LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Arson:
Its also messed up that he was the victim of a crime, and thats what brought the attention of him to even catch the gun charges, everybody is a felon if you push far enough.

All he ever wanted to do, was throw a party. That is it. The other thing he wanted to do was drive home a few blocks. That is it.

His stupidity turned those things into the media hype train it is today. Not his intentions, but his stupidity.

Meanwhile, MarShawn Lynch has not been suspended for swerving around at high speeds on the freeway, in and out of traffic. NO SUSPENSION. His intention was to have some fun on his joy ride. That is what he WANTED.
Ray Rice was suspended a paltry two games, for assault a woman who is probably 1/10th of the pro athletes strength. His intention was to cause PHYSICAL HARM to the woman, that is what he WANTED.

These things are just, "meh." While Aldon Smith has been caught in the media storm of one-liners and half-truths. Words like "multiple felon", "gunshots fired", "parties with gang members" created the HYPE MACHINE that gets him into the spot he is in today.
This is what happens to a man who WANTS to purchase firearms legally, a man who WANTS to throw a party, a man who WANTS to drive home a few blocks. He becomes a criminal, so the media hype train can create more hype and make more money.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:12 PM ]
Brian, I enjoy your posts as much as anyone on this board, and I mean it. But I have no idea what you were saying in that last response. But let me take a guess. You are not mad at Aldon ... fair enough. So if he gets suspended for a significant amount of time, will you not be upset? Not care? If so, we are good. If not ... who will you be upset at? Smith is the one that put himself and the team in this situation. If Goodell over reaches, that sucks and is its own topic of discussion. But Aldon should have never have given him the opportunity.
  • Arson
  • Veteran
I think Aldon deserves a 1 game susp max.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
Brian, I enjoy your posts as much as anyone on this board, and I mean it. But I have no idea what you were saying in that last response. But let me take a guess. You are not mad at Aldon ... fair enough. So if he gets suspended for a significant amount of time, will you not be upset? Not care? If so, we are good. If not ... who will you be upset at? Smith is the one that put himself and the team in this situation. If Goodell over reaches, that sucks and is its own topic of discussion. But Aldon should have never have given him the opportunity.

If I were to stretch it as far as I could, I would say that I am a bit mad at him for getting into a car while drunk, even though he only intended to drive a few blocks to his house. However, in comparison, I am 20X more angry at MarShawn Lynch, but he is a Seahawk, so I am a homer right? So ok, I am 10X more mad at Chris Culliver for his hit and run. I am 15X more mad at Ahmad Brooks, for hitting a teammate with a beer bottle.

Those incidents I mentioned above were FAR worse, FAR more dangerous, FAR more callus then Smith's DUI. None of these guys have been suspended.

So "yes," I am angry and Aldon Smith, but in comparison, it is almost not worth mentioning.

If Aldon is suspended, obviously I would be upset, and obviously I would be far more upset at Goodell for his inconsistent, illogical, and irrational suspension policy.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 31, 2014 at 9:09 PM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by Arson:
Its also messed up that he was the victim of a crime, and thats what brought the attention of him to even catch the gun charges, everybody is a felon if you push far enough.

All he ever wanted to do, was throw a party. That is it. The other thing he wanted to do was drive home a few blocks. That is it.

His stupidity turned those things into the media hype train it is today. Not his intentions, but his stupidity.

Meanwhile, MarShawn Lynch has not been suspended for swerving around at high speeds on the freeway, in and out of traffic. NO SUSPENSION. His intention was to have some fun on his joy ride. That is what he WANTED.
Ray Rice was suspended a paltry two games, for assault a woman who is probably 1/10th of the pro athletes strength. His intention was to cause PHYSICAL HARM to the woman, that is what he WANTED.

These things are just, "meh." While Aldon Smith has been caught in the media storm of one-liners and half-truths. Words like "multiple felon", "gunshots fired", "parties with gang members" created the HYPE MACHINE that gets him into the spot he is in today.
This is what happens to a man who WANTS to purchase firearms legally, a man who WANTS to throw a party, a man who WANTS to drive home a few blocks. He becomes a criminal, so the media hype train can create more hype and make more money.

3 more days until we find out what will happen with Aldon
When is aldon meeting the Fuhrer Goodell.
Heard on the radio today it could be upwards of 5 games.

Please god no.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:

Please god no.

How would anyone know that? Its all speculation at this point.
Originally posted by purguy12:

Please god no.

How would anyone know that? Its all speculation at this point.

Ya anything anyone says until the ruling comes out is total hogwash.

I thought initially that 4-8 games, but that was before the LAX incident was disregarded and his felonies were reduced.

My best guess is now 2 games.

Please god no.

Maybe 5 but last years time off factored in? Either way I think this is a joke if he gets a substantial suspension, especially on the heels of the Rice fiasco. Once those charges got pleaded down, he got no jail time and nothing came of the LAX incident, I firmly felt there should have been no punishment, or at least last years time should have been factored in.

Please god no.

That would be a huge suspension for a marquee player and it will re-hash people's anger that a guy who beat his girlfriend unconscious gets a lighter sentance then Aldon, who only hurt a tree.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Yeah, but it could take that tree years to recover.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by fropwns:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
I hope Schefter is way out in left field on this one. Besides a yr has passed, or thereabouts, and Aldon has done very well. LAX no charges and it was probably bogus anyway. If goodell is fair, he gives aldon probation...and then if he screws up he is gone for season. I like that in that it is lenient, but has a big stick behind it. And it would be deserved. Also, Aldon is a good kid...and I mean KID, but learning that he HAS to mature. I cannot believe aldon misses anymore time. His parents and sponsor can all do a world of good, and aldon can too in the meeting with goodell. I personally would NOT bring up Rice's name in that goodell has to know he fu**ed up on that one. So don't remind him. I like Schefter, but I don't think he gets it here.

Probation, with auto suspension for yr if any further events. Book it.

Him getting arrested and hurting the NFL image is the problem here. Roger really doesn't care if he didn't get charged. Big Ben got 6 games and was never charged with anything.

This is true, but Goodell does care about the steps that Aldon has taken to correct his problems.

As far as I know, Aldon Smith is one of the few, and perhaps the only, NFL players who checked himself into rehab, for a month I believe, after being busted for a DUI.

In my estimation, that rehab and Aldon's willingness to spend approximately 30 days in rehab, should be a major mitigating circumstance that reduces his suspension to the bare minimum.

Aldon has done more to confront his problems than most, and the court added to Aldon's efforts by insisting that Aldon not consume any alcohol for the next three years.

I agree. From reports it seems like Ray Rice's wife really made the difference in the meeting. And I remember Roger was more stern on Vick b/c he said Vick initially lied to him about the dog fighting instead of being straight up with him. Aldon needs to bring his parents and his sponsor to the meeting with him. Hopefully they can detail the steps he's been taking to remain sober since the DUI. And that should help him. I still don't think he gets more than 4 games reduced down to 2 games. But you just can't tell with Roger. At times it seems like he doesn't give a f**k and just drops the hammer and other times he seems to really care about the players well being.

I'm going to guess Roger will say 5-6 initially, but that after examining the record, he decided to settle on 4 based on Aldon's voluntary rehab.
on top of that has been sober ever since the event

Based on that way of thinking, factoring in the 5 game self imposed voluntary suspension, your saying goodell will say 10-11 games initially settling on 9 games. Seems a bit much
  • DeUh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Disp:
Yeah, but it could take that tree years to recover.

Thiiiis. Why is no one talking about the tree !

#hopehehasafastrecovery

Share 49ersWebzone