LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 228 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Lynch sure played very very very well for us last year.. I will not deny that, and I do like the guy and his future.. but personally, I think Brooks' toe got stepped on the minute Fangio announce that he will be sharing time with a rookie..

I often wonder why Brooks was the one who needed to share time with instead of on the other side... the side of Aldon Smith??

And how did Aldon get his starting position back so soon w/o even sharing time with anyone??
Lynch is no choir boy and having Brooks around him may not be the best for his development as his cap hit is not the best for the 9ers future. Thanks for your play, your were damn solid.
man I hope he doesn't go to Seattle or Arizona or the Rams..... I hope he leaves the Conference. I wonder if the Saints like the deal they got from us with Haralson, then they might go after Brooks..who is much of an upgrade.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
And how did Aldon get his starting position back so soon w/o even sharing time with anyone??

Cause Aldon is by far the best OLB on the team and had been keeping in shape during his suspension.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by 9moon:

Cause Aldon is by far the best OLB on the team and had been keeping in shape during his suspension.

he needs a swift kick in the ass,,,,, he was invisible in the last several games of the year, no impact,, he and people like vernon need a bounce back year to help us get back on track
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Yeah Aldon was invisible a lot, but I'd take that over VD, who was very visible cause he kept dropping balls, missing blocks, and half assing routes..
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by DeUh:
Originally posted by thl408:
What's the dead cap hit if he's released, and for how long? TIA

Pre June 1 Cut

2015 5.5M

June 1 Cut

2015 2.3M
2016 3.2M

Pretty much this.

AB, I don't see a trade partner for a 31 year old OLB given his salary. So if we cut him, do we do it after June 1 to spread the hit? Next year we look ok cap-wise, but that's with only 43 players under contract.

If they cut him and all dead money hits this year, what is the net effect on our cap? He is set to make, what, $8 million this year?
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
he's a goner. this team is getting younger and ahmad is a bit of a headache to deal with.

I'm still going to miss him. He is solid against the run and he put together some decent strings of games where he was getting to the QB. Brooks is night and day better than lynch against the run and pass plays where his position is responsible for identifying but saying all of that, brooks is most likely gone.
Honestly I think brooks can play inside or outside. He would be a nightmare inside if he is allowed to play downhill in a scheme.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Yeah Aldon was invisible a lot, but I'd take that over VD, who was very visible cause he kept dropping balls, missing blocks, and half assing routes..

you will get no argument here,,, i guess i will give vd a pass as a off year . can you tell i am not very confident in what i just said?

The more I think about it, the more I think the 49ers will release Brooks with a June 1 designation if they can't trade him of course. It would give them an extra $3M in cap room, but they don't see the money until June 2nd.
I'd rather they do a pre June 1st cut, and take the hit all at once. We're right at the cap right now, so cutting or trading him, would save us around 2 million. We can cut Dahl and save another 1.5 million. We don't know if J. Smith is going to retire, but if he does then we'd save like 4 million. P. Dawson could get cut to save us another 3 million.

These are all little moves to save money before we even talk about reworking a deal with V Davis, S. Johnson, or C Kaepernick. We have a bunch of guys coming back from injury, and a couple guys we drafted last year, who will most likely have a role this year. We don't need to add much outside of the draft. I want this year to be the year where we start seeing what we have in S. Johnson, V. Davis, Ellington and Patton, and who ever the WR is that we draft this year. I don't want us to keep pushing cap hits back, and not keeping ourselves clean of dead money.
Honestly I'd rather have brooks than lynch playing opposite of Aldon. If the 49ers run a similar defense and if Aldon can somehow stay away from suspensions, brooks is a better than Lynch vs the run and dropping into coverage. I know the money doesn't make sense, just in a perfect world, I'd rather have brooks over lynch. I hope skuta comes back, he can spell either Aldon or whoever is playing the other side.

I am curious to see what Eric M will do with the defense.
[ Edited by fister30 on Feb 7, 2015 at 7:01 PM ]
The more I think about it, the more I think the 49ers will release Brooks with a June 1 designation if they can't trade him of course. It would give them an extra $3M in cap room, but they don't see the money until June 2nd.

He still has 2 years left on his contract? If so, we should be able to get a draft pick for him, maybe even a 5th?
Originally posted by TheG0RE49er:

He still has 2 years left on his contract? If so, we should be able to get a draft pick for him, maybe even a 5th?

Lol no. Not with his current contract.
Share 49ersWebzone