LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerSickness:
Originally posted by fryet:
Yes really. How many people do you need to tell you what to do and punish you when you don't? Government? Employer? HOA? Sanitation Department?

All of those things you mentioned are different aspects of government control (even HOA). So you mentioned Government & employers.

Employers aren't "masters." If he doesn't like his employer he can leave & go sell insurance. If he wants to stay he has to pay the piper for being a dummy. That's the agreement on which he signed in his contract (which nobody forced him to do).

Masters tell you what to do. Maybe you are thinking of a slave/master relationship - that is not what I am meaning by the word. So apparently you believe that the government enforcing laws is no longer enough. So maybe we should just pass a law - if you break the law, you lose your job. Make it simpler for employers. Is that what you want?
Hoping he returns in time for the Chiefs game
I am not doubting that the NFL has the power to do so, I am questioning whether it should. How many masters do adults need?

Masters? Really?

Yes of course they should suspend him. Everyone on planet earth who isn't a 49er fan WANTS that.

fixed.

A DUI doesn't get you suspended in this league. The weapons charges would not have progressed beyond a fine if he wasn't a celebrity. Those technicality-based gun charges are fine fodder only. He did not possess illegal weapons. He possessed legal weapons that were absent a state-mandated modification that makes changing magazines take longer. The state he bought them in did not have that requirement, so his weapons did not have that modification. He is ultimately responsible for being ignorant of the law (resulting in failed compliance), but we commit crimes of negligence everyday because we are a nation in love with obscure laws, which is comprosed of 50 states that are in love with obscure laws that are inconsistent between states. It's certainly not like he had a mess of Uzis, SAWs, and RPGs with filed-off serial numbers that he bought out of the back of a van. Stop drowning in groupthink and do a little research of your own.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Brian ... painting everyone (whether 49er lover or not) with a broad brush is not fair. Whether Aldon deserves this compared to other incidents by other players is neither her nor there. Since when is ANYTHING in life fair? Perhaps it is for the reasons you state, perhaps not. Jealousy is a motive for sure for all sorts of misdeeds. If so, Lynch should be suspended any day ... being that they are the current SB champs? Plenty of jealousy toward that brash, loud mouthed team right now across the NFL.

I have said this before, and you cannot change my mind. Regardless of how unfair a suspension is perceived, it was Aldon himself (and no one else) that has put himself and the team at risk. If you don't want a dictator of a commish to mete out an unjust sentence, then don't do something socially unacceptable. Aldon f'ed up multiple times, and he left himself and his team at the mercy of Goodell's whims.

At this point just end the suspense for gods sake Roger! Oh, and one thing we will never agree on (you and I Brian), is the DUI and subsequently parking into a tree. Aldon is damned lucky he didn't kill someone, or himself. If you believe in guardian angels, one was looking out for Aldon that night.

I'm betting the commish and aldon have deal - no DUI or any more legal incidents in pre-season, he'll let aldon off the hook. But if he even gets a parking ticket, he'll let him have it with both barrels.

I could live with this. And if Aldon has really changed his ways, this should not be hard to agree to.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
He served 5 games already.

But he was paid for those 5 games. That makes it a paid vacation. I don't really care how many games he sits out; I care that he gets a nasty hit to the wallet so that he thinks next time he's too cheap to pay for a cab.

Perfect scenario IMO: Goodell suspends him 5 games & accepts last year's games as "time served," so the suspension essentially ends up being a fine.
[ Edited by NinerSickness on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:20 PM ]
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
fixed.

A DUI doesn't get you suspended in this league.

Are you sure about that?

This wasn't Aldon's first DUI though; it was his second. Second offense always draws a much more severe penalty.
fixed.

Are you sure about that?

This wasn't Aldon's first DUI though; it was his second. Second offense always draws a much more severe penalty.
only charged for one DUI
fixed.

Are you sure about that?

I am sure that no one has received a suspension for a 1st DUI, unless they hit someone with the car. Aldon has technically only committed 1 DUI, since the 1st one in Miami was reduced. So yeah, I'm pretty sure about that. One of the main reasons that players hate Goodell is that he does whatever the hell he wants, with little regard to consistency, so there's really no telling what he'll do.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
fixed.

Are you sure about that?

only charged for one DUI

Yes the first one after his rookie year was knocked down by Dade County Fla to reckless driving
only charged for one DUI

This. Plus he did that time. Collect his money but time is served

It's been a week since the meeting w Goodell. Wonder how much longer he'll take to announce his decision.

What if he only suspends him for the last 2 preseason games? Lol
Yes really. How many people do you need to tell you what to do and punish you when you don't? Government? Employer? HOA? Sanitation Department?

All of those things you mentioned are different aspects of government control (even HOA). So you mentioned Government & employers.

Employers aren't "masters." If he doesn't like his employer he can leave & go sell insurance. If he wants to stay he has to pay the piper for being a dummy. That's the agreement on which he signed in his contract (which nobody forced him to do).

Actually, the legal definition of a master includes an employer. So nit-picking this point seems completely pointless.

To address the broader point: I don't think fryet (and others) are arguing that the League doesn't have the right to impose a suspension on Aldon (of course it does.) I think fryet (and others) are pointing out that that the League's exercise of this right results in multiple punishments on the individual and that these suspensions are unnecessary. Frankly, I think this is a good discussion to have, and fryet (and others) raise a good point.

Your point in response is not mutually exclusive and merely muddles the issue (and frankly is simply unnecessarily argumentative, which drew this response from me.)
Originally posted by Mertonschickendance:
It's been a week since the meeting w Goodell. Wonder how much longer he'll take to announce his decision.

What if he only suspends him for the last 2 preseason games? Lol

I'd appeal that down to the second half of each PS game.
He ain't gonna suspend him. Probably only get fined.
  • buck
  • Veteran
fixed.

Are you sure about that?

only charged for one DUI

True, Aldon has been convicted of one DUI.
Share 49ersWebzone