LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 204 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by KD49ers:
do you guys think aldon smith might just be a 3rd down pass rush guy for the rest of the season and maybe replace kyle williams as punt returner?

is williams getting benched for sure?

#t=22

How did he get so close? ha
Niners were granted one week roster exemption for aldon smith.... Per Balke 95.7 the game. Might not be back as soon as we thought
Originally posted by Broseph6:
Niners were granted one week roster exemption for aldon smith.... Per Balke 95.7 the game. Might not be back as soon as we thought

huh?
Will probably be like with what happened with Dobbs' suspension. Aldon won't play this week and we will be able to bring back Manningham or Wright (1 of them) without having to cut anybody since we cut Moore for Aldon and Aldon is not on the roster (roster exemption). So if I understood this right we will only have to cut 1 player when both those guys come back. Then when Aldon comes back after this week and is officially on the roster then we would have to cut a player. So we could have 53 players plus Aldon (roster exemption like Dobbs) then when Aldon comes back we have to cut one to get back to 53. I could be off on this though.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 1, 2013 at 7:10 PM ]

All that means is they don't need to release anyone till next week.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Will probably be like with what happened with Dobbs' suspension. Aldon won't play this week and we will be able to bring back Manningham or Wright (1 of them) without having to cut anybody since we cut Moore for Aldon and Aldon is not on the roster (roster exemption). So if I understood this right we will only have to cut 1 player when both those guys come back. Then when Aldon comes back after this week and is officially on the roster then we would have to cut a player. So we could have 53 players plus Aldon (roster exemption like Dobbs) then when Aldon comes back we have to cut one to get back to 53. I could be off on this though.

That is fine with me, want Aldon to get healthy & back in football shape before putting him on the field. No need to rush the guy back this week, we need him for the long haul.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I believe we would have 52 since Moore got cut for Aldon and now Aldon is a roster exemption. So we could have Manningham or Wright come back and not have to cut anyone for the 1st one back. Then 2nd one back we would have to cut one. We went 53 with Moore to 52 after cutting him, then back to 53 with Aldon then roster exemption back to 52. 1st one back between Manningham makes 53 again no need to cut anyone then 2nd one comes back (both should be by Monday) we have to cut 1 to get to 53. Then Aldon comes back next week and we have to cut someone. Then Crabtree is likely as well and another for him. My guess is we won't be riding these new guys (Tank, Wright, Manningham) to hard against the Panthers and then Aldon and Crabtree will be back and we will take the reins of those other guys for the Saints. So no holding back for the Saints. Plus we could get Moody too so if I got this figured out right 1 cut for Manningham and Wright, 1 for Aldon, 1 for Crabtree and 1 for Moody makes 4 cuts yet.

Edit: I just found this from Maiocco:
He will not count against the 49ers' 53-man roster until late next week.

So actually he will have to be activated again and someone will have to be cut before the Panthers game. Sounds like it's literally a week not a week meaning 1 game. So by next Friday or so he will have to be activated so that doesn't mean he will be out for the game.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 1, 2013 at 7:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

I believe we would have 52 since Moore got cut for Aldon and now Aldon is a roster exemption. So we could have Manningham or Wright come back and not have to cut anyone for the 1st one back. Then 2nd one back we would have to cut one. We went 53 with Moore to 52 after cutting him, then back to 53 with Aldon then roster exemption back to 52. 1st one back between Manningham makes 53 again no need to cut anyone then 2nd one comes back (both should be by Monday) we have to cut 1 to get to 53. Then Aldon comes back next week and we have to cut someone. Then Crabtree is likely as well and another for him. My guess is we won't be riding these new guys (Tank, Wright, Manningham) to hard against the Panthers and then Aldon and Crabtree will be back and we will take the reins of those other guys for the Saints. So no holding back for the Saints. Plus we could get Moody too so if I got this figured out right 1 cut for Manningham and Wright, 1 for Aldon, 1 for Crabtree and 1 for Moody makes 4 cuts yet.

My point was just that the roster exemption has no bearing on when Aldon plays.
Aldon's coming back!

*Fires shots in the air*

Oh wait, probably not a good idea.
  • buck
  • Veteran
My point was just that the roster exemption has no bearing on when Aldon plays.

Aldon will play when the team determines it is appropriate.

I really do think that Baalke and Harbaugh are entirely capable of making that decision without my help.

This.

This crap about "if it were me I'd still be in jail" is total BS. People who say this don't know how this works.

Aldon surrendered himself and posted bail just like anyone else would.

The truth tho is that Aldon likely never would have been charged with teh Gun possession charge if he weren't a public figure and there wasn't heat on the DA.

My point was not to compare me with Aldon. I know it came off that way though and that was my fault.

One. Smith got out on bail for the DUI before California law allowed it.

Second. Smith had weed he was not charged for.

Three. Smith had illegal firearms he wasn't charged for at least 2 years. Yes there may have beem some legal semantics involved but the fact the charges were filed after the DUI leads me to] believe they were shelved because of his status but became undeniable after his latest mix up with the law.

Four. He had to turn himself for the charges which implies he had a warrant out for his arrest. If you have a warrant out for your arrest on weapons charges the police come get you regardless of rehab. In fact the courts knew where he was at. The rehab was not court mandated either so they have.no legal obligation to allow him to finish. They certainly don't have to wait for him to get good and ready to turn himself in.

Five. Do you really think the state of Cali lets felony charges slide for 2 years for every person? I bet any normal person would've been booked the day of.

I just don't see how anyone can possibly think Smith was the victim in these situations. Please don't think Im trying to make him out to be a bad person. Im glad it worked out this way from a fan standpoint. Its just very hard for me to believe the scales of justice haven't been tipped in Smiths favor. My logical side just can't wrap my head around.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:12 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:

One. Smith got out on bail for the DUI before California law allowed it.

This is just not true. California law does not establish how long a person must be held before they can be released on bail for a DUI arrest.
[ Edited by buck on Nov 1, 2013 at 10:18 PM ]
Balke: "we have a well structured plan for aldon."

translation:

We will tell him to get after the QB as part of his rehab.
Originally posted by buck:
This is just not true. California law does not establish how long a person must be held before they can be released on bail for a DUI arrest.

It was reported that protocol for DUI requires the arrestee remained detained for at least 5 hours and no more than 8. This procedure allows the alcohol to metabolize.so the police are not releasing an intoxicated person onto the streets.

Smith was released after an hour and forty minutes which means Smith was probably still over the limit at the time of his release. I find it hard to believe the sheriffs office releases offenders who could still be inebriated.

Its just not a smart practice, and I bet it's a practice that is rarely exercised.

Smith situations appears to be a special one though.

You're right though. Im sure it's not California law, but if these situations are handled a certain way internally than it should be handled the same way for everyone. And yet again it makes perfect sense to hold an intoxicated person in custody until the intoxicant wears off.
Yeah but, since this week is a bye it seems like a one week exemption has almost zero consequence. I don't think it will delay his return at all.
Share 49ersWebzone