LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 260 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:24 PM ]
Originally posted by Rathmanator:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Not that serious? Uh....4 Felonies is kinda serious.
I could have sworn there were only 3. What am I saying? ONLY 3 ?!?!

I am pretty sure, like Marvin49 alluded to, whether it is 3 or 4 felonies, they are serious.

oops. 3 Felonies.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by lamontb:
Sounds like good news to me. Usually you hear 6 games that in up being 4 games. Or 4 games that en up being 2. Starting that low is a positive. Season opener plus the 5 last year equals 6 games. I can dig it.

Anything less than 4 games is good news in my book. I'm expecting 6.

Yeah...anyone expecting no suspension was kidding themselves. I'm hoping Florio is right and its only a game or 2. I was thinking 4-8 games.
I think there won't be a suspension. he already did his time last year
That was for the DUI and his substance abuse issues. The gun charges and airport incident are the leading cause of his upcoming suspension. .
the gun charges are over two years old and not that serious...sarcastic bomb remark is also nothing

Not that serious? Uh....4 Felonies is kinda serious.
it can be charged a felony, heck you can get a speeding ticket that can get as high as a felony..but never do

...uh...it WAS charged as 3 felonies and he plead no contest to all three...as felonies.

Now maybe the judge can bring them down to misdemeanors (I dunno if he has that power or not), but the "charged" phase is over. He's going to sentencing.
...uh...it WAS charged as 3 felonies and he plead no contest to all three...as felonies.

Now maybe the judge can bring them down to misdemeanors (I dunno if he has that power or not), but the "charged" phase is over. He's going to sentencing.

The judge will reduce the wobblers to misdemeanors I'm sure. Aldon lawyers already know what's up. This is why he pled no contest. The sentencing has been delayed just to let the dust settle on this mess
  • buck
  • Veteran

I am pretty sure that the judge can lower the felonies to misdemeanors.

A poster, I do not remember who, with legal experience explained this in an earlier post.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Two games just doesn't seem realistic.

BUT it depends on all the real facts and unreported circumstances that come out in court cases.

Hopefully it's only 2 games.

I was thinking 8 games.

If Goodell wants to send a message to the rest of the league, he makes this an 8-12 game suspension MINIMUM. I have been counting out Aldon for the whole season, or at least until the playoffs. Rather be happily surprised if it's shorter than to not be realistic. The good part in all of this is that I feel the 9ers have a nice little stable of pass rushers brewing and will do some damage with or without Aldon this season.

This sucks all around
http://www.ninersnation.com/2014/6/25/5842706/aldon-smith-sentencing-pft-source-suspension

A DUI is a felony charge but never gets charged as a felony unless its a multiple offender. they always have it at the highest charge to scare people

Pleading is fighting the Felony charges right ?, Most cases the police just confiscate the weapons and a fine is charged..but since AS is a high profile case, he gets the worst of it.

4-5 Felonies in no joke and for the county to take this long to charge him with something a year later is an example of how the county makes more money then collecting a one time fine.

A DUI is a felony charge but never gets charged as a felony unless its a multiple offender. they always have it at the highest charge to scare people

Pleading is fighting the Felony charges right ?, Most cases the police just confiscate the weapons and a fine is charged..but since AS is a high profile case, he gets the worst of it.

4-5 Felonies in no joke and for the county to take this long to charge him with something a year later is an example of how the county makes more money then collecting a one time fine.

uh...wha?

No...not a plea deal. He effectively plead GUILTY to the charges. No contest just means that the plea won't go against him in a civil court because he's not claiming guilt.. He is essentially NOT fighting. That's why its called NO CONTEST. He isn't claiming guilt but he's not fighting the charges.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM ]
Steve Maskowitz, that attorney with the bad toupee who is always on CSN Bay Area, said any lawyer worth his salt should be able to get Aldon off with nothing more than community service. No jail time. I don't know how qualified he is to make that call, but that was his opinion when Aldon first plead no contest. Hope he's right!

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The judge will reduce the wobblers to misdemeanors I'm sure. Aldon lawyers already know what's up. This is why he pled no contest. The sentencing has been delayed just to let the dust settle on this mess

My Uncle had this happen with the wobbler thing for 1 count of the same charge, only it was made part of the plea bargain and when the Judge accepted the plea, he said My Uncle was guilty of Misdemeanor gun possession, then 4 weeks later sentenced him to 60 days! in county (This was LA County courts) I could have sworn Aldon's was a plea deal, but everything I read says it specifically wasn't a deal.

And it appears Marvin49 is totally right about the no contest bit.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Steve Maskowitz, that attorney with the bad toupee who is always on CSN Bay Area, said any lawyer worth his salt should be able to get Aldon off with nothing more than community service. No jail time. I don't know how qualified he is to make that call, but that was his opinion when Aldon first plead no contest. Hope he's right!
He is absolutely correct!
Originally posted by SofaKing:

Yeah, me too. I have to admit though, when this stuff first developed the lawyers made it sound like there was no issue at all. That they would be able to beat the cases easily! How did it go from beat the case, to plea bargain to flipping GUILTY? HACKS!!
My Uncle had this happen with the wobbler thing for 1 count of the same charge, only it was made part of the plea bargain and when the Judge accepted the plea, he said My Uncle was guilty of Misdemeanor gun possession, then 4 weeks later sentenced him to 60 days! in county (This was LA County courts) I could have sworn Aldon's was a plea deal, but everything I read says it specifically wasn't a deal.

And it appears Marvin49 is totally right about the no contest bit.

Aldon ain't doing time. These are his first gun charges and they have an understanding so long as Aldon stays on straight. He went no contest. The judge will not put him behind bars but he will be on probation. Aldon has too much money to do time
Yeah, me too. I have to admit though, when this stuff first developed the lawyers made it sound like there was no issue at all. That they would be able to beat the cases easily! How did it go from beat the case, to plea bargain to flipping GUILTY? HACKS!!

Folk had a hardon about this stuff is all. By July 25 most folk have moved on. Then they fine him and give him probation.
Share 49ersWebzone