There are 183 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by 4evrfan:
Most of us are assuming this is just a case of a guy wanting a payday, but what if Aldon does have some culpability here. Just because he's a 9'er doesn't automatically make him innocent. I sure as hell don't want to lose him, even if it's for a short period, but, I'm also tired of seeing celebrities, sports, entertainment or otherwise, getting away with $h!t. Look at Manziel's joke of a penalty! Heck, Brooks dodged a bullet too (no pun intended). I pray this is just some trumped up BS, but if it's not............

Aldon will get it worse than most just because he is a celebrity. This thing will be dramatized and talked about over and over again. Here we are a year and a half and look at the headlines. This would not happen to us. This is in play only because it is Aldon. I think nothing of it unless charges are filed. Just some bum looking to get paid and there is no risk from Aldon to society at large no more than from the rest of us. He seems to have learned from this and have gotten his head on straight

I agree with what you say regarding publicity and a$$holes wanting a payday, but not when it comes to penalties. Seems like celebrities get so many more chances and lighter sentences than the average Joe. Just an observation, but I believe it's accurate.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by natrone06:
Aldon Reminds me of Kenny Britt. Not a bad guy, comes off well in interviews , coaches and teamates like him ect.Aldons history. But Just coming in the lg sooooo young and immature and given millions of dollars with lots of free time is a dangerous recipe for guys like them.

Where is Aldons father? I wonder if he is around to help guide his son.

From July last year.
Glad to see my theory is incorrect in his case. He obviously has some sense and training which might explain his change of heart since last off season. This is good and I really don't anticipate a string of bad behavior from this player
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Fo
Originally posted by DrHawkingThe12th:
The lawsuit claims Smith and Walker fired shots at people at the party and that they knew the handguns were illegally possessed. It goes on to claim the person was shot twice and suffered permanent damage.

I guess the question should be whether or not that person can claim they were shot and whether or not they can claim it was from guns used by Smith and Walker.

Forensics tests had already proven that Aldon and Delanie hadn't shot anyone. This is a civil lawsuit which means he's looking for $ not justice; it's obvious your just here trying to stir s**t up.

Exactly.

If they really did any of this, there should have been at least a police report filed about it, but there was nothing.
And then all of a sudden, out of the blue, comes the civil lawsuit.
Originally posted by ModestoNiner33:
Fo
Forensics tests had already proven that Aldon and Delanie hadn't shot anyone. This is a civil lawsuit which means he's looking for $ not justice; it's obvious your just here trying to stir s**t up.

I don't think he is claiming that they shot anyone. He is just claiming that they fired shots, causing others to fire shots, causing him to get shot.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Sep 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM ]
Most of us are assuming this is just a case of a guy wanting a payday, but what if Aldon does have some culpability here. Just because he's a 9'er doesn't automatically make him innocent. I sure as hell don't want to lose him, even if it's for a short period, but, I'm also tired of seeing celebrities, sports, entertainment or otherwise, getting away with $h!t. Look at Manziel's joke of a penalty! Heck, Brooks dodged a bullet too (no pun intended). I pray this is just some trumped up BS, but if it's not............

Aldon will get it worse than most just because he is a celebrity. This thing will be dramatized and talked about over and over again. Here we are a year and a half and look at the headlines. This would not happen to us. This is in play only because it is Aldon. I think nothing of it unless charges are filed. Just some bum looking to get paid and there is no risk from Aldon to society at large no more than from the rest of us. He seems to have learned from this and have gotten his head on straight

I agree with what you say regarding publicity and a$$holes wanting a payday, but not when it comes to penalties. Seems like celebrities get so many more chances and lighter sentences than the average Joe. Just an observation, but I believe it's accurate.
I can agree they have money to hire representation we can't and connections we don't have access to but they are also under the microscope for every little infraction
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by real9erfan:
Correct, there is no legal issue with firing a gun in the air on his property, especially if he felt threatened and was defending himself. The issue is indeed about the compliance of the weapon. I just don't understand why he needed that assault rifle. It's plain stupid. These kids need to think before acting and just consider how their actions might affect their lives, their careers, and their teams. I appreciate that Aldon hasn't done anything stupid since that time, and that may be something that goes in his favor when the DA considers pressing charges. But getting these assault rifles and holding a party in his home for gangster thugs was just plain stupid.

I agree, I am Canadian so pretty much anti-gun. Don't see the need for assault rifles, etc.

So if what you say is true that the only legal issue is the compliance then this really is nothing more than a pain in the ass for Aldon. He should have known the laws when purchasing the guns so should have had them modified to comply. If the DA presses charges I can't see it being anything more than a misdemeanor. Felony would be a huge stretch.

The civil case will just be something he has to deal with.

But I don't see this coming down as something he could be suspended for. Suspending him cause he owned a gun that had a removable clip when it shouldn't would be ridiculous.

Yes, I doubt the DA would bring felony charges on this issue. But it's still a distraction, which could have been avoided had Aldon been a little smarter. The civil case will most likely be settled out of court. I don't think the civil case is totally without merit, so I doubt Aldon's attorneys will want to go to trial on it. But if it were just a civil case I wouldn't worry about it too much. Having to deal with a criminal case, however, makes things more worrisome, even if it is just a misdemeanor. I do think that Crabtree's issue before the NFCCG last year did distract him, even though no charges were brought later.
Fred Dean ... Charles Haley ... Aldon Smith ... all great, long-armed, lean pass rushers who were a little kookoo upstairs.
I don't have the time to search/find any articles about this, so could someone tell me if this is something I should worry about/ is he going to be suspended at all?

please
[ Edited by OregonDuckNiner on Sep 5, 2013 at 4:23 PM ]
Originally posted by DrHawkingThe12th:
The lawsuit claims Smith and Walker fired shots at people at the party and that they knew the handguns were illegally possessed. It goes on to claim the person was shot twice and suffered permanent damage.

I guess the question should be whether or not that person can claim they were shot and whether or not they can claim it was from guns used by Smith and Walker.

Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:
I don't have the time to search/find any articles about this, so could someone tell me if this is something I should worry about/ is he going to be suspended at all?

please

Little chance, no criminal charges were ever filled because there was no evidence that showed wrong doing. In fact most accounts were that Aldon had a party, it got out of hand and he tried to stop what was happening. Now there is a guy who is claiming negligence a year later in a obvious cash grab. The one real outstanding issue is that he had in the house some firearms that were legal in the state he bought them, but had to be modified (likely they were ARs that needed to be made semi-auto) in order to comply with Cali law. Betting it will be a fine and probation, but shouldn't hurt his career or result in suspension. It is dumb not to check on local laws when moving, but but not malicious, as long is he is respectful and contrite the law should work with him.

Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

please

Little chance, no criminal charges were ever filled because there was no evidence that showed wrong doing. In fact most accounts were that Aldon had a party, it got out of hand and he tried to stop what was happening. Now there is a guy who is claiming negligence a year later in a obvious cash grab. The one real outstanding issue is that he had in the house some firearms that were legal in the state he bought them, but had to be modified (likely they were ARs that needed to be made semi-auto) in order to comply with Cali law. Betting it will be a fine and probation, but shouldn't hurt his career or result in suspension. It is dumb not to check on local laws when moving, but but not malicious, as long is he is respectful and contrite the law should work with him.

Awesome, thanks man. It's a relief that it's not too serious... I got a bad feeling in my stomach thinking he'd be suspended for the Packers and Seahawk games

please

this.......
Originally posted by defenderDX:

please

this.......

Don't worry about it. Even if they press charges, he can delay any conviction until at least the off season.
With Parys and Cam gone I really really really hope nothing happens now
No matter what Aldon did or didn't do, one thing for sure he didn't do. He didn't walk into a NY niteclub with a pistol in his pants and then proceed to shoot himself in the crotch...and then did 2 yrs time for it. Now THAT was stooooopid. That's not Aldon.
Share 49ersWebzone