There are 168 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
This has nothing to do with Aldon Smith, personally. Only what I expect Goodell to rule.

There's no one to compare to aldon because aldon isn't that bad compared to the other that received suspensions

Goodell hasn't been that harsh on players..so I can't see anything at all

He did some dumb stuff but to hope that he does get suspended to teach him a lesson is unprofessional.

He is going to be punished by the county already for his actions
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by buck:
What would be best for Aldon Smith, himself?

I am no expert in dealing with problems, but I tend to believe that it would not be good for Aldon Smith to receive a suspension of no games or more than six games.

I think that he should receive a two or three games suspension.

I would like to be clear. My major concern is Aldon Smith. I think he needs to punished by both the legal system and the league.

In my estimation, Aldon should get an absolute minimum penalty form the legal system. His gun charges should have been filed as misdemeanors.

On the other hand, Aldon has had enough off-the-field incidents to receive a penalty a bit beyond the minimum of a one game suspension.

I am, and have been, a ardent supporter of Aldon Smith.

Nevertheless, he does need to pay for his stupidity.

I don't understand why you would want that on AS

But he will get some type of discipline from the county

I thought that I was pretty clear, but I will try again.

First, he will receive a sentence from the state, and he should.

Second, his actions have put him and the NFL in a negative spotlight.

Aldon has done enough to warrant a 2-3 game suspension. Unfortunately, the league is inconsistent in applying the rules.

Despite the arguments that others have done worse and not been suspended, I do think that Aldon, himself, needs to understand without a doubt that he cannot continue to ff**k things up.

I believe that if Aldon gets off with no suspension, he will tend to think that his actions were not serious, and that he can continue making stupid decisions.

I do not think that he will get any time in jail for his legal transgressions. If the state comes down on him hard, I would be pissed.

I just think that Aldon needs to pay and that actually paying will be best for him in the long run.

[ Edited by buck on Jul 5, 2014 at 9:47 PM ]

Aldon has done enough to warrant a 2-3 game suspension. Unfortunately, the league is inconsistent in applying the rules.

Despite the arguments that others have done worse and not been suspended, I do think that Aldon, himself, needs to understand without a doubt that he cannot continue to ff**k things up.

I believe that if Aldon gets off with no suspension, he will tend to think that his actions were not serious, and that he can continue making stupid decisions.

I do not think that he will get any time in jail for his legal transgressions. If the state comes down on him hard, I would be pissed.

I just think that Aldon needs to pay and that actually paying will be best for him in the long run.

It's not just you but others as well..

You were pretty clear, you want to teach aldon a lesson no matter what

You don't know aldon to say he hasn't already learned his lesson and being a new father probably even sobers him up even more.
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 5, 2014 at 11:02 PM ]
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
BrianGO must be on vacation or something. He is usually all over this topic. My favorite of his is "There must be mad cow disease in the water". That still makes me laugh Does anyone think he will not be suspended at all?

Yeah, I could see 1 or 2 games max, IF he keeps his nose clean until the season starts.
  • buck
  • Veteran

It's not just you but others as well..

You were pretty clear, you want to teach aldon a lesson no matter what

You don't know aldon to say he hasn't already learned his lesson and being a new father probably even sobers him up even more.
"
Do not exaggerate. I never, and never implied, that Aldon Smith should be taught a lesson "no matter what "

I do not know Aldon and that is the reason I have stressed what I think.

If I actually knew him, I would be more definitive.
[ Edited by buck on Jul 6, 2014 at 12:43 AM ]
One thing is for sure, Jed York must be having a closed-doors, 'House of Cards' style chat with Uncle Goodell. -Jed is gonna rent Levi's Stadium out to Goodell for his 20-day flag football tournament, and Aldon gets a two game suspension, knocked down to one after training camp (due to community service/good behavior), and starts against the Bears on MNF. (That is unless Pete Carroll despicably invites Aldon to an underground drinking, gun-shooting, hooker party out in Mendocino).

Our boy Aldon is not missing the first game at Santa Clara, he's gonna make some sacks, fling some home runs with his arms, and just destroy Jay Cutler.
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Jul 6, 2014 at 3:15 AM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
No concrete examples, yet I still think Goodell will judge harshly... I think Goodell sees the 5 week rehab as a previous suspension, but essentially he was under 'probation'. The. He has the LAX incident, and lost all benefit of the doubt.

Would I like it to be less than 4 games, heck yes!! But I'm not counting on it.
LAX is dead!

Legally, yes he won't be punished. But I'm sure it will factor into any suspension he receives.

Shouldn't.

Damn...People still hate aldon smith smh

This has nothing to do with Aldon Smith, personally. Only what I expect Goodell to rule.

Well so far so good. No aldon smith burning down houses while drunk on 4rth of july stories.
I can't wait till a month from today. Everything will have finally sorted itself out and we can get on with the 2014 season.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:
BrianGO must be on vacation or something. He is usually all over this topic. My favorite of his is "There must be mad cow disease in the water". That still makes me laugh Does anyone think he will not be suspended at all?

What more is there to say?

Some people think breaking the law is "bad", and if you do it, you should be "punished". This is related to the concept of "paying one's debts", and if you don't pay your debts, you are bad.

"Debt" is an idea that has been around for a long time, but not since human civilization first began. People in communities used to give things to others freely, if they were asked for. In return, that person would do or give something back at some later date. This was an unspoken, unwritten rule.
"Boy that is a beautiful cow. I wish I had one like that." "Take it, it's your's."
Later on, the person would return the favor, by doing something roughly equal in return.

People have this idea that there was some kind of "trading" system before physical money, but that is not true. It was more like a "morality" system.
In ancient Sanskrit and Aramaic the words for "debt" and "sin", were the same word. Paying back your debt, was a part of civilization.
"I'll give you 40 chickens for your cow", never existed. It is a myth.

In modern days, we declare on paper, how "bad" something is, or what something is worth. This is fine for the law, but not for morality.

For example, Socrates would say, "If a man gives me a sword, and I don't give it back, am I in debt to him? Yes? What if the man went insane and openly told me he intended to kill innocent people at the market with the sword?"

If you have a poor African country who owes "debt" to international banking cartels, are they "wrong" for not paying it back? Yes? What if that country was controlled by an evil dictator 20 years ago, who borrowed the money to buy weapons for his wars, and is now long dead and gone. Are the people living in that country 20 years later supposed to be responsible for this mad mans's transgressions?

Some people feel that Aldon Smith owes a "debt". I think it is absurd. Has he hit his girlfriend? No. Has he hurt anyone? No. Has he cheated the league? No. Has he stolen anything? No.

Do I think the NFL should step in when a person has not hurt anybody, yet has broken the law? NO. Absolutely not. The NFL should suspend players based upon MORAL transgressions. Not based upon breaking the law. The law is the law. It is there for its own purpose. The NFL wants to appear MORAL, not political.
Gun laws are political. DUI laws are moral, but IMO, Aldon didn't appear anywhere near as reckless as other players who have NOT been suspended by the NFL, so that does not add up either.

There is simply no logical basis from which to suspend Aldon Smith. The only basis, is the typical, "Oh my God what a bad man" reactionary soccer mom polemic.

Pay for what? Breaking the law?

What if the law said that he couldn't drink from a water fountain in a white neighborhood. Should he be suspended for that too? Or in that case, should we ignore the law?

Originally posted by BrianGO:
What more is there to say?

Some people think breaking the law is "bad", and if you do it, you should be "punished". This is related to the concept of "paying one's debts", and if you don't pay your debts, you are bad.

"Debt" is an idea that has been around for a long time, but not since human civilization first began. People in communities used to give things to others freely, if they were asked for. In return, that person would do or give something back at some later date. This was an unspoken, unwritten rule.
"Boy that is a beautiful cow. I wish I had one like that." "Take it, it's your's."
Later on, the person would return the favor, by doing something roughly equal in return.

People have this idea that there was some kind of "trading" system before physical money, but that is not true. It was more like a "morality" system.
In ancient Sanskrit and Aramaic the words for "debt" and "sin", were the same word. Paying back your debt, was a part of civilization.
"I'll give you 40 chickens for your cow", never existed. It is a myth.

In modern days, we declare on paper, how "bad" something is, or what something is worth. This is fine for the law, but not for morality.

For example, Socrates would say, "If a man gives me a sword, and I don't give it back, am I in debt to him? Yes? What if the man went insane and openly told me he intended to kill innocent people at the market with the sword?"

If you have a poor African country who owes "debt" to international banking cartels, are they "wrong" for not paying it back? Yes? What if that country was controlled by an evil dictator 20 years ago, who borrowed the money to buy weapons for his wars, and is now long dead and gone. Are the people living in that country 20 years later supposed to be responsible for this mad mans's transgressions?

Some people feel that Aldon Smith owes a "debt". I think it is absurd. Has he hit his girlfriend? No. Has he hurt anyone? No. Has he cheated the league? No. Has he stolen anything? No.

Do I think the NFL should step in when a person has not hurt anybody, yet has broken the law? NO. Absolutely not. The NFL should suspend players based upon MORAL transgressions. Not based upon breaking the law. The law is the law. It is there for its own purpose. The NFL wants to appear MORAL, not political.
Gun laws are political. DUI laws are moral, but IMO, Aldon didn't appear anywhere near as reckless as other players who have NOT been suspended by the NFL, so that does not add up either.

There is simply no logical basis from which to suspend Aldon Smith. The only basis, is the typical, "Oh my God what a bad man" reactionary soccer mom polemic.

What?

ALdon will be suspended for a few games because he was a bonehead.

Not hard to comprehend. We will be ok. He needs to stay sober.

It says in the ancient Aramaic texts, ANd the L*rd G*d shall smite the boneheads. Says so. In the ancient scrolls.

Can we talk about football? How has he looked so far in the non contacts?
I think he'll get suspended 2-3 games.

Then he'll have a record breaking season. His contract is coming up and he's going into beast mode.
Originally posted by BrianGO:

Pay for what? Breaking the law?

What if the law said that he couldn't drink from a water fountain in a white neighborhood. Should he be suspended for that too? Or in that case, should we ignore the law?

Serious B, these guys want him tared and feathered and tied to a post in the middle of town...just so he can learn his lesson

When the he hasn't really done anything crazy
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Jul 8, 2014 at 8:45 PM ]
Serious B, these guys want him tared and feathered and tied to a post in the middle of town...just so he can learn his lesson

When the he hasn't really done anything crazy

While I share buck's view on most of this, I really couldn't care less about whether he deserves to be punished by the courts/NFL or not. I'm no judge/jury, what Aldon has done is his business. All I was saying is that I think Roger Goodell will suspend him longer than most on here think. I still think 4 games.

Obviously, if it's 1 or 2 games like most people on here are surmising, then great! I'm just not going to expect that outcome.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
I'll take the wrap for aldon for a couple mil. someone have him PM me.
Share 49ersWebzone