There are 229 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• dj43
Originally posted by Giedi:
I'll just add, that the constitution itself doesn't really regulate speech, it's main purpose is to regulate government.

WINNAH!

Seriously, that is a central point that many have never learned.

As to Aldon Smith, the sensitivity to the potential of bomb threats goes all the way back BEFORE 9/11 and TSA. There is no defense for him to use that word in an airport. It isn't like he has never been in an airport before. There are signs warning that any mention of "bombs" will be taken very seriously. He is ignorant to have violated that law.
Also, the first amendment prevents the govt from being able to punish people for speaking against it pubically (something the English monarchy was very good at, and its one of the reason why the amendment exists in the first place).

It also doesn't grant you the right to say whatever you want, there are repurcussions for your actions (like getting arrested for saying you have a bomb in an airport).
[ Edited by linkboy on Apr 14, 2014 at 1:42 PM ]
Originally posted by Hopper:
I still hope we pick up that fifth year option.

Me too.

Hes a freak, just needs to learn humility.
Originally posted by MC9BEAT:
So with any luck the union and the lawyers can save us from losing the criminals on our team. I feel soo much better.

How far gone do you have to be like Aldon to have DUI's and weapons charges, go to rehab and still think it's ok to mess round with airport security and use the word bomb? This is Aldon trying to be on his best behavior because he is already on his 3rd or 4th chance. Did he attend special ed classes?

Two rules that clash in our American society. "He who has the gold, makes the rules." and "He who has the guns, makes the rules." In Aldon's case, he has gold and this justice system favors those who have either the gold or the guns. (guns being guys like the NSA and folks who work in the name of *National Security.*)

The NFL PA protects the players - that's by intentional design, that's good and that's not so good in certain circumstances. But in Aldon's case, it favors the 49ers. As for Aldon himself, change is itself hard. Everybody knows if you lose weight, you generally are healthier - but practically everybody in America is obese to some extent. I'm not excusing Aldon, but change is hard. Another saying is "you can take the boy out of the ghetto, but can you take the ghetto out of the boy?"

It's hard to lose weight because the healthiest food is very costly and people have to work twice as hard for half as much and it leaves very little time and energy left for excercise. Add to that the stress of very difficult economic times and you get the picture.

Ask the average person in the ghetto if they could give up guns and drugs for $10 million a year and I think most could do it. Hell, in his shoes I would give up sex for $10 million a year. 8 years and $80 Million dollars later you could make up for lost time with 2 new babes every nite for the rest of your life while cruiing around on your yacht or staying home in your mansion. How difficult can it be to not be a horses ass while collecting your Millions?

Maybe he needs a course of scared straight. We could lock him up in the cell next to Aaron Hernandez of the Pats and let him contemplate what happens when you piss your life away after having won the life Lottery.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The crap we're going to have to put up with . . .

The Romeo Must Die movie says Treasure Island though!
Originally posted by Black24Razor:
As an LEO, my defense for him would be that he said, "What if I had a bomb?" His word vs. someone else's.

It comes down to he said/she said basically, why I don't see this case going any further. What hurts the case the most is that TSA let him walk through into the secured area's, he wasn't actually arrested until he was at his gate waiting for a plane. So whatever he said wasn't severe enough to justify him being taken into custody AT that moment.
I'll just add, that the constitution itself doesn't really regulate speech, it's main purpose is to regulate government.

I wish more people could understand that. "Free Speech" when taken in a Constitutional/1st Amendment context refers strictly to government stifling free speech, it also does not allow for unlimited free speech. You can't falsely shout fire in a crowded theater, you can't incite a mob to violence, the 1st Amendment generally doesn't apply to private entities or private property....etc.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

I wish more people could understand that. "Free Speech" when taken in a Constitutional/1st Amendment context refers strictly to government stifling free speech, it also does not allow for unlimited free speech. You can't falsely shout fire in a crowded theater, you can't incite a mob to violence, the 1st Amendment generally doesn't apply to private entities or private property....etc.

Exactly.

A little over four years ago one of my co-workers, a high-strung individual by nature, got stressed out on a busier than normal shift and made a comment about how he'd like to "come back with a gun and shoot up the place" to have an excuse for our product results being late for our clients. Well, that resulted in him being terminated, with a full report being made to the local police and a detailed report being outlined for HR. The company couldn't chance it being just a joke - liability is simply too great.
[ Edited by captveg on Apr 14, 2014 at 2:19 PM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
FREE ALDON !!!!
Originally posted by susweel:
FREE ALDON !!!!

"The Ballad of Aldon Smith", on Bob Dylan's next album.

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The Romeo Must Die movie says Treasure Island though!

There's already a former Navy brig there. Perfect
NinerGM I am with you. Every time I have ever been thru a TSA line I get selected for 2ndary inspection.

Maybe I should stop wearing my 49ers hat?
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
The crap we're going to have to put up with . . .

Alcatraz would be a dope location for a football stadium. Just think of the mess involved in getting to the game.
Originally posted by kray28:
Alcatraz would be a dope location for a football stadium. Just think of the mess involved in getting to the game.

It would be damn cold all the time out there in 'the slot' as well...
Ian Williams just went off on twitter about all the fans and media talking s**t about his teammates
Share 49ersWebzone