LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 316 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the change in the domestic violence penalty is a bad omen for Aldon. They look stupid with the Rice suppension and had no mercy on Gordon. I think this means Aldons looking at 6 weeks or so, but I'm unsure if he'll get "time served?"

That doesn't make any sense. Come down harder on the non-violent offender, to prove that you are tough on domestic violence?

"We are tough on domestic violence. To prove the point, watch us castrate this perfectly innocent, non-violent 10 year old boy." ???
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Why doesn't Godell go back and correct his suspension on Rice? Seems like the right thing to do.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the change in the domestic violence penalty is a bad omen for Aldon. They look stupid with the Rice suppension and had no mercy on Gordon. I think this means Aldons looking at 6 weeks or so, but I'm unsure if he'll get "time served?"

Unfortunately, I would have to agree that it's not a good sign for Aldon. I have no idea how long he will be suspended for, but Goodell would have taken another PR hit if he suspended Aldon more than the 2 games Ray Rice got.

But by releasing this new domestic violence policy (coincidentally one day before he's expected to possibly suspend Aldon) he's now able to better justify suspending him for more than 2 games.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Why doesn't Godell go back and correct his suspension on Rice? Seems like the right thing to do.

I have a strong feeling Ray Rice, the Ravens, NFLPA, and lawyers would fight that to the death, and win.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Unfortunately, I would have to agree that it's not a good sign for Aldon. I have no idea how long he will be suspended for, but Goodell would have taken another PR hit if he suspended Aldon more than the 2 games Ray Rice got.

But by releasing this new domestic violence policy (coincidentally one day before he's expected to possibly suspend Aldon) he's now able to better justify suspending him for more than 2 games.

Yes then what is he telling organizations and player like Aldon who try to immediately and in season do the right thing and get the help Aldon needs while forfeiting 5 games of his season in doing so? They will instead encourage the behavior we have already seen by other clubs who proceed to play their star players while they stall delay delay and delay with their legal proceedings to delay league discipline and then they get test results thrown out on technicalities and have cases reduced to lesser charges then when the dust settles in the next offseason they end up with no league discipline at all and will probably be a repeat offender. Aldon got real help in season and both we and he should be commended for it. His discipline should be lessened as a result IMO
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Yes then what is he telling organizations and player like Aldon who try to immediately and in season do the right thing and get the help Aldon needs while forfeiting 5 games of his season in doing so? They will instead encourage the behavior we have already seen by other clubs who proceed to play their star players while they stall delay delay and delay with their legal proceedings to delay league discipline and then they get test results thrown out on technicalities and have cases reduced to lesser charges then when the dust settles in the next offseason they end up with no league discipline at all and will probably be a repeat offender. Aldon got real help in season and both we and he should be commended for it. His discipline should be lessened as a result IMO

I agree with you. I'm just trying to predict what Goodell will do, not what I think he should do. He consistently does the wrong thing.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
Just read the letter. This isn't going to be good, unfortunately. Goodell admitted to being too lenient on Rice, and that usually leads to over compensating. Sucks that Rice got the lenient punishment and Aldon gets to be the example. Ugh. Not a good sign this policy and letter came out today. I'm guessing 6 games now. My previous guess was 3.

Agree, unfortunately. f**k Goodell.
Roger Goodell is a f**king asshat.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Just read the letter. This isn't going to be good, unfortunately. Goodell admitted to being too lenient on Rice, and that usually leads to over compensating. Sucks that Rice got the lenient punishment and Aldon gets to be the example. Ugh. Not a good sign this policy and letter came out today. I'm guessing 6 games now. My previous guess was 3.

Agree, unfortunately. f**k Goodell.

He'll get 6 games, then get it reduced to 4. That's about right where it should be.
The big determinant will be whether Aldon's voluntarily absence will count towards his suspension.

Originally posted by mayo49:
He'll get 6 games, then get it reduced to 4. That's about right where it should be.

Agree, this is very likely, assuming Aldon will try and get it reduced.

6 games for what though? Not the DUIs because it is well documented his atoning for that illness. LAX? Heck no! The case was dropped. The guns? Is there a precedent for a first time offense of illegal possession in the NFL? He didn't have criminal intent because if he had he would not have allowed the PD to search his home without a warrant until he had the chance to modify or remove his weapons. If Goodell does this for guns his attorneys and the NFLPA should go hard on Goodell as well as the 49ers because they made a good faith effort to rectify the situation and get Aldon help and they have every right to recieve discipline in the same timely fashion as the Ravens did so that we can cut down our roster properly and make provisions for this upcoming season
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
The big determinant will be whether Aldon's voluntarily absence will count towards his suspension.

I think it should erase the DUIs but the guns are a separate issue. IMO his discipline should come solely from the guns possession
Anything more than 6 games with 5 already served is too excessive.
4 is even too much, IMO, but I would take it at this point. I really wouldn't be surprised to see a 6 game suspension total given how Goodell wants to show strength against weapons and DUIs.

Then he makes a complete mockery of what the 49ers did in season to the tune of 5 games missed in getting Aldon real help for his alcoholism. No one else, including the 49ers will ever give a f*** about doing the right thing by the player and society at large again!
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Aug 28, 2014 at 3:24 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone