LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 179 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by SofaKing:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
you guys wont believe how many illegal weapons your neighbors have including simple modifications that dont meet CA standards to the whole gun being illegal to have in the state.

Aldon is no different then any gun having american..not saying its ok but its not as crazy as it seems

Agreed. California gun laws are ridiculously complicated and confusing. A slight modification misstep could mean your weapon is illegal. It might not even have anything to do with the effectiveness of the weapon. Just some weird technicality.
i believe that's what Aldon is facing..a Gun modification charge.. not 100% but i think thats what i read somewhere

if it is it should drop down to a misdemeanor
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM ]
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Oh I know, I have several friends that would qualify. Again, by choosing to own illegal weapons, you are electing to being punished if you're caught. So if that's what you want to do, don't put yourself In a situation to get caught. And if you get caught, you're on the hook to serve your punishment.

I just think that he didn't know. It is his job to know as a gun owner but I think the judge will be very lenient being he is a first time offender and not considered a threat to be a violent offender or a gang banger

That's why being a judge is such an important job. You have to determine motive and previous knowledge. I agree that leniency seems likely, especially as felonies are very serious.

For the record, I'm all for 0 gun control. Just like I'm for no drug laws, as long as there is no violent crime aspect. I don't believe it should be the governments responsibility. They should preach gun safety and responsibility, same with drugs.

But if there is a law on the books, your a subject to it. Ignorance doesn't cut it. You may get leniency in sentencing though.
[ Edited by NinerBuff on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM ]
i believe that's what Aldon is facing..a Gun modification charge.. not 100% but i think thats what i read somewhere

Lets hope so for his and the 49ers' sake.
  • buck
  • Veteran
you guys wont believe how many illegal weapons your neighbors have including simple modifications that dont meet CA standards to the whole gun being illegal to have in the state.

Aldon is no different then any gun having american..not saying its ok but its not as crazy as it seems

He got caught and that is what makes him different. It does not seem crazy anyway. It just seems stupid.

Can you imagine the number of people who drive and drink?

Just imagine a defense for his DUI that insisted he should not be charged because millions of people drive under the influence and do not get caught.

After all driving a car is not illegal. Drinking alcohol is not illegal. It is just the combination.

Originally posted by buck:

He got caught and that is what makes him different. It does not seem crazy anyway. It just seems stupid.

Can you imagine the number of people who drive and drink?

Just imagine a defense for his DUI that insisted he should not be charged because millions of people drive under the influence and do not get caught.

After all driving a car is not illegal. Drinking alcohol is not illegal. It is just the combination.

like i said, it doesn't make this situation ok

but, this also makes it like he doesn't believe in the CA gun laws (fight the power )
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Lets hope so for his and the 49ers' sake.

Hopefully, the judge will lower all three felony charges to misdemeanor charges.

The only problem that I see is the circumstances that led to the discovery of the unmodified weapons by the police.

The search came as a by product of the house party. The house party that involved violence, gunshot wounds, least one firing of a gun into the air, and at least one person, Aldon himself, getting stabbed.

The fact that Aldon was defending either himself or another person when he got stabbed works in his favor.

Apparently, Aldon fired a gun into the air, but was not charged because he had no malicious intent and was not criminally negligent in his actions.

The judge is going to know all the details of the house party.

We just have to wait and see, but Aldon's plea of no contest at least indicates that the judge is going to be more lenient than the DA's office was willing to be.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
like i said, it doesn't make this situation ok

but, this also makes it like he doesn't believe in the CA gun laws (fight the power )

Clearly, the situation is not OK. Illegal and/or stupid is not OK.

As far as I know, Aldon has been intelligent enough not to make any public statements indicating that he does not believe the gun laws are incorrect, either morally or legally.

If he did that the judge would come down on him like a load of bricks.

Goodell looked really choked up at the ribbon cutting, I think this bodes well for Aldon, lol.
Seven days to the sentencing hearing . . . next Friday is a huge day for Aldon . . . and the 49ers.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Goodell looked really choked up at the ribbon cutting, I think this bodes well for Aldon, lol.

Goodell tells the 49er here is the deal

Share the new stadium with Raiders = no suspension for Aldon

Do not share the stadium with the Raiders = Aldon take a seat

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Goodell tells the 49er here is the deal

Share the new stadium with Raiders = no suspension for Aldon

Do not share the stadium with the Raiders = Aldon take a seat

Bad Buck--you make me sick sometimes.

https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/490212114712117248

BREAKING: #49ers Aldon Smith court sentencing taking place today at 1:30. Bumped up a week. Follow @tkaplanreport for details
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

BREAKING: #49ers Aldon Smith court sentencing taking place today at 1:30. Bumped up a week. Follow @tkaplanreport for details
The judge has seen enough. Aldon has stayed out of trouble and he gets NO jail time. At least I hope that's the outcome
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

The judge has seen enough. Aldon has stayed out of trouble and he gets NO jail time. At least I hope that's the outcome

I'm nervous
Share 49ersWebzone