LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 243 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Lamont, I like your ideas about parents and AA sponsor going...they certainly will show good intent. And as for Pillbusta, I have felt for awhile now that the unrequested attendance of Aldon in rehab, immediately, AND 5 games lost, surely has to rate high on Goodell's board. The kid is doing the right thing. Actually I believe this was ALL Coach and Trent ,but point is, Aldon did the right thing. And missing 5 games already, on the work party, no charges in LAX...I say no lost games. Have to admit the dam Rice thing is a pizzer. What were they thinking? answer: not much. As for Rice, as I recall, he isn't a first timer.

Other thing as noted above, Aldon wasn't ever being mailicious. He made mistakes. He didn't beat someone, a woman, up. And he atoned for them and is continuing to do so. I loved the Mon trash pick up sentence. That was a super break, and it is ongoing during season, so Goodell can see Aldon repaying his debt to society every week on TV if he wants. That is all for the good. I will be amazed if Aldon loses anymore games.

If Aldon steps over the line once this year, however, then he is ALL DONE. He is on a very sticky probation, and I just hope the
"kid" in him has left and the adult comes forward.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
I'm not comparing anything. I'm concerned that regardless of the difference of the situations, that the NFL will enforce stricter penalties on the upcoming disciplinary cases simply as a way of showing that they are serious about players who have had issues with the law given the backlash from the Ray Rice suspension.

Obviously, the cases are in no way connected, but I think that may matter less to the NFL than brand awareness and a way to send a message to the public after their response to the NFL's handling of the Ray Rice case.

"Protecting the Shield" matters far more to the NFL than fairness or justice when it comes to handing out these penalties. And I fear that could be bad news for all those with upcoming cases going before Goodell.

I really wish Aldon had gone before this whole Ray Rice thing.

I see your point, but the NFL would have to go "Mr. Potatohead full retard" to suspend Aldon for an equal amount of time as a wife beater.

You say that they would do it to show they are "tough on crime", but suspending Aldon would only have the opposite effect. If they suspend Smith, it will show that they do NOT care about a player beating up a woman.

Let's say they suspend Smith for 8 games. Does that show they are tough on crime, or weak on crime? I think all it shows is that they care much LESS about domestic violence than they care about misdemeanor gun possession.
A lot of NFL fans are probably gun owners, how do you think that would make THEM feel? How do you think that would make WOMEN feel? They would be making the situation worse by giving Aldon Smith an equal penalty to a wife beater.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I see your point, but the NFL would have to go "Mr. Potatohead full retard" to suspend Aldon for an equal amount of time as a wife beater.

You say that they would do it to show they are "tough on crime", but suspending Aldon would only have the opposite effect. If they suspend Smith, it will show that they do NOT care about a player beating up a woman.

Let's say they suspend Smith for 8 games. Does that show they are tough on crime, or weak on crime? I think all it shows is that they care much LESS about domestic violence than they care about misdemeanor gun possession.
A lot of NFL fans are probably gun owners, how do you think that would make THEM feel? How do you think that would make WOMEN feel? They would be making the situation worse by giving Aldon Smith an equal penalty to a wife beater.

Well, the NFL is already trying to suspend a player one full season for smoking a plant, so they've already gone "Mr. Potatohead full retard" in my book.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Well, the NFL is already trying to suspend a player one full season for smoking a plant, so they've already gone "Mr. Potatohead full retard" in my book.

Wow. I didn't know about that. Really?

Now I am scared. Because now it's becoming random. Random penalties for random offences.
There's a lot of speculation about what the 9ers management is going to do with the cap space that was freed up with Brooks' extension. I have a feeling that Aldon may be their next preferred target (rather than say, getting a deal with Iupati or Crabtree next) after Goodell decides on Aldon's "punishment". Next to Kap, Aldon may be the most important person that is eligible for a new contract this year. If we're lucky, Aldon feels grateful for the 9ers having stuck with him and helped him get by a very bad time (I think he could have easily spiraled into a very negative place - or maybe more accurately, spiraled into an even more negative place) so that he is willing to accept to a long term deal that will only cost the 9ers a heck-of-a-lot rather than a super-duper s***load.(I wonder if Brooks had Aldon in mind when he renegotiated his contract.)

Of course, his agents will be telling Aldon to not to let emotion lead him to a deal below what he could get as a free agent and though Aldon may feel grateful, I wouldn't blame him for wanting to get as much money as possible.

Now I am scared. Because now it's becoming random. Random penalties for random offences.

Have to say if they were to suspend him now I think Aldon would have grounds for a lawsuit. Assaulting your wife gets 2 games? Aldon already self imposed 4 games....you give him anymore for this he and the union could go for the throat.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

Have to say if they were to suspend him now I think Aldon would have grounds for a lawsuit. Assaulting your wife gets 2 games? Aldon already self imposed 4 games....you give him anymore for this he and the union could go for the throat.

I hope he does. The punishments are not fitting the crimes. Ray Rice get 2 games for assaulting his wife on camera. Greg Hardy is likely to be suspended only a few games for domestic assault.

Meanwhile. Josh Gordon gets an entire year taken because he may have smoked some pot in the privacy of his own home. Peacefully, not harming a single soul. He knows the rules, and he broke them, but it's a bad rule and extremely strict. He would have passed the drug test in any other major sport, including olympics. Only the NFL would suspend a player for such small trace amounts.
Why wasn't aldon at camp today

Nvm sorting out his lax incident
[ Edited by phatbutskinny on Jul 30, 2014 at 7:18 PM ]
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, facing a significant suspension, is scheduled to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York City next Friday, Aug. 8, according to a league source.

[+] EnlargeSmith
Michael Zagaris/Getty Images
Aldon Smith will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week.
It will continue a busy time for Goodell, who is scheduled to meet with Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon this Friday, former Cowboys tackle Josh Brent within the next week, and Smith next Friday.

Each player wants an answer as soon as possible, as does their team, so they all can plan for the season ahead.

Smith is facing suspension for his behavior and off-field actions that include three felony gun charges and a DUI.

Smith, who said earlier this month that he's been sober since September, voluntarily missed five games last season when he entered a substance-abuse treatment center. In October in London, Goodell told reporters that the league might consider Smith's aggressive approach to his problem could be considered when potential discipline would be addressed.

Also, in April, Smith was arrested for an alleged fake bomb threat. The Los Angeles City Attorney's office declined to press charges.

Smith, the No. 7 overall draft pick in 2011, has 42 sacks in 43 regular-season games.

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson contributed to this report.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
San Francisco 49ers linebacker Aldon Smith, facing a significant suspension, is scheduled to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell in New York City next Friday, Aug. 8, according to a league source.

[+] EnlargeSmith
Michael Zagaris/Getty Images
Aldon Smith will meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell next week.
It will continue a busy time for Goodell, who is scheduled to meet with Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon this Friday, former Cowboys tackle Josh Brent within the next week, and Smith next Friday.

Each player wants an answer as soon as possible, as does their team, so they all can plan for the season ahead.

Smith is facing suspension for his behavior and off-field actions that include three felony gun charges and a DUI.

Smith, who said earlier this month that he's been sober since September, voluntarily missed five games last season when he entered a substance-abuse treatment center. In October in London, Goodell told reporters that the league might consider Smith's aggressive approach to his problem could be considered when potential discipline would be addressed.

Also, in April, Smith was arrested for an alleged fake bomb threat. The Los Angeles City Attorney's office declined to press charges.

Smith, the No. 7 overall draft pick in 2011, has 42 sacks in 43 regular-season games.

ESPN.com's Bill Williamson contributed to this report.

Hopefully the significant suspension is no more than the five he already served. I really want him to go against Romo.

Originally posted by jordanroberts88:
Hopefully the significant suspension is no more than the five he already served. I really want him to go against Romo.
Me too
Aldon + Carradine is gonna be a DEADLY force

When we get Bowman back..omg omg omg
  • Esco
  • Hall of Fame
Time served please
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

I hope he does. The punishments are not fitting the crimes. Ray Rice get 2 games for assaulting his wife on camera. Greg Hardy is likely to be suspended only a few games for domestic assault.

Meanwhile. Josh Gordon gets an entire year taken because he may have smoked some pot in the privacy of his own home. Peacefully, not harming a single soul. He knows the rules, and he broke them, but it's a bad rule and extremely strict. He would have passed the drug test in any other major sport, including olympics. Only the NFL would suspend a player for such small trace amounts.

I'm not a fan of marijuana and hope it never becomes fully legalized, but that's an entirely different subject.

The punishments in the NFL are definitely not fitting the crimes. Yes Josh Gordon has been caught for multiple offenses, but obviously the guy has some issues with possible addiction or he's just plain stupid to not be able to avoid smoking. Anyways, he shouldn't be receiving a year long suspension for smoking and being an idiot. That won't do anything really to help his problem. He should miss some games yes for violating the rules, but the NFL needs a better solution, such as a possible rehab therapy for players like that. There's so many guys smoking weed unfortunately anyways. Getting caught with PEDs should result in an equal or bigger punishment because those guys are cheating to get an advantage in the league.

Then like you mentioned Rice and Hardy can beat the s**t out of women and only get a few games? How does that work? The disciplinary actions by Goodell and Co are all over the place and make absolutely no sense.

Also, Aldon likely seemed in the clear or was facing a very minimal suspension this year prior to the LAX incident. Now you're telling me that the LAX incident has added onto his punishment, despite all charges being dropped? Aldon never even said the word bomb! So you can beat the s**t out of women, but God forbid you mess with the TSA in any kind of way! Aldon better not receive more than two games or I'll be pissed.

Goodell is a dictator and seems like he can do whatever he wants based on how he feels. The punishments shouldn't be so damn random, they need to be more clear and concise for the particular crimes and the number of incidents. Beating women should be one of the more severe offenses.
Anything more than what ray rice got is unacceptable. Also, all the major news outlines keep talking about felony gun charges. Well since all the charges got reduced misdemeanors, in my mind it would be better to actually report on what he got sentenced for and not what he was initially charged with.

My guy says he get a 2 game suspension and with an appeal it's reduced to a game.
Share 49ersWebzone