There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Who was the worst 49er HC?

Originally posted by cciowa:
they did not tear up the team untill the second year he was the coach, no excuse for that first year going 7-9 with a playoff roster mostly still in tact

That team did lose five games by just three points or less. Owens had fully blossomed into TO during that season and was a massive disruption to team cohesion. By that point, I doubt anyone could have handled him. There was other dissensions on that team that Erickson seemed to let fester but with the cancer that Owens had become in the clubhouse it was going to be hard to stop that from happening. Again, not arguing that Erickson was a good NFL coach. But, I wonder how Nolan and Singletary would have done (and more interesting, how they would have reacted) in the same situation.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
As crappy as Ericson, and his NFL record is, you have to cut him some slack, management was so far over the cap, they jettisoned half the team, Ericson coached a talentless team.

Nolan inherited the mess, and added talent, but was just not a good coach.

Singletary was handed a talented roster, just a few players away from from a championship caliber team, and embarrassed himself, and the franchise with an absolutely stunning lack of knowledge of X's and O's, coupled with arrogance, and favoritism, he by far is the not only the worst Niner coach I've ever seen, he just may be the worst head coach in modern the NFL. Hands down...Singletary!
they did not tear up the team untill the second year he was the coach, no excuse for that first year going 7-9 with a playoff roster mostly still in tact

Fair enough, but still Singletary by a mile!
Singletary's "finest hour" comment may have been his worst moment

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 30, 2010, 10:33 AM EDT

Rosenthal provided us on Friday with a history lesson regarding the connection between 49ers coach Mike Singletary's "finest hour" boast and the speech from Winston Churchill that prepared his people for the Battle of Britain some 70 years ago.

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties," Churchill said as England readied for Hitler's army, "and so bear ourselves that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'"

A buzz has broken out in league circles regarding Singletary's judgment, or lack thereof, in borrowing a sacred phrase from a sacred leader uttered at a solemn and horrific time. And the buzz isn't kind to the man who may be embarking on his final hours as an NFL head coach.

We don't know whether Singletary realized the import of his words, or whether he was attempting to awkwardly pay homage to Churchill with yet another misguided football-as-war metaphor.

Frankly, we don't know which would be worse.

Either way, we think that Singletary's style is far better suited for a locker room, not a podium. And for a collegiate team, not a professional one.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
As crappy as Ericson, and his NFL record is, you have to cut him some slack, management was so far over the cap, they jettisoned half the team, Ericson coached a talentless team.

Singletary was handed a talented roster, just a few players away from from a championship caliber team, and embarrassed himself, and the franchise with an absolutely stunning lack of knowledge of X's and O's, coupled with arrogance, and favoritism, he by far is the not only the worst Niner coach I've ever seen, he just may be the worst head coach in modern the NFL. Hands down...Singletary!

agree! i give sing credit for nothing. not vernon davis, nothing. i just knew everytime we would play on the road we would get blown out and we did. i hate him

agree! i give sing credit for nothing. not vernon davis, nothing. i just knew everytime we would play on the road we would get blown out and we did. i hate him

Erickson in 2003 really got screwed by kicker that year. Mind you I think Erickson still stunk, but getting screwed by a kicker in multiple close games is painful and hard to blame a coach for.

Our kickers went 11 for 13 in the 20-29 range and 7 for 12 in the 30-39 range.

Although he did have the same "bad luck" when he was here at ASU so maybe it does deal with a lot of coaching in getting your kickers ready to not blow the easy shots.

Edit: In persepctive only one kicker this year missed 2 FG's in the 20-29 range and no kicker did as bad in the 30-39 range this year.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Jun 25, 2012 at 3:57 PM ]
I can't believe Ericsson is leading in this poll.

Singletary was the worst coach in NFL history, he should win this poll running away.