tackles for the year--and four of those came after his injury.

I have high hopes for both Glenn Dorsey and Ian Williams.

I agree with everything buck said. I hope Aldon continues his growth and becomes as good against the run as he is at getting to the QB. We need a good situational rusher on the outside still imo. I think Dorsey has the potential to be a little better than Ray McDonald in our defense, and might do well inside next to J.Smith in our nickel. Ian Williams has something to prove though.
  • Garce
  • Veteran
Brooks is an elite player.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Disp,

I want to thank you again.

I could not resist. I got a subscription.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Nice, good deal . I signed up for the 1 month deal, but once the season starts I'm gonna do their annual package so I can check stats each week. Their analysis and writeups just get me all hot and bothered.
We'll look to you guys for stats/info. They certainly watch every play of every player and are way more accurate than the "official stats" which are an absolute joke. I would imagine the "team stats" are similar to "PFF stats."

I don't fully understand their grading system but it does tell a story.
gotta love the off season

at least this thread cant turn into a qb conversation
[ Edited by Allx9er on Apr 13, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]

Originally posted by NCommand:
As far as play making, agreed...Bowman's big time stop in Atlanta. Brown...good call on that Superbowl strip/recovery. Epic play!

Sooo epic. The strip was clutch, but being heady enough to recover was out frickin' standing.

PFF says Brown was the #13 CB in 2012.
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_23588549/49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks-assault-charge-weighed

oh s**t
brooks needs to handle his alcohol better...looks terrible in light of the Hernandez thing recently that brooks allegedly threatened a teammate with a firearm

this no name scrub divens should've kept this in house

article writer needs to get his facts straight....bowman was the one who knocked down the pass to clinch the NFCCG...may have confused brooks' tackle on the Atlanta fullback on the same last drive that prevented a likely TD
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
http://www.mercurynews.com/crime-courts/ci_23588549/49ers-linebacker-ahmad-brooks-assault-charge-weighed

SMH. I don't know if I could call causing someone to get 3 stitches "great bodily harm". I'm of the opinion to let this go since Divens doesn't want to press charges and there are people in the DA's office that don't think felony charges should be pursued. Hopefully Ahmad can avoid jail time and a suspension but at least we have Harylson back in case he is suspended.
Share 49ersWebzone