There are 152 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
wonder how soon after he gets back he'll be suspended and for how long? you guys think the commish will go lighter on him since hes not playing already and going to rehab? and it wasnt an illegal substance. dobbs got 1 game suspension and this is the first time aldon has had an incident midseason. hopefully if they punish him its a one or two game and nothing longer. or postpone it til next season

I would say on top of his time in rehab Im hoping for 1 game and a pretty big fine.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
One of those red flags, being the validity of the idea that Aldon has a serious addition to alcohol. The validity is questioned, because if the problem is bad enough that we need to take the unprecedented action of sending a player to a rehab facility during a football season, then this scale of problem should have been noticed BEFORE the season, and not during.
Again, let me post this. Here is the clinical definition of a high-functioning alcoholic:

"Appear to the outside world to be managing life well."
"Skilled at living a compartmentalized life (i.e., separating professional, personal and drinking lives)"
"Well respected for job/academic performance and accomplishments"

Stop saying that they would've taken action a long time ago if they knew this was a problem. It is completely possible that this has been a problem all along but that it has not manifested itself around the team in a professional environment. Why you continue to ignore this fact is absolutely baffling to me. It's like you're just ignoring this fact to play devil's advocate or something.
And for the record, no, none of us know definitively if Smith is truly an alcoholic. However, all of the evidence overwhelmingly points to the fact that he is. Why on earth would the 49ers and Smith go into rehab as a publicity stunt? That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, especially considering Smith is going to be suspended when he comes back anyway.
We don't know if be will be suspended. For all we know he may not because he voluntarily suspended himself for a longer time then the league would have.

Like was said earlier this hasnever happened before. Anything is possible at this point.
[ Edited by kingairta on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:44 PM ]
Originally posted by kingairta:
We don't know if be will be suspended. For all we know he may not because he voluntarily suspended himself for a longer time then the league would have.

Like was said earlier this hasnever happened before. Anything is possible at this point.

Id expect at least a week so goodell can feel like hes still in charge. but i think a big fine would really be all that's necessary imo.
[ Edited by LoneWolf on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:45 PM ]
BrianGO is really passionate about alcoholism denial.

Draw your own conclusions.

/topic
[ Edited by redrathman on Oct 8, 2013 at 9:55 PM ]
History says suspensions will be levied. But not till after the court has its way. By the way I guess you missed the part where a Washington politician was able to get Lynch's trial postponed.

I'm thinking the NFL will give time served. Giving us Aldon when we need him most instead of questioning when will we lose him. Like youndsid hasn't been done before. So anything is a possibility.

And quit ignoring the fact Aldon checked himself in. The team didn't force him. If that was the case he never would have played that game.

It's too bad that Lynch didn't ignore the politician and check himself into an alcohol rehabilitation facility. He should take a page out of Aldon Smith's book of noble deeds.

"Tis a far far better thing that I do now...".

Leave it to a Niners fan, who has ZERO idea about whats is actually going on to put the team before the individual. This really is a new low. You should be ashamed of yourself BrianGo. Instead of applauding both the Niners and the player for putting his greater good and future in life as the priority, you down them for "Overreacting" and somehow scorn the decision to put life before a freaking game. Ridiculous.

I have lost all respect for you as a poster.
Folks leaving in a dream world thinking a guy with his 2nd dui isn't getting suspended
[ Edited by lamontb on Oct 9, 2013 at 12:49 AM ]
Posters appear to have forgotten the rules when posting in this thread. Back off with the personal stuff. Seriously.
Originally posted by redrathman:

/topic

What do his reasons for such an opinion have to do with us? This is a very mean spirited post and rather unpleasant.

• Ether
  • Veteran
Get over your self.

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Comparing Lynch to Aldon is stupid. Lynch may just be an idiot who got caught. Aldon went VOLUNTARILY the team did not make him go. I'm pretty sure the CBA prevents that.

Your last statement about Seattle tells me your more worried about wins then the health of a human being.

Aldon: "Mr. York?"
Jed: "Yes Aldon?"

Aldon: "I am going to suspend myself and check into an alcohol rehab clinic."
Jed: "Really Aldon? Right now during the season? You'll miss a lot of games."

Aldon: "Now is as good a time as any."
Jed: "I didn't realize you were an alcoholic. I thought you just made a poor decision."

Aldon: "No its much deeper than that, sorry to say, I am."
Jed: "Wow. That's really noble of you Aldon. I don't think any player has ever done this before in the history of the NFL."

Aldon: "Yeah, well, I am a very noble guy."
Jed: "Don't worry, we won't tell anybody, and we'll happily pay you for your noble cause."

Aldon: "Gee, thanks. That's nice of you."

Yeah...

I'm sure it happened just like that.

Actually, it probably went something like...

Jed York: Hey Aldon, check yourself into alcoholism rehab. If you do so, we'll continue to pay your full salary and are behind you all the way
Aldon: "Ok"

Either way, he still voluntarily checked himself into rehab
Originally posted by English:
Posters appear to have forgotten the rules when posting in this thread. Back off with the personal stuff. Seriously.

ban some dudes!!!!
Is it me or does Aldon Smith seem to be bad at stopping the run and only focused on sacking the QB.
Seems like when Aldon is lining up teams have been running the ball at Aldon's side. Aldon tends to over-pursue the QB towards the outside and leaves the inside gap open, which other teams would exploit on run plays.

Don't get me wrong, Aldon is good at pressuring the QB, but his lack of playing the run hurts us too. Just my impression...
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by redrathman:

/topic

What do his reasons for such an opinion have to do with us? This is a very mean spirited post and rather unpleasant.

When I read your posts, I do so, in a Hugh Grant voice.
Originally posted by ginseng1000:
Is it me or does Aldon Smith seem to be bad at stopping the run and only focused on sacking the QB.
Seems like when Aldon is lining up teams have been running the ball at Aldon's side. Aldon tends to over-pursue the QB towards the outside and leaves the inside gap open, which other teams would exploit on run plays.

Don't get me wrong, Aldon is good at pressuring the QB, but his lack of playing the run hurts us too. Just my impression...

I don't see that. He's been pretty decent as a run stopper and has taken some strides to becoming a good all around OLB.
Share 49ersWebzone