There are 159 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Aldon might not be suspended any games at all. He voluntarily missed 5 games last season and entered rehab. I think he gets a warning and a hefty fine.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LVJay:
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Aldon finally beats the sack record this year, book it.

With a looming suspension?

Doubtful.

After missing several games last year he got 8.5... never say never or doubtful for that matter

Hopefully, his punishment is no worse than the Ray Rice treatment

Aldon gonna go all Jerry Rice and break the record in 12 or 14 games if he needs to. Also, I don't think he's gonna get suspended
[ Edited by Disp on Jul 24, 2014 at 10:20 PM ]
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
I hope u guys (nflguy49/Disp), anyone else who thinks that, are right with that assumption. I heard a couple of guys on radio mention that too... hopefully, it comes true. If so, there's little to no excuse for him to not break the record
Originally posted by nflguy49:
Aldon might not be suspended any games at all. He voluntarily missed 5 games last season and entered rehab. I think he gets a warning and a hefty fine.

It depends on what the NFL values as more important.

Violence against women, or forgetting to put button thingy's on legally purchased firearms. They have to determine which crime is more heinous.

I am awestruck that Ray Rice only received a two game suspension for knocking out a woman. I will be more awestruck if Aldon's button-less firearms are seen as an equatable act by the NFL.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 25, 2014 at 1:21 AM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gay Rice suspended for two games for beating up his girl so the NFL should give Aldon a free trip to Tahiti for wasting his time.

He punches out his girlfriend in an elevator and is on tape dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator - two game suspension.

I agree. Given that precedent, Smith shouldn't serve ANY suspension.

This.

Any suspension at this point would be an absolute travesty for the NFL. Are they seriously going to equate knocking a woman out with misdemeanor weapons possession? Boy, that would sure make women's groups happy.

Aldon Smith has already missed more games than anyone else in the history of the NFL for a DUI. All that is left is the silly misdemeanor possession thing. A suspension of any kind would be outrageous. I think he will receive a fine, and the NFL can be done with it.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Any suspension at this point would be an absolute travesty for the NFL. Are they seriously going to equate knocking a woman out with misdemeanor weapons possession? Boy, that would sure make women's groups happy.

Aldon Smith has already missed more games than anyone else in the history of the NFL for a DUI. All that is left is the silly misdemeanor possession thing. A suspension of any kind would be outrageous. I think he will receive a fine, and the NFL can be done with it.

Yes. Basically taking back the five game pay the Niners paid him anyway for his 5 weeks time out. Then he truly has done 5 weeks time. He missed the games and they take his pay just like any other player

Agree and if suspended, it shouldn't be for more than 2 games. This is the crazy NFL though where you can miss the whole season for smoking weed so who knows.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Aldon Smith did not miss five games because of a DUI. Aldon Smith missed five games because he was in rehab, and no he was not in rehab because of he DUI. He was in rehab because he had a problem with alcoh0l.

The DUI and the previous charge of reckless driving should be seen as concrete manifestations of that problem with alcohol that lead to his rehabilitation.

His time in rehab was not punishment, it was medical treatment for substance abuse.

It would be accurate to consider his time in rehab as paid medical leave than to consider his time in rehab as punishment.

The punishment that Aldon received from the courts, in my estimation, was enough. There is no logical reason for the NFL to add to that punishment.

At his point, I agree that he should not be suspended, but your arguments seem...

oh, well.

edit: a good read that includes a discussion of rehab for alcohol problems.

http://archive.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/2cbj/01jul/mclestdy.htm
[ Edited by buck on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:14 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Originally posted by crake49:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Gay Rice suspended for two games for beating up his girl so the NFL should give Aldon a free trip to Tahiti for wasting his time.

He punches out his girlfriend in an elevator and is on tape dragging her unconscious body out of the elevator - two game suspension.

I agree. Given that precedent, Smith shouldn't serve ANY suspension.

This.

I like how you think, and I hope goodell thinks exactly like you! !
Originally posted by kgizzle4081:

Agree and if suspended, it shouldn't be for more than 2 games. This is the crazy NFL though where you can miss the whole season for smoking weed so who knows.

Who has been suspended for that?

Originally posted by buck:
Aldon Smith did not miss five games because of a DUI. Aldon Smith missed five games because he was in rehab, and no he was not in rehab because of he DUI. He was in rehab because he had a problem with alcoh0l.

The DUI and the previous charge of reckless driving should be seen as concrete manifestations of that problem with alcohol that lead to his rehabilitation.

His time in rehab was not punishment, it was medical treatment for substance abuse.

It would be accurate to consider his time in rehab as paid medical leave than to consider his time in rehab as punishment.

The punishment that Aldon received from the courts, in my estimation, was enough. There is no logical reason for the NFL to add to that punishment.

At his point, I agree that he should not be suspended, but your arguments seem...

oh, well.

edit: a good read that includes a discussion of rehab for alcohol problems.

http://archive.calbar.ca.gov/calbar/2cbj/01jul/mclestdy.htm

Aldon Smith did not miss five games because of a DUI. Aldon Smith missed five games because he was in rehab, and no he was not in rehab because of he DUI. He was in rehab because he had a problem with alcohol.
-- That's like saying, "I was not in jail because I beat someone up, I was in jail because I have a problem with violence." The incident that caused him to "suspend" himself, was that one particular DUI event. That ONE event was the reason for his paid leave. Without that event, he misses no games last year.
Regardless, he missed the games immediately after the DUI, so it essentially serves as a suspension. More importantly, Goodell himself said that the missed time will be a factor in considering any suspension, so that makes the "why" basically irrelevant.

-- I wish someone could prove this to be the case, because we still don't know. Just because this assumption has remained strong for a year, doesn't make it true. Additionally, Goodell has stated that the NFL's policies are to help players, not punish them. They are not trying to be enforcers of punishment or law.
  • buck
  • Veteran
never mind
[ Edited by buck on Jul 25, 2014 at 5:45 PM ]
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

that cat looks like he's ready to wreck ERRBODY
  • buck
  • Veteran
49ers notes: Team awaits decision on Aldon Smith punishment

"It's not something that's going to drag into the 'season," general manager Trent Baalke said Saturday. "And it may not even drag as far as into the preseason games itself. It's something that's going to be addressed. We've been in contact with the league. The league has been in contact with us. But we don't have a set date at this moment."

The first step will be a meeting between Smith, who was sentenced this month to 12 days on a work crew after pleading no contest to DUI and weapons violations, and Goodell in New York. That meeting could occur this week with Goodell's ruling coming shortly thereafter.

Baalke said owner Jed York has spoken with Goodell, but the 49ers don't know what Smith's punishment will entail.

After his September DUI arrest in San Jose, Smith missed six weeks of the 2013 season after checking into an alcohol treatment facility. Goodell has said that stint will be factored into any punishment.

If Smith is suspended, the 49ers are likely to use the same rotation of Dan Skuta and Corey Lemonier that was effective during his absence last season.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2014/07/26/6585148/49ers-notes-team-awaits-decision.html#storylink=cpy
Share 49ersWebzone