LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

I want Dixon on the team in 2012

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like Anthony Dixon. I mean c'mon, what's not to like about him. Unless you are judgemental on the way someones looks or by what they're sceaming on twitter, you have a lot of good qualities to like about number 24. He has a competitive fire that we all see during games. He embraces competition with a positive attitude--hes used to it in his early career. I like a guy who loves what he is going and gives 100% no matter what he's called on to do.

What he excels at is special teams and he is always throwing his body into the mix on punt coverage, we know that. But I think we will see a big step from him because he wants to improve his play and he's working to earn his spot.

Yes, he hasn't averaged 4 yds per in his first two years, but why do people want to send him packing when he has upside. If he improves his inside vision and decisiveness hitting holes, we have a good punch with him and Hunter. Dixon has burst, and agility. He runs well outside the tackles and can run over cornerbacks.

I believe AD will make the team over Cartwright because of the potential alone, but also because he knows the system, knows his role, and he is a true team player who just wants to win. So we'll see. BIG DIX in 2012! RA RA

He knows whats at stake
no1curr
Nothing else to do again, huh?
LMJ is definitely pushing him out on the twitter count for sure.
I co-sign this thread, and never thought before that his real competition for a roster spot might be Cartwright and not Jacobs. With that in mind I'd definitely prefer Dixon to step up and win a spot, because he has potential at running back that Cartwright lacks in addition to Special Teams value.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
what's not to like about him.

I'm not sure what there is to like about him. Last year he couldn't make the short yardage runs when we needed him to, and that would really his only value to the team. I just don't see his upside anywhere, especially when we have 3 or 4 running backs that do every single thing he does, but better.
  • mod
  • Veteran
Doesnt Matter....

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Brandon Jacobs
LaMichael James
Anthony Dixon
Rock Cartwright
Jewel Hampton

We'll be keeping 4 at the very max... Either Jacobs is really slow or Anthony Dixon has vastly improved for Boobie to make the team... I like him too but we are stacked.
Originally posted by Disp:

I'm not sure what there is to like about him. Last year he couldn't make the short yardage runs when we needed him to, and that would really his only value to the team. I just don't see his upside anywhere, especially when we have 3 or 4 running backs that do every single thing he does, but better.

he's more locker room personality than anything. but heck, every court needs a jester i guess
That makes one of us
No. Dixon cost us the NFCC as much as Williams. He had a huge whole on 3rd and short, could have taken it to the house yet he danced and got stuffed for no gain.

When I saw that I knew it would come back to bite us.

• Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
he's more locker room personality than anything. but heck, every court needs a jester i guess

Then bring him in as an outside consultant . No reason to waste a roster spot on someone that's dead weight on the field.
[ Edited by Disp on Jun 7, 2012 at 6:43 PM ]

But wouldn't you say he has more versatility than all of our running backs? Honest question
Originally posted by modninerfan:
Doesnt Matter....

Frank Gore
Kendall Hunter
Brandon Jacobs
LaMichael James
Anthony Dixon
Rock Cartwright
Jewel Hampton

We'll be keeping 4 at the very max... Either Jacobs is really slow or Anthony Dixon has vastly improved for Boobie to make the team... I like him too but we are stacked.

A 5th running back will be kept for special teams purposes. They have pretty much already said that

But wouldn't you say he has more versatility than all of our running backs? Honest question

Dixon's only real value to the team is on ST and even then he wasn't one of the best on ST. He runs like a slower version of Barlow . I agree that he is good for the locker room but when your a big RB and you suck at short yardage and have no value as a pass catching RB then your value is looooowwwww. Hunter immediately stepped in as a rookie and was clearly the better RB. The only real reason I see Dixon still being on the roster is for injury insurance until cut time. Their is a slim chance he does get his act together and beats out Jacobs but again that is SLIM.
I would love to see Dixon improve and make the team. It would have the following benefits:

- He plays special teams too so he could save a roster spot for someone else by replacing Jacobs and Cartwright (would allow us to keep a 6th WR)

- It would free up salary cap space because Dixon is much cheaper than Jacobs and Cartwright (would help make it possible to keep an expensive guy like Haralson)

- He is much younger than Jacobs and could help us beyond 2012
Share 49ersWebzone