There are 185 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
The county already took some heat for being soft on the rich, so it's going to be the judges ego if she wants to continue the reputation of being soft or lay the hammer down.

Also there was a bright spot at the very end of the article about the judge and smith working on a deal without the DA and it might be the reason no negotiations were made for the not contest plea.

We have more to worry about the game suspensions

My money is on 2 games up to a possible 4 assuming LAX is already toe tagged

I still don't think he will get suspended by the nfl, but now I'm thinking this guy might do some prison time
Originally posted by Marvin49:
You could be and I hope you're right. Its also an odd one for Goodell since he would never have even been charged if he were an Arizona Cardinal.

. . . . or a St. Louis Ram, Atlanta Falcon, Dallas Cowboy, Houston Texan, Carolina Panther, Minnesota Viking . . . o.k., I'm getting bored. Basically the California & New York teams plus the Patriots are the only teams impacted by Statewide assault weapons bans as far as I know. There may be a couple more, but you get the idea.
I still don't think he will get suspended by the nfl, but now I'm thinking this guy might do some prison time
If Aldon goes to prison over something he did TWO YEARS ago I will be livid! Especially on some first time wobbler type offenses. It ain't happening!

Based on what? PFT comments? Your sensationalism is out of control. Take a cold shower.
Originally posted by AUniner:

Based on what? PFT comments? Your sensationalism is out of control. Take a cold shower.

Read the link above
Why? No one in the media knows how this is going to play out. He's been given advice to plead no contest understanding the higher chance of avoiding jail time this way. You only need to win the judge over. Your already stained laundry doesn't get aired out further in public.

Is there a chance he still gets time? Yes, but it's very unlikely right now. So you've gotta make the most of a bad situation.
Why? No one in the media knows how this is going to play out. He's been given advice to plead no contest understanding the higher chance of avoiding jail time this way. You only need to win the judge over. Your already stained laundry doesn't get aired out further in public.

Is there a chance he still gets time? Yes, but it's very unlikely right now. So you've gotta make the most of a bad situation.

In CA there is a 3 strikes your out law..a strike is a felony..he pleaded no contest to 3 strikes without negotiating any deals on court record. Which is a really bad move. Cause no one get away with no jail time from the 3 strikes law. The county already has a bad rep of being soft on the rich. So it's basically up to the judge that day to go soft and look bad...or lay the law down.
There is no way . . . no effing way that Aldon Smith would plead no contest unless the Judge gave some sort of wink & nod regarding jail time. I don't think the County wants this to go to trial either. They'd look like buffoons when it's put on the record that they invited Aldon to the Sheriff's gun range to shoot guns and take a helicopter ride while he was supposedly under investigation. When this case is closed out both sides will be relieved.

In CA there is a 3 strikes your out law..a strike is a felony..he pleaded no contest to 3 strikes without negotiating any deals on court record. Which is a really bad move. Cause no one get away with no jail time from the 3 strikes law. The county already has a bad rep of being soft on the rich. So it's basically up to the judge that day to go soft and look bad...or lay the law down.

They stand as felonies now, but the judge has the authority to downgrade the charges to misdemeanors , avoiding the 3 strikes. I can see the judge downgrading any or all 3 of the charges. Miss out on lots of tax dollars throwing star athletes in the clink.
There is no way . . . no effing way that Aldon Smith would plead no contest unless the Judge gave some sort of wink & nod regarding jail time. I don't think the County wants this to go to trial either. They'd look like buffoons when it's put on the record that they invited Aldon to the Sheriff's gun range to shoot guns and take a helicopter ride while he was supposedly under investigation. When this case is closed out both sides will be relieved.

http://www.nolocontendere.org/differencebetweenguiltyandnocontest.html

"Pleading no contest or nolo contendere means you admit no guilt for the crime, but the court can determine the punishment. The judge will hold a conversation with the defendant to ensure s/he understands the plea and the possible punishment. This gives the defendant an opportunity to explain the circumstances and why s/he is pleading no contest instead of guilty or not guilty. Through this conversation, the judge gains a better perspective on the situation. The defendant has some possibility of getting a less harsh sentence than might be handed down after a jury trial."
[ Edited by SonocoNinerFan on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:31 PM ]

If he does prison time over this, he needs to find some better lawyers.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

http://www.nolocontendere.org/differencebetweenguiltyandnocontest.html

"Pleading no contest or nolo contendere means you admit no guilt for the crime, but the court can determine the punishment. The judge will hold a conversation with the defendant to ensure s/he understands the plea and the possible punishment. This gives the defendant an opportunity to explain the circumstances and why s/he is pleading no contest instead of guilty or not guilty. Through this conversation, the judge gains a better perspective on the situation. The defendant has some possibility of getting a less harsh sentence than might be handed down after a jury trial."

Aldon - "Sir, I bought the firearms in Arizona, and I am very sorry that I did not know the law. I wish I had added the little button thingy to the end of it, like the wise citizens of California demand."

Judge - "Ha! You think ignorance is an excuse? There are many law abiding citizens in this state, who have that same exact firearm, but did they forget the button thingy? NO! They remembered to put it on, rendering their weapon perfectly safe and harmless. YOU, on the other hand, are a button thingyless scumbag, who has completely disregarded the safety of our community. Do you know how many children could have been killed if they found your weapon without the button thingy??? DOZENS. Dozens upon dozens of children could have met a terrible fate at the business end of your button thingyless weapon of mass destruction. You are going away for a long time, you button thingyless scumbag."

Aldon - "But, in Missouri..."

Judge - "This is NOT Missouri you button thingyless monster!!! This is California. You see, here we care about the well being of our children. We don't allow them to be subjected to the evils of button thingyless terror machines of war and destruction!. OH THE HORROR! Your button thingyless days have come to and end, and California's children will be safer because of it."
[ Edited by BrianGO on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:46 AM ]
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
If he does prison time over this, he needs to find some better lawyers.

If Aldon does prison time, I know exactly who his defense team is...

• buck
  • Veteran

not all felonies are strikes.
[ Edited by buck on Jun 26, 2014 at 1:25 AM ]
Originally posted by buck:

not all felonies are strikes.

Wow. Jail for life for forgetting the button thingy?

Actually, come to think of it, the three strikes law has done even worse things than this.
Share 49ersWebzone