LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 138 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
It's hard for me to believe Aldon's lawyers would lead him into a plea deal without some certainty that there would be a minimal or even a suspended sentence.
You know this. Let the Media drum up all of the doomsday scenarios that they want fact is Aldon won't get too severe of a punishment from that Judge
[ Edited by Pillbusta on May 21, 2014 at 4:31 PM ]
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
what we did for Aldon was a good thing but the media tried to spin it as a bad thing. true we let him play the first game after the arrest for the DUI but that was mostly because we felt he needed to be there for his guys that week but thereafter we influenced him to enroll in a rehabilitation program and we voluntarily allowed to let him sit out 5 games to get better as a person. we should be applauded for that not demonized. the commissioner will take into consideration what we've done for him the time that has been missed and I don't anticipate more than a 4 game suspension especially being that this is his first time being suspended and he has already volunteered to sit out 5 weeks of playing time. its almost unheard of for a player to get suspended more than eight games for something like this. the five weeks he's done already plus the four games he might miss is 9 weeks that's enough I think

I believe a 4 to 8 game suspension would probably be the most likely for Aldon. Those who believe that Aldon won't get suspended are just being ridiculous. He's been getting in trouble with the law a little too much for it to just be swept under the table. Aldon has some real issues that he has to fix. Hopefully he'll get his s**t together by the middle of the season, but we'll see?
It's hard for me to believe Aldon's lawyers would lead him into a plea deal without some certainty that there would be a minimal or even a suspended sentence.

Yeah, these were my initial thoughts too
RT @sfkale: To clarify: Smith didn't strike deal w/ DA. Only changed plea to no contest. Same as guilty plea, but w/out civil repercussions

Agreed. The plea bargain is for what the prosecuting attorney will recommend to the judge as a sentence, which 9 times out of 10 the judge goes along with. Since it is in July, worst case scenario is a 30 day sentence. He would miss preseason but be available for opener. I would imagine, however, that it will be a suspended sentence.
DA Buckelew on Smith: no contest pleas before preliminary hearings often looked upon favorably by judges at sentencing.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

This
Originally posted by obx49:
I believe a 4 to 8 game suspension would probably be the most likely for Aldon. Those who believe that Aldon won't get suspended are just being ridiculous. He's been getting in trouble with the law a little too much for it to just be swept under the table. Aldon has some real issues that he has to fix. Hopefully he'll get his s**t together by the middle of the season, but we'll see?

If irsay doesn't get suspended nether should he.

Id would be ok with 2 games to begin the season that would be 7 total over 2 years those 5 last year have to count for something because it wasn't lead mandated.

we'll see im just glad all of this stuff is going to be over with and he can begin a new chapter in his life.
Originally posted by lucky_49:
hes getting suspended for 12 games per adam schefter

You are completely kidding aren't you? No way he gets 12 games, not a chance. Schefter is jacked up if he actually said that and it wouldn't be the first time.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

His lawyers have not been working on this with the da for him to NOT have an agreement worked out. They aren't advising him to enter this plea as a crap shoot and i doubt seriously if explained that this is a crap shoot that he would have pleaded this way.

so sorry to the source it might not be on the table, something under the table has been worked out.

John Clayton says maybe 3-6 games with a plea down to 3 BUT that the NFL may consider that he voluntarily missed 5 games last year as part of the deal (meaning he wouldn't miss any time).
Originally posted by Rathmanator:

You are completely kidding aren't you? No way he gets 12 games, not a chance. Schefter is jacked up if he actually said that and it wouldn't be the first time.

ian rapoport confirmed it

link?
Originally posted by CWin4949:

link?

no

That's what I was thinking. Either that or he has really bad lawyers, but it's hard for me to imagine anyone being so dumb to plea "no contest" without some kind of assurance he was going to walk.
Share 49ersWebzone