LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 420 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
LOL at Cam's flop. Loved it that they stuffed them on the very next play....those were the good ol' days

It's an hilarious flop. He throws his arms in the air to "protect himself" after Brooks is three yards behind him. Really funny. Newton needs to work on that.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/tomsula-no-thoughts-about-moving-brooks-ilb-yet

Interesting about his Cap Hit.

Brooks' production dropped last season, as he eventually lost playing time to rookie outside linebacker Aaron Lynch. General manager Trent Baalke said last week Brooks will remain on the team in 2015 after his salary "de-escalated" from $6.85 million to $4.35 million due to his performance last season.
[ Edited by jeepzilla on Mar 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM ]
Originally posted by jeepzilla:

Brooks' production dropped last season, as he eventually lost playing time to rookie outside linebacker Aaron Lynch. General manager Trent Baalke said last week Brooks will remain on the team in 2015 after his salary "de-escalated" from $6.85 million to $4.35 million due to his performance last season.

And everyone is knocking the guy for not being a team player last year. I'd be ticked too if I lost 2.5mm. Clearly there is an insentive by the team to have Brooks split reps with whoever, particularly if the production is similar when he is off the field.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

And everyone is knocking the guy for not being a team player last year. I'd be ticked too if I lost 2.5mm. Clearly there is an insentive by the team to have Brooks split reps with whoever, particularly if the production is similar when he is off the field.

I'd be livid too. The dude still put up high OLB production for a SAM and helped out at WILL and his salary goes DOWN. Another tip of the cap...to the cap. Paraag gon' Marathe.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

again
from him to boone to vernon to whoever else had a off year or down year,, everyone deserves a second chance this year with a new staff in my opinion
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Brooks production dropped last season because the coaching staff wanted to advertise Aaron Lynch... and as good as Lynch was last year, why is it that it's in the expense of Brooks side instead of Aldon's side that Lynch shoulda been subbing for?

There are just some players that do not like being stepped on, and that's probably why all the negative came out last year when it came to Brooks.. so that those coaching staff would have excuses after excuses..

Just like with Clue Less Tank and how they tell the media that he's yet to learn the playbook and his assignment.. it didn't make any sense..
Big reason why Brooks won't play ILB, he is like 270 lbs. Plus I don't view him as being a good ILB after being a OLB ever since he arrived here in 08.
I think he's going to play the old Haralson role, with Lynch coming in on passing downs.
Im sorry yall, brooks sucked last year because he put himself into that position. He started with no motivation, over weight, he received plenty of snaps at will and sam and I dont think he had much impact playing over the LT (not the FO's fault). After willis went out brooks was the elder of the bunch and instead of uping his game he didnt distinguish himself besides acting like an ass. When his head is screwed on straight he can be pretty disruptive but if his mind was really on his money imo he didn't really train, play, or take hold of the situation as one would hope for and thats on him.

If lynch outplays him and earns a starting spot or any meaningful PT at sam I fully expect him to act like an ass.
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Im sorry yall, brooks sucked last year because he put himself into that position. He started with no motivation, over weight, he received plenty of snaps at will and sam and I dont think he had much impact playing over the LT (not the FO's fault). After willis went out brooks was the elder of the bunch and instead of uping his game he didnt distinguish himself besides acting like an ass. When his head is screwed on straight he can be pretty disruptive but if his mind was really on his money imo he didn't really train, play, or take hold of the situation as one would hope for and thats on him.

If lynch outplays him and earns a starting spot or any meaningful PT at sam I fully expect him to act like an ass.

I see things a bit differently. If I'm Brooks, I'm seeing a rookie, Lynch, coming in and playing very well (feeling threatened), I'm seeing a moron like Aldon get suspended for 9 games and I'm thinking I've restructured 3 times for the team and have never missed a game. I'm playing both SAM and WILL (now) and have made more clutch plays than anyone on the team esp. in the playoffs. Then I'm told once Aldon is back, I have to split snaps with Lynch and as a result, I'm going to lose $2.5M. I'd be pissed too!

That said, it's water under the bridge and this is a new year and he fully knows his role now. I don't anticipate any issues with him NOW or going forward. And Baalke has come out to publicly support him as well.

As to the way he handled things, he knows he was in the wrong...even if justified. And as to his "weight" even Fangio said he was in great shape and did everything that was asked of him re: diet/attendance/commitment but that at his age, his metabolism was slowing down. This year, knowing that, they should attack that issue earlier this year which is great, b/c we start weeks before any other team.

The great news is that together, Lynch/Brooks produced 12 sacks, Aldon will be back for a full season, etc. I'm really excited by how much Lynch grew last year and together, they should be a force even more now! And Brook's contract is no longer an issue d/t the de-escalator.

Keep brooks as starter and allow Lynch to grow more
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
What NCommand said and how he put this Brooks' issue is exactly what I have been saying all of last season..

We have one guy gets demoted for no reason or gets to split time w/a rookie so that the management can have the upper hand when they ask him to take a paycut.

On the other side, we have an injured Skutah and a suspended knucklehead (Aldon) that the management are trying to baby and keep him happy so that he wont be a dumbass and play rough when a new contract becomes a factor..

tho this may be a wise and stylistic style of Baalke because Aldon is the better player (than Brooks), honesty still is the best policy...
BTW, with the de-escalator, when does that kick in? His contract was supposed to be reduced from $6.85M down to $4.35M. I'm still seeing Brooks in spotrac and OTC @ $7,055,000 for this year (2015).
[ Edited by NCommand on Mar 27, 2015 at 7:42 AM ]

It's starting to make sense. That's why he went off the deep end.
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Big reason why Brooks won't play ILB, he is like 270 lbs. Plus I don't view him as being a good ILB after being a OLB ever since he arrived here in 08.

Ever hear of Levon Kirkland?

I don't think he's 270. 260 maybe. But he's still better in coverage than Mr. Quitter was. In fact he's really good in coverage. Niners aren't running a 4-3 Tampa 2 that needs a super-fast MLB.

Played ILB at Virginia & MLB for the Bengals.
Share 49ersWebzone