There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Will Kaepernick become like Brian Brohm??

Will Kaepernick become like Brian Brohm??

Originally posted by strickac:
Alex is a serviceable guy and he's a great fit for what Harbaugh wants; however, I've never had the feeling that Alex was a special player.

I believe, and have waited, for Smith to play as he did in the NO game. I believe that is his natural level of play...efficient yet clutch. He played that way at Utah and he may play that way for the rest of his career under Harbaugh. Hope so!
Sure, they'll take their lumps. Alex is a serviceable guy and he's a great fit for what Harbaugh wants; however, I've never had the feeling that Alex was a special player. Kaep and Tolzien showed some poise and physical traits as a rookie (granted it was preseason) that we never saw from Alex. With Josh in the mix now, hes another guy that has some experience under center and a history in Harbaugh's system. I have faith the backups can lead our team. Alex had a very efficient season, but he was only asked to put up around 200 yds/game. We should be able to duplicate that in the passing game without being reckless.

Not trying to "jump on you" for your post, but the underlined...

- never?

- Sure, we could replicate the yardage and number of attempts... but can we replicate the lack of costly mistakes and turnover too? JTO could put up bigger yardage (which I'm sure Alex can too going into yr 2 of Jim's offense), but the turnovers that JTO cost us pretty well negated (and then some) all the good he did.

Sometimes I think people can badly undervalue safe yet efficient play from our pass game when acknowledging how good our D and STs can be.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
I believe, and have waited, for Smith to play as he did in the NO game. I believe that is his natural level of play...efficient yet clutch. He played that way at Utah and he may play that way for the rest of his career under Harbaugh. Hope so!

I hope so too and he has all the weapons to surpass what he did last year. I'm trying not to get my hopes up though. I don't expect the offense to have a quick start to the season. It'll progress as the year goes on.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
Efficient would be converting third downs which the 49ers were at the bottom of the league last year. The minimal number of turnovers was nice but the passing game was not efficient. We'll see how much an entire offseason will help Alex. Hopefully we see a complete balanced offense but that lies on Alex making a big jump from last year.
  • DVDA
  • Veteran
And to the original post, Kaepernick is working on a ton of mechanical stuff right now since this is his first offseason in the NFL. Alex is set in stone as the starter so the coaching staff is more concerned with Kaepernick's footwork, reads, and throwing mechanics than they are his completion percentage. They are working on him for next year and beyond since he wont be relied upon anytime soon.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Sure, they'll take their lumps. Alex is a serviceable guy and he's a great fit for what Harbaugh wants; however, I've never had the feeling that Alex was a special player. Kaep and Tolzien showed some poise and physical traits as a rookie (granted it was preseason) that we never saw from Alex. With Josh in the mix now, hes another guy that has some experience under center and a history in Harbaugh's system. I have faith the backups can lead our team. Alex had a very efficient season, but he was only asked to put up around 200 yds/game. We should be able to duplicate that in the passing game without being reckless.

Not trying to "jump on you" for your post, but the underlined...

- never?

- Sure, we could replicate the yardage and number of attempts... but can we replicate the lack of costly mistakes and turnover too? JTO could put up bigger yardage (which I'm sure Alex can too going into yr 2 of Jim's offense), but the turnovers that JTO cost us pretty well negated (and then some) all the good he did.

Sometimes I think people can badly undervalue safe yet efficient play from our pass game when acknowledging how good our D and STs can be.

"Never" might not sit well with you, but I was disappointed with Alex's play early on. He doesn't have a big arm or great accuracy (especially deep), and he was very timid in the pocket, until recently. He's strength is his conservative play, but it also hinders his ability to make big plays. It's a trade-off and we've seen Alex miss big on relatively easy deep throws.

The defense and ST is a probably the best in the NFL. I don't think many people would argue that. The offense isn't pulling their weight, IMO. It's been that way for a couple years. They're making progress, but if we want to win it all, we need to score more often and allow the defense to rest. To narrow it down, I think we must get more out of the passing attack to be able to convert 3rd downs. Improving in the intermediate throws is crucial. Alex will have more opportunities with Moss stretching the field and Manningham/Williams in the slot.

I appreciate a conservative offense, but we can't continue to weigh so heavily on the defense. Management sees that and they've upgraded the receiving corps and drafted James to catch the ball out of the backfield. I think we'll open it up a little this year. We were almost forced to be so conservative with Ginn out there. Last year's WR corps was embarrassing.
[ Edited by strickac on Jun 19, 2012 at 9:07 AM ]
We were almost forced to be so conservative with Ginn out there. Last year's WR corps was embarrassing.

I'm pleased that you are able to recognize this part... but it is this part that makes the rest of your post so.. conflicting. (maybe contradicting is a better word?)

Why wouldn't Alex be hesitant or struggle on 3rd down passing with the above quote being admitted to? This just goes back to Joe Montana's advice to fans. Be patient with a first yr passing game in the WCO.... and especially so when the receivers are less than good.

Alex played safe in yr 1.. and that was the right thing to do. Lean on a great defense and STs until the offensive scheme... and offensive weapon upgrades.. can catch up.
  • kush
  • Veteran
I still believe Colin Kaepernick is our QB of the future and think he will shine in training camp.
The thing is Alex Smith at 27 or 28 still could be in the NFL for maybe another 10 years. If he starts to really play well like top of the league well then he will stay with this team starting for a long time. Meanwhile I could see poor Kaep rotting on the bench. I almost feel he was drafted as a backup plan since nobody really knew if Smith could play well and since he has proven he can Colin has become more or less useless.

I really hoped he would be the future and do well however I don't see Alex letting him ever get on the field especially if Alex gets better, which I think he will.
Originally posted by BayArea:
The thing is Alex Smith at 27 or 28 still could be in the NFL for maybe another 10 years. If he starts to really play well like top of the league well then he will stay with this team starting for a long time. Meanwhile I could see poor Kaep rotting on the bench. I almost feel he was drafted as a backup plan since nobody really knew if Smith could play well and since he has proven he can Colin has become more or less useless.

I really hoped he would be the future and do well however I don't see Alex letting him ever get on the field especially if Alex gets better, which I think he will.

See, this is where fans simply have to bottom-line the situation by saying, " I don't give a fig WHO is in there or WHO is sitting their arse on the bench... so long as the person out there gives us the best chance for success."
We were almost forced to be so conservative with Ginn out there. Last year's WR corps was embarrassing.

I'm pleased that you are able to recognize this part... but it is this part that makes the rest of your post so.. conflicting. (maybe contradicting is a better word?)

Why wouldn't Alex be hesitant or struggle on 3rd down passing with the above quote being admitted to? This just goes back to Joe Montana's advice to fans. Be patient with a first yr passing game in the WCO.... and especially so when the receivers are less than good.

Alex played safe in yr 1.. and that was the right thing to do. Lean on a great defense and STs until the offensive scheme... and offensive weapon upgrades.. can catch up.

He doesn't get a bye. He's been ultra conservative his entire career. He loves his check down and missing on deep throws is nothing new either.
He doesn't get a bye. He's been ultra conservative his entire career. He loves his check down and missing on deep throws is nothing new either.

not sure if serious or not

but in terms of seep ball accuracy he finished in top 10

and we had the least amount of pass attempts to RB this past year (and 2nd most drops too)
Originally posted by DVDA:
Efficient would be converting third downs which the 49ers were at the bottom of the league last year. The minimal number of turnovers was nice but the passing game was not efficient. We'll see how much an entire offseason will help Alex. Hopefully we see a complete balanced offense but that lies on Alex making a big jump from last year.

Efficient is getting points with the fewest yards necessary. That's what I'm referring to. Sure, I would like better success on third downs but that will come this year with more of a TC and the OTAs. Although, sometimes third downs are over rated...as when you score on second or convert fourths.

Joe Montana said to be patient because it takes three years to get the WCO passing game down. Are you honestly gonna say you expect Smith to master it in half that time? I am not sure if you saw that article last year about this time, but you might want to take the masters word into consideration when forming your opinion of Smith. As was stated above he did not check down much last year and he was top ten in accuracy with passes of 20+ yards. So many of Smith critics are hung up on his early years that they can't do anything but become the webzones version of Jamie Dukes as soon as Smith is mentioned. After the things he accomplished last year, there should be a lot fewer questions about his game.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Efficient is getting points with the fewest yards necessary. That's what I'm referring to. Sure, I would like better success on third downs but that will come this year with more of a TC and the OTAs. Although, sometimes third downs are over rated...as when you score on second or convert fourths.

You act as if this happened a lot last season.