LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 386 users in the forums

Colin Kaepernick

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ7xfvFgZ1E&feature=youtube_gdata_player
According to Sports Science, Kaep had the quickest release in his draft class from recognition to release. He doesnt need to change his motion. The arm is long but quick. Just need more hours behind the wheel. CK will be great
Originally posted by Eeks:
According to Sports Science, Kaep had the quickest release in his draft class from recognition to release. He doesnt need to change his motion. The arm is long but quick. Just need more hours behind the wheel. CK will be great

no no no...we have QB gurus on this forum...

I still don't know why Harbaugh still has him as the 2nd QB, let alone still on this team...there are sooo many things that need to be fixed. including that soul patch.
From a visual standpoint I don't like him. Don't like the way the ball comes out of his hand. Just looks odd.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
no no no...we have QB gurus on this forum...

I still don't know why Harbaugh still has him as the 2nd QB, let alone still on this team...there are sooo many things that need to be fixed. including that soul patch.

Imma let Jim and Trent figure out about Kaep and these others. By now, I can trust where we are headed. We have talent discipline and purpose and as long as Kaep shows that to Jimmy, he deserves his shot. Kaep is intelligent and talented and as long as he keeps his head in the books and on refining his play, he has a chance
  • rum53
  • Veteran
How many seasons did the 49ers take to change Steve Young from a glorified running back into a Hall of Fame QB? These things don't happen overnight. They say it takes 10,000 hours of practice to master a craft. Kaepernick has had only one offseason to practice the nuances of the NFL game.

Kaepernick came from the Pistol offense that is a gimmick scheme used in college. We all knew he is raw coming out of college. Kaepernick is in the process of relearning how to play quarterback position the NFL way. These things take time. What if the 49ers gave up on Steve Young after one season of backing up Montana? I'm not saying that Kaepernick is going to be the next Young. The kid is extremely talented. Let's give him time to see how far he can go with his game.
Originally posted by sacniner:
Kaep is a project. I said after we drafted him he needs about four years on the sideline learning the art of QB'ing if he ever has a chance. Personally, I don't ever think he will be good. I wanted us to draft Dalton and was pissed when we got Kaep. We'll see though. He should be the third stringer this year, that's for sure.

I agree on the 3rd stinger. And I agree on Dalton. He's an accurate young QB. And drafting him. Well it was a high risk IMO. I'm not sure it will ever pay off either. Kaep to me seems like a real tall RB. I just don't see anything in the pocket with him. That takes years to fix and sometimes never gets fixed.
Originally posted by Eeks:

Have commented on this as well! He has an unusual motion but releases very fast. The computerized drills they ran all the QBs through were really interesting...but it wasn't on grass with huge people running at you.
Most speak of how Kaep doesn't sit in the pocket........MAYBE BECAUSE OUR LINE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO DO THAT!! This is not the Niners of old. We dont have Fiore, Deese, Ray Brown, Newberry, Sapolu. You can't just sit there and when you do picks happen plain and simple. When you move well and have an arm big and better things happen. Wow! Look at the Shanahans in here!!
Originally posted by 49rz4Life:
Most speak of how Kaep doesn't sit in the pocket........MAYBE BECAUSE OUR LINE ISNT GOOD ENOUGH TO DO THAT!! This is not the Niners of old. We dont have Fiore, Deese, Ray Brown, Newberry, Sapolu. You can't just sit there and when you do picks happen plain and simple. When you move well and have an arm big and better things happen. Wow! Look at the Shanahans in here!!

Not to mention he only had like two plays that were not designed roll outs yesterday lol
[ Edited by kush on Aug 11, 2012 at 8:48 PM ]
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ It's possible that Harbaugh asks Smith to run more spread-type plays (not necessarily the pistol, but something close) as part of the base offense. Watching old Stanford games, you saw Luck in the traditional WCO, but also in plenty of pistol formations/read-option plays...Harbaugh was constantly mixing things up even before he came here, so it's more than just a gimmick or JH trying to make Kap more comfortable. I really believe that's where this offense is going, a true mix of power WC, pistol read-option and spread formations with multiple WRs/TEs.

JH's thinking is that the more you make a D prepare for different formations, the less effective their preparation will be.

Harbaugh is like an artist as coach. He will use whatever works given the players abilities on the team. Was listening to NFLN and one of my favorite pundits, Warren Sapp, mentioned coaches trying to force players into schemes that did not highlight their strengths. He thought it was very counter productive. I agree and believe great coaches can morph their schemes around the players talent--for the most part.

Totally agree that JH will never relent from overwhelming the opposition with multiple sets and movement...yeah!

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
^^ It's possible that Harbaugh asks Smith to run more spread-type plays (not necessarily the pistol, but something close) as part of the base offense. Watching old Stanford games, you saw Luck in the traditional WCO, but also in plenty of pistol formations/read-option plays...Harbaugh was constantly mixing things up even before he came here, so it's more than just a gimmick or JH trying to make Kap more comfortable. I really believe that's where this offense is going, a true mix of power WC, pistol read-option and spread formations with multiple WRs/TEs.

JH's thinking is that the more you make a D prepare for different formations, the less effective their preparation will be.

Harbaugh is like an artist as coach. He will use whatever works given the players abilities on the team. Was listening to NFLN and one of my favorite pundits, Warren Sapp, mentioned coaches trying to force players into schemes that did not highlight their strengths. He thought it was very counter productive. I agree and believe great coaches can morph their schemes around the players talent--for the most part.

Totally agree that JH will never relent from overwhelming the opposition with multiple sets and movement...yeah!

Agree. I love our coaching staff and what they are doing and continuing to do with our team.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
So this is interesting....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/rex-ryan-was-is-interested-in-colin-kaerp/

The 49ers have their own version of Tim Tebow, only better. His name is Colin Kaepernick.

Two nights ago, Kaepernick bolted 78 yards for a touchdown on a simple Tebow-style shotgun read option. The former Nevada quarterback faked a handoff to LaMichael James, the defensive end crashed inside to clog the hole, and Kaepernick darted through the spot where the defensive end had been.

Just like Tebow.

On Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan danced dangerously close to the tampering line by making it known, in unsolicited fashion, that Ryan was interested in drafting Kaepernick in 2011.

"Again, some people think the Wildcat has come and gone. No, it hasn't. If anything, it's just the opposite. I saw the kid from San Francisco, Kaepernick," Ryan said, via comments distributed by the team. "He runs a 4.4 or something. I was really intrigued by him when he came out because I thought we were going to lose Brad. [The 49ers] drafted him before we could, but I was interested in him. He went for a 70-yard touchdown run the other day. You're seeing these guys and it's hard to defend some of that stuff. When you have the ability to throw, as well as run, it makes it tough."

It's unclear whether Ryan was just riffing, or whether he was sending messages to one or more people.

To Mark Sanchez, possibly: "Don't get too upset about the fact that we traded for Tebow. We thought about drafting last year a guy who runs faster and throws more accurately than him."

To Tim Tebow, possibly: "It would be a good idea run faster and throw more accurately."

To 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, possibly: "If you're really all in with Alex Smith, why not give us a chance at taking Kaepernick off your hands?"

To Colin Kaepernick, possibly: "If you don't like being stuck behind Smith, why not ask to be traded to the Jets?"

To the rest of the league, possibly: "Go ahead and assume that the Wildcat is dead."

Regardless, chances are it wasn't an accident that Rex publicly lamented the fact that the 49ers got Kaepernick in the second round of the 2011 draft before the Jets could get a crack at him.

Especially since the Jets didn't even have a second-round pick in 2011.

i had a good laugh at this. What is Rex's agenda? The quotes were distributed by the TEAM so its not like it was him spouting off on a radio show. This is something that the Jets FO and/or marketing okayed for release. Hard to say if it qualifies for tampering as PFT hints but it does make me wonder if the Jets were trying to trade back into second to get him.
I don't trust Rex and the Jets....weren't they b***hing at us a couple of years ago...talking s**t when they knew they didn't have to play us that year. Can't wait to play them again. I remember when they came to San Francisco and thought it would be a cake walk. I registered at their Jets Landing strip forum, and warned them don't take our 9ers and Shaun Hill lightly...little did they listen, and they were piiiissed. I didn't go back to the thread I started to gloat however... I usually don't.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I don't trust Rex and the Jets....weren't they b***hing at us a couple of years ago...talking s**t when they knew they didn't have to play us that year. Can't wait to play them again. I remember when they came to San Francisco and thought it would be a cake walk. I registered at their Jets Landing strip forum, and warned them don't take our 9ers and Shaun Hill lightly...little did they listen, and they were piiiissed. I didn't go back to the thread I started to gloat however... I usually don't.

who can forget the deliciousness of our last game against the jets

Originally posted by sfout:
So this is interesting....

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/13/rex-ryan-was-is-interested-in-colin-kaerp/

The 49ers have their own version of Tim Tebow, only better. His name is Colin Kaepernick.

Two nights ago, Kaepernick bolted 78 yards for a touchdown on a simple Tebow-style shotgun read option. The former Nevada quarterback faked a handoff to LaMichael James, the defensive end crashed inside to clog the hole, and Kaepernick darted through the spot where the defensive end had been.

Just like Tebow.

On Sunday, Jets coach Rex Ryan danced dangerously close to the tampering line by making it known, in unsolicited fashion, that Ryan was interested in drafting Kaepernick in 2011.

"Again, some people think the Wildcat has come and gone. No, it hasn't. If anything, it's just the opposite. I saw the kid from San Francisco, Kaepernick," Ryan said, via comments distributed by the team. "He runs a 4.4 or something. I was really intrigued by him when he came out because I thought we were going to lose Brad. [The 49ers] drafted him before we could, but I was interested in him. He went for a 70-yard touchdown run the other day. You're seeing these guys and it's hard to defend some of that stuff. When you have the ability to throw, as well as run, it makes it tough."

It's unclear whether Ryan was just riffing, or whether he was sending messages to one or more people.

To Mark Sanchez, possibly: "Don't get too upset about the fact that we traded for Tebow. We thought about drafting last year a guy who runs faster and throws more accurately than him."

To Tim Tebow, possibly: "It would be a good idea run faster and throw more accurately."

To 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh, possibly: "If you're really all in with Alex Smith, why not give us a chance at taking Kaepernick off your hands?"

To Colin Kaepernick, possibly: "If you don't like being stuck behind Smith, why not ask to be traded to the Jets?"

To the rest of the league, possibly: "Go ahead and assume that the Wildcat is dead."

Regardless, chances are it wasn't an accident that Rex publicly lamented the fact that the 49ers got Kaepernick in the second round of the 2011 draft before the Jets could get a crack at him.

Especially since the Jets didn't even have a second-round pick in 2011.

i had a good laugh at this. What is Rex's agenda? The quotes were distributed by the TEAM so its not like it was him spouting off on a radio show. This is something that the Jets FO and/or marketing okayed for release. Hard to say if it qualifies for tampering as PFT hints but it does make me wonder if the Jets were trying to trade back into second to get him.

This is not entirely accurate. Ryan's statements were taken from his press conference today at training camp. The New York Jets distributed the transcript of said press conference to the press, like every team does for every press conference.

Not even close to tampering by the way. Saying you liked a player on draft day is not tampering.
Share 49ersWebzone