There are 149 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by theduke85:
NO WAY the league ignores this.
Purely hypothetical here, but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility that Aldon is suspended and we start the year without Bowman and Aldon.

Anything is possible.

IMO, if the media makes a VERY big deal of this and keeps the story alive it could happen.

VER glad we have Lemoniere, Skuta and Wilhoite coming off the bench.
the media did not create the story. they may be an enabler but in the end our players make their own choices.
The unfortunate thing about Aldon is this happened and the "bomb" word was used in the airport. Rightly or wrongly, the Feds(TSA under contract to Govt, but with govt rules)uses the word as almost a "needs to be jailed " type of situation. With all the loonies and outright terrorists out there, no one could complain much. But jeez, Aldon, that is one word you just do not use in airport. Stupidity is the main crime here. Government crackdown on the word "bomb" is the other half of it.

As for kap, whether white/black/green/red/purple...that doesn't matter. If he really and truly wants people to look up to him, he first needs to reconnoiter, hang with friends who are straight arrows, and go from there. Anyone caring about his perception by others best find guys as friends who won't lead him into situations that are questionable. The rest just happens if he finds himself in a situation such as just occurred. He doesn't have to do anything wrong to have people question his character. As he now knows, just "being there" is bad enough. Kap is overly concerned about how he is perceived (answering individual challenges to his abilities on his iphone), yet he doesn't think about who or where he is in the offseason? Incredible immaturity, it will cost him actual dollars when contract is re-signed(and I hope it is), and worst of all, his perception by his coach, GM, owner...just fell into the toilet bowl. As for the fans, well there will be some that don't forget this, regardless of what actually happened. He was there...therefore, he was guilty.

That is NOT the way most of us feel, but rest assured some will. And all from just one poorly thought out event, whatever it was. Kap would be wise to ditch his iphone and just play football, sleep football, study football, live football. Let his actions speak to those who doubt. If he is mature, he will re-establish his character. If he is immature as this one incident shows, he will continue as before instead of dedicating every waking hour to football on and off the field. If he does that, this incident just melts away. I have no idea what kap will ultimately do, but I sure hope it is the live, breathe, eat and sleep football, 12 mos a yr. If not, F.O, and mgmt. may decide they made a mistake. I sure hope not because we are already starting on our 4th yr, and he has 1.5 yrs of game time under his belt(with 3 incredible NFCC appearances). But regardless of what happens, the rest is up to kap.

Nobody can make Kap make good decisions. It is an inside job.
Alcoholism is a disease; I get it. But, there are drunks and there are stupid, belligerent drunks. Aldon seems to be the latter. This young man needs consequences beyond another stint in rehab, like an extended suspension, and maybe even a reflection in his next contract in case of future regressions. What he doesn't need is people making excuses for him!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Alcoholism is a disease; I get it. But, there are drunks and there are stupid, belligerent drunks. Aldon seems to be the latter. This young man needs consequences beyond another stint in rehab, like an extended suspension, and maybe even a reflection in his next contract in case of future regressions. What he doesn't need is people making excuses for him!
the people who make excuses are enablers and they are just as bad as those who buy him the booze and urge him to drink. many many do have to go back to rehab multiple times
Originally posted by cciowa:
the media did not create the story. they may be an enabler but in the end our players make their own choices.

They rarely create the stories but you are correct they are the Enablers.
LMAO! He Falkered! So, you can't say "bomb" on a plane or at an airport?

I guess I don't feel so bad about ALWAYS getting the secondary screening check.

The most disappointing part of this is I guess he is off the wagon. Hoped he would keep turning it around. Sure is pissing millions away.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Kap is going to have the elevate the team. Turnover in the backfield an possibly missing Aldon and the D MVP. I think there's a good chance they start off as a shadow of themselves.

I was a bit worried about some sort of regression towards the mean. After all 3 straight NFC CG is an extreme result. A forth is even more extreme. Missing Aldon and losing Cornerback depth in Culliver might be the signal towards the 49ers moving that way. I hope not.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

They rarely create the stories but you are correct they are the Enablers.
thats why its upsetting our guys are putting ourselves in these types of spots knowing they will attract the media, add to that we are a high profile team with a high profile coach,, well there you go
  • thl408
Sorry if it's been posted:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/49ers-aldon-smith-risk-of-off-field-trouble-draft-psych-test-lax-alleged-bomb-threat-041414

Smith, who was arrested Sunday for allegedly making a bomb threat at Los Angeles International Airport, was red-flagged before the 2011 draft by the North Carolina-based scouting service Human Resource Tactics, which works with subscribing NFL teams.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
How many charges can pile up for Aldon before he is suspended?

I would think a felony has to stick first in the legal system before Goodell would suspend. The NFL PA is a pretty powerful body and I don't think anything less than a Felony conviction would result in a significant suspension. I think the bomb threat can be pled down, I hope. The DUI can be pled down, I hope. The fact that he self suspended himself 5-ish games is also a consideration and on top of that he got help from a DUI clinic is a factor also. The NFL PA union will be the 49ers best friend in Cully and Aldon's case right now, and whoever else is going to be arrested. (I hope this is the end of it - Frankly I'm getting tired of these kinds of news stories).

He will be suspended based off of his other pending legal issues, this is just hte cherry on the cake. Right now we have to assume he will not be starting the season playing for us.
Originally posted by 4evrfan:

Not sure the latest incident was alcohol related.

Aldon is an idiot for what he did at LAX, but it's actually pretty common. People that are traveling are often rushed, anxious, and tired. I've seen a 75 year old white woman do the same thing Aldon did, and get detained. It's not smart, but it's not felony gun charges or DUI. We don't even know what he said. I mean, if the TSA stops you for secondary screening and you reply, "Is that necessary? It's not like I have a bomb or something" then all the TSA hears is "bomb" and you're detained. They are trained to arrest first and ask questions later because no one wants to be the person responsible for actually letting a guy on a plane with a bomb.
New CBA sucks!
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I refuse to call Kilgore a dumbass. He was intoxicated, but he was literally walking down the street minding his own business.

What happened to kilgore?
All I know is a team's "window" has officially closed when players start getting arrested!

Share 49ersWebzone