There are 150 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by matt49er:
Originally posted by crabman82:
Liz Mullen ‏@SBJLizMullen 2m
San Francisco 49ers LB Aldon Smith has left CAA Sports.

was just about to post this, I wonder if this means he'll be next years hold out wanting a long term deal

maybe. but it would be a PR nightmare for him. picked up his option when we didnt have to for 10 mil and have stood by the guy.
Originally posted by matt49er:

was just about to post this, I wonder if this means he'll be next years hold out wanting a long term deal

maybe. but it would be a PR nightmare for him. picked up his option when we didnt have to for 10 mil and have stood by the guy.

Ya I can't imagine he'd pull that, unless he just had an absolutely monster season this season (>20 sacks).
Originally posted by buck:
I have never had a job where I would be suspended for a violation of the marijuana laws.

Every player in the league, knows before his starts playing in the NFL that violations of the marijuana can be grounds for a suspension.

If I took a job at a company that had the same rule and I got busted for violating the marijuana laws, I would expect to be suspended.

ahh i fell for you trap with the maryjane, pretty slick

So change the Reefer to something else, would you feel that you should be suspended from your place of work ?
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Serious B, these guys want him tared and feathered and tied to a post in the middle of town...just so he can learn his lesson

When the he hasn't really done anything crazy

That attitude is why he keeps acting dumb. If you dont take anything seriously, you will keep acting like an idiot. He needs to learn a lesson ASAP so the behavior stops once and for all. Do we really want to go into next off season waiting for the next incident? He needs to act like Willis and go fishing or something.

The idea that somebody else has been worse, so his actions aren't bad is borderline juvenile. Are we really going to make that excuse when people (around here) have been waiting for Lynch to get his suspension for years? Would any of us say PED use isn't that big of a deal when Ray Lewis killed somebody?
you are forgetting that he is going to get sentanced by the Court of Law....that will keep him from acting dumb and that will be his lesson.

Rightfully Aldon doesn't need to get a NFL suspension.

Ray Lewis didn't kill anyone, went through court and never put himself in any situation again.

PED is cheating a one of the NFL laws and deserves suspension

He's rich, which means he can hire a great attorney. When a celebrity gets in trouble they get a slap on the wrist, and the stupidity continues. An actual suspension will make him lose a substantial amount of cash, that gets attention. Let me be clear, I dont want him suspended or in jail. What I do want is for him to grow up and act responsible. The excuse that he's young and this is somehow normal, isn't an excuse. We were all young once and I doubt any of us were collecting DUI's and weapon charges. The only off season news I want to hear from our guys is workout reports, marriage announcements, and charity events. Removing the crazy b***h situation from Kap's off-season only leaves us with workout reports and charity events...I can live with that.
even great attourney wont help him with the DUI there is a minimum for that which is losing his license and Weekend work/Community service..the gun charges will probably be fines.

with being a new father and all of the heat he received a long with rehab...that should be eye opening enough..if he doesn't then he deserves the what ever he gets
  • buck
  • Veteran
I have never had a job where I would be suspended for a violation of the marijuana laws.

Every player in the league, knows before his starts playing in the NFL that violations of the marijuana can be grounds for a suspension.

If I took a job at a company that had the same rule and I got busted for violating the marijuana laws, I would expect to be suspended.

So change the Reefer to something else, would you feel that you should be suspended from your place of work ?

I think that companies set rules for behavior outside of the work place. The NFL obviously does.

If I know the rules before I begin the job, then I should expect to pay the price of breaking the rules.

The players accepted the contract and this stuff is in the contract. Nobody is forced to play football for the NFL.

Would I like to be suspended? NO, I would not.

But, dang if I am stupid enough to break the rules, maybe I deserve paying the price.

And I believe that you would agree that I had been stupid.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 9, 2014 at 1:20 PM ]
He's rich, which means he can hire a great attorney. When a celebrity gets in trouble they get a slap on the wrist, and the stupidity continues. An actual suspension will make him lose a substantial amount of cash, that gets attention. Let me be clear, I dont want him suspended or in jail. What I do want is for him to grow up and act responsible. The excuse that he's young and this is somehow normal, isn't an excuse. We were all young once and I doubt any of us were collecting DUI's and weapon charges. The only off season news I want to hear from our guys is workout reports, marriage announcements, and charity events. Removing the crazy b***h situation from Kap's off-season only leaves us with workout reports and charity events...I can live with that.
I don't want to hear marriage announcements. The guys are too young and it is stupid to lock up while you are looking at pu**y by the pound. And Kap just has to upgrade the broads he banging. The rest I agree with aside from the fact few of us were ever a twenty year old coddled millionaire so we can't assume how we would behave

What exactly does this mean?
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

he is changing representation cant really read much into it besides that

I think that companies set rules for behavior outside of the work place. The NFL obviously does.

If I know the rules before I begin the job, then I should expect to pay the price of breaking the rules.

The players accepted the contract and this stuff is in the contract. Nobody is forced to play football for the NFL.

Would I like to be suspended? NO, I would not.

But, dang if I am stupid enough to break the rules, maybe I deserve paying the price.

And I believe that you would agree that I had been stupid.

exactly, your job probably doesn't have an extent amount of rules for their employees besides the major ones

the only NFL rule he broke is the DUI, which hopefully the 5 games he missed would be time served
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JimHarbaugh:

It might mean he wants more experienced negotiation help considering that rookie contracts aren't really negotiated at all anymore. He's going to get paid and he wants to be real sure it's the best he can get. So he moves to an agency that promises that to him.

• buck
  • Veteran
the only NFL rule he broke is the DUI, which hopefully the 5 games he missed would be time served

NFL Personal Conduct Policy

http://nfllabor.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/personal-conduct-policy.pdf

That policy book is a useless piece of garbage.

There is absolutely no consistency for player suspensions. It provides zero guidelines whatsoever. It was written, just to cover their ass.

"expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values
upon which the League is based, and is lawful." - What the heck does any of this mean?
"Promotes the values upon which the League is based"? That is a laugh. The "values" of the league? What "values" are they talking about? Justice, freedom, and the American way? Hilarious.

"and is lawful"? What about the players who have broken the law and have not been suspended?

They have basically covered just about ANY possible situation. If you cover any situation, that is like saying, "We'll suspend you when we feel like it." When the football moms cry loud enough, I guess?

Any suspension of Aldon Smith will just be another typical reactionary nonsensical response to placate the masses.
Like the war against Iraq, just a reaction to something unrelated, to make people feel that they did something. I guess that's part of human nature.

Get stung by a bee? So then find a random insect crawling along the ground and step on it. Feel better? Justice served. You DID something about it. Woo hoo! That'll learn em insects to mess with ya.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

That policy book is a useless piece of garbage.

There is absolutely no consistency for player suspensions. It provides zero guidelines whatsoever. It was written, just to cover their ass.

"expected to conduct yourself in a way that is responsible, promotes the values
upon which the League is based, and is lawful." - What the heck does any of this mean?
"Promotes the values upon which the League is based"? That is a laugh. The "values" of the league? What "values" are they talking about? Justice, freedom, and the American way? Hilarious.

"and is lawful"? What about the players who have broken the law and have not been suspended?

They have basically covered just about ANY possible situation. If you cover any situation, that is like saying, "We'll suspend you when we feel like it." When the football moms cry loud enough, I guess?

Any suspension of Aldon Smith will just be another typical reactionary nonsensical response to placate the masses.
Like the war against Iraq, just a reaction to something unrelated, to make people feel that they did something. I guess that's part of human nature.

Get stung by a bee? So then find a random insect crawling along the ground and step on it. Feel better? Justice served. You DID something about it. Woo hoo! That'll learn em insects to mess with ya.

Yeah even the gun charge won't hold..as he wasn't walking around with his guns..it doesn't say anything about owning guns
Aldon Smith should pay for his DUI, don't you think?

If Aldon Smith had stated that he intentionally broke the California law on these magazine buttons as a protest against the law's violation of his second amendment rights, I would more than likely support him.

But, he has not made any such a statement.

Generally speaking when a person brakes a law they pay, and should expect to pay for their actions.

If I think that a law is stupid, say the marijuana control laws, I will bring them. If I am stupid enough to be caught, I will pay for my stupidity--and I will not waste time complaining.

I think that his gun charges should be lowered to misdemeanors and that Aldon should receive a minimum sentence; no jail time, a fine, community service, and maybe no probation. I do not think that the charges should have been felony charges.

Given the number of instances requiring the presence of the police, incidents not charges, paying a minimum penalty of a two or three games does not seem excessive.

Aldon Smith should pay for his DUI, don't you think?
-- "Pay"? Are you implying he has not already paid? Was he not already charged with a DUI? Is that not sufficient?

If Aldon Smith had stated that he intentionally broke the California law on these magazine buttons as a protest against the law's violation of his second amendment rights, I would more than likely support him.
-- That's commendable.

But, he has not made any such a statement.
-- Therefore, you don't support him? Why is that? Why are the laws written by men, so sacrosanct?

Generally speaking when a person brakes a law they pay, and should expect to pay for their actions.
-- I agree. Generally, they do pay, and they do usually expect to pay. Point being?

If I think that a law is stupid, say the marijuana control laws, I will break them. If I am stupid enough to be caught, I will pay for my stupidity--and I will not waste time complaining.
-- Don't people have a right to be stupid? Why should they be punished for it? And who determines what is "stupid"?

I think that his gun charges should be lowered to misdemeanors and that Aldon should receive a minimum sentence; no jail time, a fine, community service, and maybe no probation. I do not think that the charges should have been felony charges.
-- Alright. I'll agree with that.

Given the number of instances requiring the presence of the police, incidents not charges, paying a minimum penalty of a two or three games does not seem excessive.
-- "Excessive"? Compared to what? What are the standards? "Police presence"? How is that a fair standard? The police were there to HELP Aldon at every occasion except perhaps for the DUI.
Police HELPING you, makes you a bad person? That sounds like a pretty messed up standard.
Aldon: "Roger Goodell, Goodell!!!"
Goodell: "Yes Aldon?"
Aldon: "I was mugged!"
Goodell: "Ok, that sounds bad, you might get a suspension for making the league look bad."
Aldon: "What!!!???"
Goodell: "Alright, perhaps not, but Aldon, did you call the police?"
Aldon: "Yes! I called the police and they came to help me."
Goodell: "Oh goodness Aldon, WHY did you do that? The presence of the police makes the league look really bad. I'm going to have to suspend you Aldon."
Aldon: "NNOOOOO!!! Oh well, at least a learned my 'lesson'."

That is a hell of a "lesson." And I'm not sure what Aldon would have "learned" from it.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jul 9, 2014 at 10:57 PM ]
Yeah even the gun charge won't hold..as he wasn't walking around with his guns..it doesn't say anything about owning guns

Yeah it does. They covered every possibility.

"Possession of a gun or other weapon in any workplace setting, including but not limited to
stadiums, team facilities, training camp, locker rooms, team planes, buses, parking lots, etc., or
unlawful possession of a weapon outside of the workplace;"

The guns didn't have the button thingy's. That made them thundering chaotic death machines.
Share 49ersWebzone