There are 233 users in the forums

How is Ahmad Brooks?

Shop 49ers game tickets
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by Psinex:

Obviously, it's not all about the sacks. If you want to poke holes in the 49ers defense, you should look at Aldon Smith without Parys Haralson keeping him fresh and the secondary, where our DB's got shredded all throughout the playoffs. Aldon disappeared for the last 6 games because he was exhausted and Justin Smith was not at 100%. He either got no push or he got pushed up past the pocket. Had he got to Joe Flacco or Matt Ryan with any kind of regularity, it would have changed the complexion of both games. Both were far too comfortable in the pocket, delivering long strikes.

Aldon was more than exhausted. He was injured, and seriously enough to require surgery.

But, you are right about Parys Haralson. Having him on the field would have helped.
That would have given us one solid back up to rotate in for Ahmad and Aldon.
of course this is the truth and that is a big reason why i am happy to have parys back. last years "replacement" in huggins or higgins or whoever the f**k was a disaster. it was a disaster from the moment they got him cuz he got suspended. we would have been better off signing julian peterson
There is a HUGE difference between a SAM (Brooks) position and WILL (Aldon) in a 3-4 defense and how they are used and their individual responsibilities. Brooks is probably the second best SAM 3-4 OLB in the game (maybe 1st now). If you want both of your LBers to have 10+ sacks every year (very rare) we'd need a different DC and scheme...if you want Brooks to have 10+ sacks, simply move him to the WILL and rush him from there. But hands down, he is the most complete LB we have and most versatile, reliable and conditioned. The dude plays 93% of the snaps and was the only front 7 guy to show up at the end of the season and all through the playoffs. Period.

Even Aldon has a long ways to go before he is a "complete OLB."

Brooks is the best at setting the edge, brings consistent pressure, his hits/sacks cause pain, he covers the TE and drops well out in coverage, is constantly double-teams (if you watch the games), is the only LB or DE who knocks down passes, rarely misses a tackle, racks up TFL (stats on NFL.com are WAY off on this category BTW) which are like sacks, is absolutely clutch, can play and DOES play all LB positions at various times and can play DE and even played DT a couple times as well, etc.

The dude couldn't be better at his craft. He is probably the most complete SAM there is (even among 4-3 defenses).

Your issue is with Fangio, the scheme, how he uses him, etc. And BTW, he doesn't play behind Justin Smith on the WEAK side (the non-TE side - the pass rush side). He diagnoses plays faster than Willis (IMHO) at this junction as well and that is saying something. And don't forget the 7 or 8 would-be sacks he would have had save for penalties that wiped them out and countless 1 yard gainers (tackles the QB from behind). The dude could be paid more...the FO was brilliant in signing him first and for what they signed him for.

As to your backdoor point, yes, we should ALWAYS be looking for the "next man up." Always.
Ahmad Brooks is a baller! He doesn't get a lot of the sacks but hes constantly in the back field harrassing qbs. Stats mean nothing in his case. Thats why he got the contract. If anything I feel aldon smith mite be overrated. Don't let the numbers fool you. Brooks doesn't need justin smith to get pressure. And brooks can tackle rbs unlike aldon smith who consistently misses them. Thats jus my opinion. Btw Im not one of these 2012 niner fans, I've been one for life.
Sorry, it seemed that you were confused by the tables.

In one of your posts you did not seem to understand that the tables were not based on NFL stats or team stats.

In another post, you did not seem to notice that tables were from different time frames.

I found the tables interesting and somewhat useful. I thought it nice that Disp posted them.

If you have a problem with them or their presentation talk to him.

Maybe, he would kind enough to post the final numbers.

The tables had inconsistent data. That's why I asked about it.

I like the tables too. I'd like to see the final OLB ratings after 16 games.
He's a solid player but he's a tad bit overpaid. I think you might see those numbers come down a bit But there is no reason to be discussing replacing him.
[ Edited by lamontb on Apr 11, 2013 at 10:41 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:
The tables had inconsistent data. That's why I asked about it.

I like the tables too. I'd like to see the final OLB ratings after 16 games.

I like their table enough that I am planning on subscribing to their premium stats next year.

Different and inconsistent are not synonyms.

The data in the tables was different..
You presumed, and apparently still assume, that the data was inconsistent.

The stats from the NFL website and 49er team site which you claimed were different were identical.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 11, 2013 at 11:01 AM ]
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Those stats were for the whole season including playoffs. Here are the stats by game. I'd definitely recommend signing up for PFF's premium stats because the info. is awesome.

Originally posted by Disp:
Those stats were for the whole season including playoffs. Here are the stats by game. I'd definitely recommend signing up for PFF's premium stats because the info. is awesome.

Love this site as well but a .2 on pass coverage against the Saints? He returned a pass for a TD. LOL
I like their table enough that I am planning on subscribing to their premium stats next year.

The stats from the NFL website and 49er team site which you claimed were different were identical.

Don't overthink this. The stat tables were different and I asked why. It makes sense to me that, for this discussion, when data was presented to make a point it should be from the same period in time. That's all. Why are you arguing this? Doesn't it make sense to you that if I want to show how great Adldon is, I will not take one stat from the third week of the season and another stat from the 10th week of the season. I'm not even saying it was done intentionally. I just wanted to get an understanding. And disp hasn't confirmed the time difference theory yet. I don't go on PFF a lot. So I am asking.

I have no idea what you are referring to with the NFL and 49er team website. I've only ever been talking about the PFF stats. I'd like to see season ending totals, if possible, of player rankings thanks.

Enough bickering, let's get back to the original point. How good is Brooks?
  • buck
  • Veteran

There was a difference in the snap counts in the 49er table and the league table.

Were both of those tables for the whole season?

Thanks for sharing. I am planning on subscribing next year.

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by brodiebluebanaszak:

Don't overthink this. The stat tables were different and I asked why. It makes sense to me that, for this discussion, when data was presented to make a point it should be from the same period in time. That's all. Why are you arguing this? Doesn't it make sense to you that if I want to show how great Adldon is, I will not take one stat from the third week of the season and another stat from the 10th week of the season. I'm not even saying it was done intentionally. I just wanted to get an understanding. And disp hasn't confirmed the time difference theory yet. I don't go on PFF a lot. So I am asking.

I have no idea what you are referring to with the NFL and 49er team website. I've only ever been talking about the PFF stats. I'd like to see season ending totals, if possible, of player rankings thanks.
Ne
Enough bickering, let's get back to the original point. How good is Brooks?

Never mind. You are right. I am wrong. I am over thinking.

That stats are inconsistent. Aldon Smith is not a real 3-4 outside linebacker.

Sorry.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Yeah, all of the tables are 2012 year end stats including playoffs.
Yeah, all of the tables are 2012 year end stats including playoffs.

Well, thanks for sharing them! Great stuff! I've been getting into it with buck about some differences in numbers in the original tables you posted.

Can you enlighten the conversation any?

Thanks.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Oops, you're right. Didn't even notice that the vs. rest of the league is actually just regular season stats. The individual and 49ers only stats include the playoffs.
Ok thanks!

I take back my insinuations about Aldons numbers. They look pretty good considering they reflect 25% snaps played with shoulder hassles in regular season.

I wonder what they were at week 12?

My other points though I don't take back so much until I understand what the PFF numbers mean for run defense and coverage.

What does the week by week table look like for Aldon?
Share 49ersWebzone