There are 160 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• buck
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith Sees Room for Improvement on Field

Aldon Smith didn't just pass the standard, team-wide conditioning test to open training camp.

The San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker aced it.

"A couple of guys made some comments," the svelte-looking Smith said Thursday, ahead of the squad's first practice. "I hit this offseason really hard."

Smith, who has not had a normal spring and summer off of the field, did his best to prepare for the 2014 campaign on it. He said he changed up his workouts, with an emphasis on improving his power and technique.

How exactly does a pass-rusher with 42 sacks in his first three NFL seasons get better?

"All around," Smith said. "I'm far from reaching the top, so I have some climbing to improve.

"I'm in the best shape I've been in I'm coming into a camp. My mind is in the best spot it's been in, so I'm feeling great."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Aldon-Smith-Sees-Room-for-Improvement-on-Field/960763ca-a85f-446f-bd3b-78e5f7363dce
[ Edited by buck on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM ]
Aldon has/had a reputation in Cali since that DUI/weapons incident. It's well documented that people with criminal records/outstanding court cases get targeted the most during TSA pat-downs at airports (it's also how people get plucked quickly while being on no-fly lists). So really, you gotta imagine this wasn't the first time Aldon has been given the 'curious hands' (leading up to LAX).

They all know who Aldon is, so it's no surprise (if) a TSA Schutzstaffel blurted that in the midst of the incident, but it's really unproven hearsay that wouldn't even hold up in court if the officer had not given him a Breathalyzer/drug test in the end.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
49ers' Aldon Smith: 'Best shape' ever

Aldon Smith said hours before the San Francisco 49ers started training camp Thursday that he has stayed sober since September, when he was arrested and charged with drunken driving for the second time since January 2012.

Smith voluntarily missed five games last season when he entered a substance-abuse treatment center. In October in London, Goodell told reporters that the league might consider Smith's aggressive approach to his problem could be considered when potential discipline would be addressed.

"That's in their hands," 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh said of a potential NFL suspension. "They will discipline if they feel he warrants it."

"He's going through a process, which is accounting for mistakes he made," Harbaugh said. "He's been given an opportunity to say what he's going to do, and so far he's doing that."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11260706/aldon-smith-san-francisco-49ers-viewing-training-camp-clean-slate
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gay Rice suspended for two games for beating up his girl so the NFL should give Aldon a free trip to Tahiti for wasting his time.

He punches out his girlfriend in an elevator and is on tape dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator - two game suspension.

I agree. Given that precedent, Smith shouldn't serve ANY suspension.

This.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith credits his tip-top shape to sobriety and different offseason workouts

Embattled linebacker Aldon Smith said he's in tip-top shape physically and mentally, crediting that in part to his sobriety and a different approach to offseason workouts.

"I'm in the best shape I've been in coming into a camp, and my mind's is probably in the best spot it's been in, so I'm feeling great,"� Smith said Thursday, prior to the 49ers' first full-squad practice of training camp.

Smith will at some point in the "near future" leave 49ers camp to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell regarding potential discipline. No firm date has been set, Smith said, but one option could be during the 49ers' East Coast trip in two weeks to Baltimore.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/07/24/aldon-smith-credits-his-tip-top-shape-to-sobriety-and-different-offseason-workouts/
[ Edited by buck on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:43 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
Aldon Smith credits his tip-top shape to sobriety and different offseason workouts

Embattled linebacker Aldon Smith said he's in tip-top shape physically and mentally, crediting that in part to his sobriety and a different approach to offseason workouts.

"I'm in the best shape I've been in coming into a camp, and my mind's is probably in the best spot it's been in, so I'm feeling great,"� Smith said Thursday, prior to the 49ers' first full-squad practice of training camp.

Smith will at some point in the "near future" leave 49ers camp to meet with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell regarding potential discipline. No firm date has been set, Smith said, but one option could be during the 49ers' East Coast trip in two weeks to Baltimore.

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/49ers/2014/07/24/aldon-smith-credits-his-tip-top-shape-to-sobriety-and-different-offseason-workouts/

Aldon gonna wreck the NFL this year!

Shoot a mentally and physically healthy Aldon, a physically healthy Cowboy and an influx of young talent to help carry some of the load? Our D may be naaaaaaasty this year.
[ Edited by WINiner on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:46 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith: I�€™ve been sober since September

A police spokeswoman also said that Smith was suspected to have been drinking in April when he was arrested for allegedly making a bomb threat at Los Angeles International Airport. Smith's blood-alcohol content was never tested, however, and the bomb-threat charge was eventually dropped.

Smith countered the allegation he had been drinking in L.A. by saying he's been sober since going to the alcohol rehabilitation facility in September. "I've been able to maintain (sobriety). It's going good," he said.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/24/6580228/aldon-smith-ive-been-sober-since.html#storylink=cpy
[ Edited by buck on Jul 24, 2014 at 5:50 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Aldon Smith, Vernon Davis, back in 49ers fold

http://blog.sfgate.com/killion/2014/07/24/aldon-smith-vernon-davis-back-in-49ers-fold/#25335101=0

If you like the negative, Killion provides it.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
I thought they said when he was being held at LAX for the 'incident' that there was alcohol on his breathe. Glad nothing came of that.

That was speculation. If the police knew he was drinking they would have him tested and booked. If he wasnt charged with public intoxication why are we concerned with this

This! If the police didn't bother to test him I'm not sure why it's relevant.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/police-smith-appeared-have-been-drinking-arrest

"He was not what we considered to be intoxicated," LAX Police Sgt. Karla Ortiz told CSNBayArea.com, "but he appeared as if he had been drinking earlier in the day." Sgt. Ortiz said Smith would not be administered a blood-alcohol test because, she said, "Whether he was drunk or not was not the reason for his detention, arrest or booking."

Kinda thin.
Originally posted by buck:
Aldon Smith Sees Room for Improvement on Field

Aldon Smith didn't just pass the standard, team-wide conditioning test to open training camp.

The San Francisco 49ers outside linebacker aced it.

"A couple of guys made some comments," the svelte-looking Smith said Thursday, ahead of the squad's first practice. "I hit this offseason really hard."

Smith, who has not had a normal spring and summer off of the field, did his best to prepare for the 2014 campaign on it. He said he changed up his workouts, with an emphasis on improving his power and technique.

How exactly does a pass-rusher with 42 sacks in his first three NFL seasons get better?

"All around," Smith said. "I'm far from reaching the top, so I have some climbing to improve.

"I'm in the best shape I've been in I'm coming into a camp. My mind is in the best spot it's been in, so I'm feeling great."

http://www.49ers.com/news/article-2/Aldon-Smith-Sees-Room-for-Improvement-on-Field/960763ca-a85f-446f-bd3b-78e5f7363dce

Aldon finally beats the sack record this year, book it.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

Finally? It'll be his 4th year in the league, and (hopefully) only his second complete year as a full-time player.

With a looming suspension?

Doubtful.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:

Finally? It'll be his 4th year in the league, and (hopefully) only his second complete year as a full-time player.

His 4th year in the league coming off of trouble, and many expectations; this guy almost achieved the record his rookie year, waiting for Aldon to get it is like waiting for this team to finally win a Superbowl, this is the old days, the all or nothing days.

Sure these are outrageously high expectations, but there are no excuses as to why he CAN'T break it this year. This is going to be the best 49ers team of the Harbaugh era.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

With a looming suspension?

Doubtful.

After missing several games last year he got 8.5... never say never or doubtful for that matter

Hopefully, his punishment is no worse than the Ray Rice treatment
[ Edited by LVJay on Jul 24, 2014 at 10:10 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone