There are 171 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

STILL no ruling...

Is Goodell on vacation or something?
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
fixed.

A DUI doesn't get you suspended in this league.

Are you sure about that?

This wasn't Aldon's first DUI though; it was his second. Second offense always draws a much more severe penalty.

Technically it was his 1st DUI. the 1st incident got pleaded down to a reckless driving.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
STILL no ruling...

Srsly, how much time does he need? He has all the facts and has met with Aldon in person.

I think he's stalling so any appeal would have to drag into the season and not be resolved before then.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
only charged for one DUI

True, but as Ben Roethlisberger knows, you don't have to actually be charged for the NFL to discipline you.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
True, but as Ben Roethlisberger knows, you don't have to actually be charged for the NFL to discipline you.

True, but.....

You were wrong when you claimed that he had two DUIs.

• BobS
  • Veteran
STILL no ruling...

Screw Goodell, dude has an ego the size of Texas. It would be in the best interest of any team for suspensions to be handed out promptly so they can plan, especially ones to start the season. Does the dictator of the NFL care, of course not.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Brian ... painting everyone (whether 49er lover or not) with a broad brush is not fair. Whether Aldon deserves this compared to other incidents by other players is neither her nor there. Since when is ANYTHING in life fair? Perhaps it is for the reasons you state, perhaps not. Jealousy is a motive for sure for all sorts of misdeeds. If so, Lynch should be suspended any day ... being that they are the current SB champs? Plenty of jealousy toward that brash, loud mouthed team right now across the NFL.

I have said this before, and you cannot change my mind. Regardless of how unfair a suspension is perceived, it was Aldon himself (and no one else) that has put himself and the team at risk. If you don't want a dictator of a commish to mete out an unjust sentence, then don't do something socially unacceptable. Aldon f'ed up multiple times, and he left himself and his team at the mercy of Goodell's whims.

At this point just end the suspense for gods sake Roger! Oh, and one thing we will never agree on (you and I Brian), is the DUI and subsequently parking into a tree. Aldon is damned lucky he didn't kill someone, or himself. If you believe in guardian angels, one was looking out for Aldon that night.

I would protest a one game suspension, but let's set that aside for now.

What is driving me absolutely friggin CRAZY, is all this talk of 6 - 8 games (!!!???). It is making my head explode. I am just trying to show how absolutely insane it is, by comparing what Aldon did with other players who have have received LESS than this.

He has ALREADY sat out FIVE GAMES voluntarily. For goodness sake. Aldon has ALREADY SAT OUT FIVE GAMES!

I simply cannot imagine this man getting suspended for a grand total of 10 or more games between the two seasons for what he has done. The CONTEXT of what he has done is a JOKE.

Tank Johnson had LOADED assault rifles. Aldon Smith just had unloaded rifles. See the difference?
Johnson had CHILDREN running around his house. Aldon Smith has a little baby who can barely walk and talk.
Johnson was on PROBATION and charged with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. Aldon Smith was assaultED.
Johnson was charged with RESISTING ARREST. Aldon Smith CALLED THE POLICE FOR HELP!

Is this compare and contrast making sense now?

To say that Aldon did similar things as Tank Johnson is cowardly and disgusting. Or perhaps just ignorant.

The fact is, Aldon's crimes ARE bad, but they are not 1/10th as bad as people who were suspended for LESS TIME than they are now talking about.
What is worse? The violent criminal? Or the non-violent, but stupid man, who is treated like a violent criminal?

I stand by what I said. This IS a witch hunt, done by a bunch of blundering ignorant buffoonish harlequins in suits, that happen to have a platform to fart out their uninformed non-sense on TV. COWARDS WITH POWER are the most dangerous of them all.

They want to burn the pretty girl at the stake, that is ALL this is about.

Suspend him for three games. FINE. Do that. But TEN GAMES? I will have a seizure; which is exactly what the fans of other teams want. They want to create as much misery and chaos as possible to their enemy. They will gladly attack the civilian population, because they don't like our team and our success.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:09 PM ]
Go Brian, go Brian, go BrianGO

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SofaKing:
STILL no ruling...

Srsly, how much time does he need? He has all the facts and has met with Aldon in person.

I think he's stalling so any appeal would have to drag into the season and not be resolved before then.

Gordon's case is front and center for the NFL right now. They will want to fully review and hand Gordon the ruling because he has multiple suspensions and multiple incidents.

Aldon has multiple incidents, a "voluntary" absence, and no prior suspensions from the NFL. Because of this his case will be on the back burner for a bit.
Originally posted by sfout:
Gordon's case is front and center for the NFL right now. They will want to fully review and hand Gordon the ruling because he has multiple suspensions and multiple incidents.

Aldon has multiple incidents, a "voluntary" absence, and no prior suspensions from the NFL. Because of this his case will be on the back burner for a bit.

And they are supposedly re-thinking their position on Mary Jane.

Originally posted by SofaKing:
STILL no ruling...

No idea. But our team needs to prepare game plans and it is important to know if Aldon will be missing time and how much so we an imcorporate other players into the defensive schemes.

This is what happens when you have a commissioner who knows jack s**t about Xs and Os and never played. f**k this twerp.

In his mind, he probably just thinks, "oh gee golly they can just plug in the backup and be on thei merry way!"
[ Edited by Young2Rice on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:47 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Brian ... painting everyone (whether 49er lover or not) with a broad brush is not fair. Whether Aldon deserves this compared to other incidents by other players is neither her nor there. Since when is ANYTHING in life fair? Perhaps it is for the reasons you state, perhaps not. Jealousy is a motive for sure for all sorts of misdeeds. If so, Lynch should be suspended any day ... being that they are the current SB champs? Plenty of jealousy toward that brash, loud mouthed team right now across the NFL.

I have said this before, and you cannot change my mind. Regardless of how unfair a suspension is perceived, it was Aldon himself (and no one else) that has put himself and the team at risk. If you don't want a dictator of a commish to mete out an unjust sentence, then don't do something socially unacceptable. Aldon f'ed up multiple times, and he left himself and his team at the mercy of Goodell's whims.

At this point just end the suspense for gods sake Roger! Oh, and one thing we will never agree on (you and I Brian), is the DUI and subsequently parking into a tree. Aldon is damned lucky he didn't kill someone, or himself. If you believe in guardian angels, one was looking out for Aldon that night.

What is driving me absolutely friggin CRAZY, is all this talk of 6 - 8 games (!!!???). It is making my head explode. I am just trying to show how absolutely insane it is, by comparing what Aldon did with other players who have have received LESS than this.

He has ALREADY sat out FIVE GAMES voluntarily. For gooness sake. Aldon has ALREADY SAT OUT FIVE GAMES!

I simply cannot imagine this man getting suspended for a grand total of 10 or more games between the two seasons for what he has done. The CONTEXT of what he has done is a JOKE.

Tank Johnson had LOADED assault rifles. Aldon Smith just had unloaded rifles. See the difference?
Johnson had CHILDREN running around his house. Aldon Smith has a little baby who can barely walk and talk.
Johnson was on PROBATION and charged with AGGRAVATED ASSAULT. Aldon Smith was assaultED.
Johnson was charged with RESISTING ARREST. Aldon Smith CALLED THE POLICE FOR HELP!

To say that Aldon did similar things as Tank Johnson is cowardly and disgusting. Or perhaps just ignorant.

The fact is, Aldon's crimes ARE bad, but they are not 1/10th as bad as people who were suspended for LESS TIME than they are now talking about.
What is worse? The violent criminal? Or the non-violent, but stupid man, who is treated like a violent criminal?

I stand by what I said. This IS a witch hunt, done by a bunch of blundering ignorant buffoonish harlequins in suits, that happen to have a platform to fart out their uninformed non-sense on TV. COWARDS WITH POWER are the most dangerous of them all.

Suspend him for three games. FINE. Do that. But TEN GAMES? I will have a seizure; which is exactly what the fans of other teams want. They want to create as much misery and chaos as possible to their enemy. They will gladly attack the civilian population, because they don't like our team and our success.

Exactly, my fellow Brian.

Honestly I think his 5 games he sat out last season should definitely be enough to not have to sit out any additional games. A fine would be more than enough of a punishment. The only think the NFL should be able to punish him for at this point is the gun charges which are misdemeanors.
Originally posted by btthepunk:

He has ALREADY sat out FIVE GAMES voluntarily. For gooness sake. Aldon has ALREADY SAT OUT FIVE GAMES!

Exactly, my fellow Brian.

Honestly I think his 5 games he sat out last season should definitely be enough to not have to sit out any additional games. A fine would be more than enough of a punishment. The only think the NFL should be able to punish him for at this point is the gun charges which are misdemeanors.

Yup at this point I think a massive fine is the most fair way to handle this. Aldon has done more than any other player has that I can think of to address the problems that led to these incidents. I honestly believe the TSA thing was all b******t and contrived by that TSA. So in response to the weapons charge he plead no contest. Taking his medicine like a man, in response to the drinking problems he has attended rehab in the middle of the season and plead no contest to those legal charges, again taking his medicine like a man.

Who else in the NFL responded to their screw ups with these kinds of acts of contrition for similar or more serious offenses? Most the time guys go out of their way to avoid taking responsibility and accepting their punishments, See: Lynch, Marshawn.
[ Edited by WINiner on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:13 PM ]
WIN, I have been saying that all along. But a caveat, however. I would also not be surprised to see a huge stick in the form of a season suspension, if Aldon screws up again, no matter the circumstances. I think that will be part of the deal and he can play immediately, or 1 game suspension at most.

He has ALREADY sat out FIVE GAMES voluntarily. For goodness sake. Aldon has ALREADY SAT OUT FIVE GAMES!

PREACH ONN BROTHA BRIAN! PREACH LIKE LOMBARDI HAS TAPPED INTO YOUR SOUL!!!!

Share 49ersWebzone