LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 148 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by 9erReign:
Btw Idaho here is the link the other poster referenced: http://www.ninersnation.com/2013/10/10/4821462/aldon-smith-charges-felony-weapons-possession-dui-political-games

According to that post (no real credibility) the charges are specific intent crimes http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Specific+Intent

I'm not a lawyer though.

Thanks for the link. Ill read it in just a bit. Im no lawyer either, but i am a bit of a gun nut, and have lived in CA so i am somewhat familiar with the draconian laws regarding firearms.

Ok, while i appreciate the link, that is all an opinion piece, and the guy didnt even get his information right about the DUI charge, unless i missed something, wasnt it later announced that he was never charged with Marijuana?

I was not aware of the specific intent, but i still havent seen anything conclusive as to what he has actually been charged with.

ETA: i dont know how many in here are familiar with CA gun laws, but in CA i beleive even some SKS models (unless c&r(curio and relic) compliant) are indeed considered Assault weapons if not fitted with CA compliant modifications and parts.

For those that dont know what an SKS is, it is a rifle with a fixed ten round magazine that is fed from the top by stripper clips.

So again, my main interest right now is finding out what the "assault rifle" was and what compliant parts it had.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Heed49er:
For real?

Stabbed at a club.
DUI in a school zone hours before practice.
Discharging firearms at a party while drunk.

If he wasn't famous he'd be in prison.

Stabbed at his house
LOL School Zone, oh ok
Oh you know his BAC when he fired?

Sorry I didn't memorize his GTA spree.

Here's the salient points:
Stabbed
DUIs plural
Shooting at people.

Are you saying he was sober at this party when he shot at people? Is that supposed to be better or worse?
For real?

Stabbed at a club.

Stabbed at his house
LOL School Zone, oh ok

Stabbed
DUIs plural
Shooting at people.

Are you saying he was sober at this party when he shot at people? Is that supposed to be better or worse?

He was stabbed at his party and DEFENDED HIMSELF by firing into the AIR. Cause and effect. Not an isolated incident. That isn't even disputed. He didn't shoot AT anyone. He SHOULD have called the police, but it isn't the crime spree you are making it out to be.

Why are these charges about possession and not about assault? The police considered his actions SELF DEFENSE.

Again. Pay attention.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:49 PM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Pay attention....

Stabbed AT HIS HOUSE and discharged his gun to get the men who stabbed him to leave. At least be accurate.

I don't care enough to memorize this dude's specific police blotter.

Stabbed
DUIs
Shooting at people at his own party.

It seems like every story about this guy that doesn't involve QB sacks is something negative.
Ok, while i appreciate the link, that is all an opinion piece, and the guy didnt even get his information right about the DUI charge, unless i missed something, wasnt it later announced that he was never charged with Marijuana?

I was not aware of the specific intent, but i still havent seen anything conclusive as to what he has actually been charged with.

ETA: i dont know how many in here are familiar with CA gun laws, but in CA i beleive even some SKS models (unless c&r(curio and relic) compliant) are indeed considered Assault weapons if not fitted with CA compliant modifications and parts.

For those that dont know what an SKS is, it is a rifle with a fixed ten round magazine that is fed from the top by stripper clips.

So again, my main interest right now is finding out what the "assault rifle" was and what compliant parts it had.

the guns aren't legal because of technical specs that most of us know nothing about.... which could be in Aldons favor considering the jury would not understand the difference in why the same model is legal or not legal in Cali

On another note, Marshawn Lynch had DUI legal troubles before his Cali gun charge and he is still playing with no jail time
Pay attention....

Stabbed AT HIS HOUSE and discharged his gun to get the men who stabbed him to leave. At least be accurate.

I don't care enough to memorize this dude's specific police blotter.

Stabbed
DUIs
Shooting at people at his own party.

It seems like every story about this guy that doesn't involve QB sacks is something negative.

Again brainiac...he never shot AT anyone. You wanna judge the guy then at least have the decency to know something of what you speak.

Ya know what tho...why bother with facts when the fiction is so much more fun. Sigh.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 10, 2013 at 6:52 PM ]
For real?

Stabbed at a club.

Stabbed at his house
LOL School Zone, oh ok

Stabbed
DUIs plural
Shooting at people.

What I'm saying is that he was stabbed at his party and DEFENDED HIMSELF by firing into the AIR. Cause and effect. Not an isolated incident. That isn't even disputed. He didn't shoot AT anyone. He SHOULD have called the police, but it isn't the crime spree you are making it out to be.

Why are these charges about possession and not about assault? The police considered his actions SELF DEFENSE.

Again. Pay attention.

Please someone refresh my memory, because its a bit foggy. I thought the stabbing was a seperate incident, not the same night of the party? or am i mistaken on that. I had kind of purged this stuff from my memory bank, purposely. I remember their being a bar altercation or something like that?

He also had the incident where he was the passenger in a car crash, dunno if the driver was drunk or not.
I think everyone is overreacting. Is what he did messed up...YES. Is he going to get jail time...NO. Will he play again this season...YES, after the buy, bank on it.
Aldon better be working out at the Betty Ford clinic.
For real?

Stabbed at a club.

Stabbed at his house
LOL School Zone, oh ok

Stabbed
DUIs plural
Shooting at people.

What I'm saying is that he was stabbed at his party and DEFENDED HIMSELF by firing into the AIR. Cause and effect. Not an isolated incident. That isn't even disputed. He didn't shoot AT anyone. He SHOULD have called the police, but it isn't the crime spree you are making it out to be.

Again. Pay attention.

Please someone refresh my memory, because its a bit foggy. I thought the stabbing was a seperate incident, not the same night of the party? or am i mistaken on that. I had kind of purged this stuff from my memory bank, purposely. I remember their being a bar altercation or something like that?

He also had the incident where he was the passenger in a car crash, dunno if the driver was drunk or not.

You are mistaken.

Essentially...

Aldon and Delanie had a party with a cover charge.
"Unwanted" guests arrived and started trouble.
Aldon tried to get them to leave and was stabbed.
Instead of calling the police, the young and foolish Aldon Smith got his gun and fired it into the air to clear the crowd.
People on the other side of the street firewd back and hit 2 people at the party (and those 2 have since sued).
When the police arrived, they found illegal firearms at Aldons house.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 24plus25er:
I think everyone is overreacting. Is what he did messed up...YES. Is he going to get jail time...NO. Will he play again this season...YES, after the buy, bank on it.

i agree with your first two bullet points,, in regards to him after the bye,,,, am not sure i agree there
Originally posted by cciowa:

i agree with your first two bullet points,, in regards to him after the bye,,,, am not sure i agree there

I'd bet money he's back after the bye.
Aldon's made mistakes no doubt but we all have. His are bigger and more publicized because of his social status, but legally that's not a reason to hold him to a higher standard. I hope he plays this season, but more importantly I hope he learns he cannot continue on this path.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:

I'd bet money he's back after the bye.
i hope you are right,,, my opinion was not life or death i always prepare for the worst case so i can temper my predictable meltdown when it inevitably happens.. i really do not expect to see him this year so that means i am setting myself up to be pleasantly surprised when he re surfaces after the break
Originally posted by blizzuntz:

the guns aren't legal because of technical specs that most of us know nothing about.... which could be in Aldons favor considering the jury would not understand the difference in why the same model is legal or not legal in Cali

On another note, Marshawn Lynch had DUI legal troubles before his Cali gun charge and he is still playing with no jail time

Yea im not really interested in other athlete cases. Aldons is very unique in its own right.

And yes, i explained some about CA compliant parts, but from my experience, MOST gun owners do indeed do research as to the laws of their states regarding firearms. Most CA gun owners are very aware of the need for compliant parts.

I was aware of them before i was old enough to own a gun in CA. They are nothing new really.

The jury would indeed understand the difference, as the differences are typically very visual. For example, my AR-15 has a pistol grip, colapsable stock, and flash hider. To my understanding, all of these features are illegal in CA. All they would have to do is show a picture of Aldons gun, and a CA compliant gun and the Jury would see the difference.

Again, im not arguing about the likelyhood of a felony conviction, im just discussing what i know about firearms.
Share 49ersWebzone