There are 244 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Your comparing the way the 49ers organization operates to the way the Seahawks organization operates. That's a red flag all in itself, and out of curiousity who do you think will get hurt worse, us losing Aldon earlier in the season (our defense has proven it can survive), or Seattle losing Lynch late in the season (Seattles offense heavily relies on Lynch playing to keep from falling on there face offensively)?
Get over your self.

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Comparing Lynch to Aldon is stupid. Lynch may just be an idiot who got caught. Aldon went VOLUNTARILY the team did not make him go. I'm pretty sure the CBA prevents that.

Your last statement about Seattle tells me your more worried about wins then the health of a human being.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
Your comparing the way the 49ers organization operates to the way the Seahawks organization operates. That's a red flag all in itself, and out of curiousity who do you think will get hurt worse, us losing Aldon earlier in the season (our defense has proven it can survive), or Seattle losing Lynch late in the season (Seattles offense heavily relies on Lynch playing to keep from falling on there face offensively)?

I am comparing the way the 49ers organization operates, to the way the Seahawks organization operates, as well as to the way EVERY other NFL organization operates.

Who is to say we won't lose Aldon late in the season? The NFL hasn't resolved anything with him yet. You see, they actually wait and see what an INVESTIGATION says, before performing any serious actions, like suspensions.
Who is to say Lynch or Aldon will ever be suspended? This is what investigations are for. They are much superior to knee jerk reactions.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:

Exactly Wilson hasn't done much this season.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
I am saying a couple things.

First, LT and Irvin had problems that were far worse than Aldon Smith might or might not have. They were addicted to cocaine. Aldon, perhaps is addicted to alcohol.
Second, NONE of these players have hurt their teams chances of winning games, so let's make that clear.
Third, we are the ONLY one of these teams, and maybe ANY team ever, that I am aware of, to send a player to a rehab facility DURING the football season. That is BIZARRE by itself for many reasons, and sends up red flags for many reasons. One of those red flags, being the validity of the idea that Aldon has a serious addition to alcohol. The validity is questioned, because if the problem is bad enough that we need to take the unprecedented action of sending a player to a rehab facility during a football season, then this scale of problem should have been noticed BEFORE the season, and not during.
Additionally, we make this decision immediately after a DUI arrest, almost as if it was a punishment of some kind for the DUI, rather than an effort to help the player.
Fourth, none of his other "problems" are in any way shape or form evidence of "alcoholism". The party, swerving from a deer as a passenger in a car etc.
The DUI's them self are "evidence" of an alcohol addition for sure, but so are the DUI's of countless other NFL players that have been arrested, including Jeff Garcia, Marshawn Lynch etc. None of these players had ever been sent to a rehab facility by their team that I am aware of; and I doubt even further, that any player as EVER been sent to a rehab facility DURING the season, causing them to miss games. This sends up another red flag, a red flag that screams of OVERREACTION. Why has this never happened BEFORE?

Those are the points I am trying to make. The red flags are numerous. It appears as if it is an overreaction to a common problem. An overreaction spurred by ALL of Aldon's non-alcoholic related off-the field activities for sure, but still an overreaction.
It appears to me, that we have thrown someone into a rehab clinic, for a DUI, because he is having a pattern of off-the-field issues, NOT because he is a flat out "alcoholic" with a serious addition.

Of course it's all speculation (like everything on a message board). However, I feel the speculation is valid, and Aldon Smith should be playing football and helping us win games, just like Marshawn Lynch is doing for the 4 - 1 Seahawks.

Oh my god... you can't be serious? I think you are just learning today that alcoholism is an actual thing.
I am comparing the way the 49ers organization operates, to the way the Seahawks organization operates, as well as to the way EVERY other NFL organization operates.

Who is to say we won't lose Aldon late in the season? The NFL hasn't resolved anything with him yet. You see, they actually wait and see what an INVESTIGATION says, before performing any serious actions, like suspensions.
Who is to say Lynch or Aldon will ever be suspended? This is what investigations are for. They are much superior to knee jerk reactions.

History says suspensions will be levied. But not till after the court has its way. By the way I guess you missed the part where a Washington politician was able to get Lynch's trial postponed.

I'm thinking the NFL will give time served. Giving us Aldon when we need him most instead of questioning when will we lose him. Like youndsid hasn't been done before. So anything is a possibility.

And quit ignoring the fact Aldon checked himself in. The team didn't force him. If that was the case he never would have played that game.
Interesting to bring up knee jerk reactions.
Originally posted by kingairta:
History says suspensions will be levied. But not till after the court has its way. By the way I guess you missed the part where a Washington politician was able to get Lynch's trial postponed.

I'm thinking the NFL will give time served. Giving us Aldon when we need him most instead of questioning when will we lose him. Like youndsid hasn't been done before. So anything is a possibility.

And quit ignoring the fact Aldon checked himself in. The team didn't force him. If that was the case he never would have played that game.

I expect a fine and a shorter then usual suspension, but with a clean Aldon, no real suspensions in the future.
Get over your self.

Just because it hasn't been done before doesn't mean its the right thing to do. Comparing Lynch to Aldon is stupid. Lynch may just be an idiot who got caught. Aldon went VOLUNTARILY the team did not make him go. I'm pretty sure the CBA prevents that.

Your last statement about Seattle tells me your more worried about wins then the health of a human being.

Aldon: "Mr. York?"
Jed: "Yes Aldon?"

Aldon: "I am going to suspend myself and check into an alcohol rehab clinic."
Jed: "Really Aldon? Right now during the season? You'll miss a lot of games."

Aldon: "Now is as good a time as any."
Jed: "I didn't realize you were an alcoholic. I thought you just made a poor decision."

Aldon: "No its much deeper than that, sorry to say, I am."
Jed: "Wow. That's really noble of you Aldon. I don't think any player has ever done this before in the history of the NFL."

Aldon: "Yeah, well, I am a very noble guy."
Jed: "Don't worry, we won't tell anybody, and we'll happily pay you for your noble cause."

Aldon: "Gee, thanks. That's nice of you."

Yeah...

I'm sure it happened just like that.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM ]
If Aldon really is an alcoholic, he needs to stay in rehab until he's better. This is his general well being we're talking about.

This isn't like the Marshawn Lynch situation at all. Lynch had a DUI but that doesn't mean he suffers from alcoholism. I had no problem with him playing while waiting for the legal process and punishment to play itself out.

Aldon's situation is different. He needs help NOW, not later when his condition worsens.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:45 PM ]

Quit being a tool. You obviously have no clue what was going on prior.

Go back tomthe playground with the kindergartners and leave this thread to the adults.

Aldon: "Mr. York?"
Jed: "Yes Aldon?"

Aldon: "I am going to suspend myself and check into an alcohol rehab clinic."
Jed: "Really Aldon? Right now during the season? You'll miss a lot of games."

Aldon: "Now is as good a time as any."
Jed: "I didn't realize you were an alcoholic. I thought you just made a poor decision."

Aldon: "No its much deeper than that, sorry to say, I am."
Jed: "Wow. That's really noble of you Aldon. I don't think any player has ever done this before in the history of the NFL."

Aldon: "Yeah, well, I am a very noble guy."
Jed: "Don't worry, we won't tell anybody, and we'll happily pay you for your noble cause."

Aldon: "Gee, thanks. That's nice of you."

Yeah...

I'm sure it happened just like that.

It's too bad that Lynch didn't ignore the politician and check himself into an alcohol rehabilitation facility. He should take a page out of Aldon Smith's book of noble deeds.

"Tis a far far better thing that I do now...".
Are you willing to risk the scenario Dallas faced last season? Josh Brent had a similar dui history and his ended in the death of a teammate.
[ Edited by kingairta on Oct 8, 2013 at 8:53 PM ]

It's not hard for these players Lawyers to push the trial dates out past the end of the season.
wonder how soon after he gets back he'll be suspended and for how long? you guys think the commish will go lighter on him since hes not playing already and going to rehab? and it wasnt an illegal substance. dobbs got 1 game suspension and this is the first time aldon has had an incident midseason. hopefully if they punish him its a one or two game and nothing longer. or postpone it til next season
Share 49ersWebzone