LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 277 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
In makes sense that the announcement will take place tomorrow. After tonight's game but before Saturday's cutdown. Is this too logical?

Yes . . . and it's a Friday before a three day weekend so not many people outside the Bay Area will be paying close attention. Tomorrow has to be the day.

If not I call shenanigans.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
In makes sense that the announcement will take place tomorrow. After tonight's game but before Saturday's cutdown. Is this too logical?

Yes . . . and it's a Friday before a three day weekend so not many people outside the Bay Area will be paying close attention. Tomorrow has to be the day.

If not I call shenanigans.

Tomorrow makes too much sense. Unless Goodell wants to glorify the rehab related actions of Aldon Smith and the organization.

I can see how that would really appeal to those in the pro-marijuana crowd that favor rehabilitation over punishment. There's those misdemeanor gun charges though.
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:
Tomorrow makes too much sense. Unless Goodell wants to glorify the rehab related actions of Aldon Smith and the organization.

I can see how that would really appeal to those in the pro-marijuana crowd that favor rehabilitation over punishment. There's those misdemeanor gun charges though.

Hopefully the NFL doesn't have some checklist. They need to look at the events surrounding some of the charges like the gun charge. The guns were legal in one state and illegal in the next state. Any one of us could make that mistake. It's not like he pistol-whipped someone or shot someone. None of Aldon's issues involved hurting someone else or violating an NFL rule repeatedly.
Originally posted by AmpLee:
It's the most logical stance. I'd be shocked if the NFL waits any longer with the final cuts coming so soon. You kind of need that information to proceed with cuts.

It seems like the reason it has taken so long is because of dropping the news about stricter punishments first. This cannot bode well for the possibility that Goodell won't suspend Aldon 8 games because he only gave a wife beater 2.

Aldon ain't getting 8 games for weapons possession. That is too much!
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Originally posted by OregonNiner87:

Hopefully the NFL doesn't have some checklist. They need to look at the events surrounding some of the charges like the gun charge. The guns were legal in one state and illegal in the next state. Any one of us could make that mistake. It's not like he pistol-whipped someone or shot someone. None of Aldon's issues involved hurting someone else or violating an NFL rule repeatedly.

And it happened almost a year ago, and he already took five games off. Just make him pay game fines, no lost games
true
It makes sense that the announcement will take place tomorrow. After tonight's game but before Saturday's cutdown. Is this too logical?

Yes, it makes perfect sense which means it won't happen. They just wanna f**k around with us.
Originally posted by SFL49ER:
So if Goodell doesnt mention the suspension before saturdays cutdown deadlinne, then we have to keep Aldon on the roster and cut an extra LB that we may have kept in Aldons spot.

Then our cut players hit waivers and that guy we wouldve kept gets picked up on waivers.

Holy f**k i will be pissed if we get screwed over on this deal

That is why I said I would be shocked if it is not announced tomorrow. That would be low down and dirty to wait until after the last cut.
I would totally agree with a one-half suspension Johnny Manziel style
I think the change in the domestic violence penalty is a bad omen for Aldon. They look stupid with the Rice suppension and had no mercy on Gordon. I think this means Aldons looking at 6 weeks or so, but I'm unsure if he'll get "time served?"

Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
I think the change in the domestic violence penalty is a bad omen for Aldon. They look stupid with the Rice suppension and had no mercy on Gordon. I think this means Aldons looking at 6 weeks or so, but I'm unsure if he'll get "time served?"

The difference is that Gordon's suspension term was bargained during the CBA... 3rd time offenders get 1 year. Cut and dry. Personal conduct policy is much more vague. Goodell's hands were tired with Gordon's suspension. Aldon's is more of a gray area. I'll agree that the new domestic violence initiative paints a grim picture, but comparing Gordon and Aldon's situations is like comparing apples and oranges.
  • kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Lets not forget that the Gordon suspension, pursuant to the terms of the CBA, was levied months ago and then appealed by Gordon. The announcement of the ruling this week had nothing to do with Goodell. It was the arbitrator's decision following the conclusion of the hearing on Gordon's appeal about 3 weeks ago. The arbitrator simply upheld the suspension of Gordon that occurred months ago. This week's decision/announcement was an arbitrator's decision, not Goodell's, so while, admittedly, to some extent, each suspension has some bearing on the next one, it really is apples and oranges when comparing what happened to Gordon this week following his appeal and Goodell's handing down of discipline in the first place against Aldon Smith.
Have a bad feeling its gonna be 8.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
I think the new domestic abuse stuff is mostly for show because they're trying to get more women to watch, and needed to come down hard to appease that demographic. Aldon hit a tree, which is asexual, therefore 0 game suspension.
  • Baldie
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Whosgotitbetter:
Have a bad feeling its gonna be 8.

I think it'll be 2 or less because of the 5 he served for treatment last year.
[ Edited by Baldie on Aug 28, 2014 at 2:48 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone