LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by TexasGuero49:
We better here something today so we can make adjustments before the season starts

i'm sure it will be announced today.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
If they don't announce it soon I'm going to .
Originally posted by socal9er42:
OK - Non "suspension pending" question. A question about his play.

I keep hearing how AS is an absolute animal in Camp and near unstoppable. Making Staley look silly at times, etc.

I sure haven't seen it in the actual preseason games (admittedly a limited number of snaps). I see him getting late pressure at times, but nothing that's very impressive. I don't think anybody else is seeing much either, as he isn't being mentioned as a "winner" in the winner-loser" threads.

Is it strictly because he is being held back? Limited scheming? Minimal stunts? "Don't get injured at all costs"?

Or is it something else?

That's because people aren't paying attention to him. People are looking at Aldon as purely a pass rusher, he is no longer that, he is a complete OLB

he has impact on every single play if you pay attention.

for 1 how many runs do you see go to his side? Few..

How many times yesterday did they run to his side or do a quick pass in the back field to his side and he was right there unblocked ready to make the tackle, he missed a couple but he was unblocked and there.

He is getting qb pressure on some downs but they were rarely in any obvious passing downs, his responsibilities go beyond that.

Look at the 4th down play yesterday, he made that play by himself. They tried to run to his side but the person in charge of blocking him got shoved back into the lead blocker for the running back forcing the rb to cut inside to where 3 or 4 niners were waiting. That is aldon's impact.. go watch that play. He literally pushed the tackle into the fb and killed the entire play.

So if you're just looking for sacks? Ok he isn't getting sacks YET but impact of play? he's impacted every game he's played in so far.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Looks like no Aldon announcement today.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Looks like no Aldon announcement today.

Ready to hear it soon
Looks like he's not getting suspended at all
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

I keep hearing how AS is an absolute animal in Camp and near unstoppable. Making Staley look silly at times, etc.

I sure haven't seen it in the actual preseason games (admittedly a limited number of snaps). I see him getting late pressure at times, but nothing that's very impressive. I don't think anybody else is seeing much either, as he isn't being mentioned as a "winner" in the winner-loser" threads.

Is it strictly because he is being held back? Limited scheming? Minimal stunts? "Don't get injured at all costs"?

Or is it something else?

That's because people aren't paying attention to him. People are looking at Aldon as purely a pass rusher, he is no longer that, he is a complete OLB

How many times yesterday did they run to his side or do a quick pass in the back field to his side and he was right there unblocked ready to make the tackle, he missed a couple but he was unblocked and there.

He is getting qb pressure on some downs but they were rarely in any obvious passing downs, his responsibilities go beyond that.

Look at the 4th down play yesterday, he made that play by himself. They tried to run to his side but the person in charge of blocking him got shoved back into the lead blocker for the running back forcing the rb to cut inside to where 3 or 4 niners were waiting. That is aldon's impact.. go watch that play. He literally pushed the tackle into the fb and killed the entire play.

So if you're just looking for sacks? Ok he isn't getting sacks YET but impact of play? he's impacted every game he's played in so far.

Or maybe it is because he is practicing a weakness during the preseason games. I have heard ex-football players mention in interviews that they never looked good in preseason because they were trying a new move or working on a weakness. But once regular season started, they went with whatever gave them the advantage in order to make a play on every play.
Now I am just annoyed...Going on 3 weeks now to make a decision when it was said it would take 1 week and up to 2.... Ridiculous, the decision was made long ago. I doubt there has been any new considerations since a few days after the meeting.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by jonesadrian:

Or is it something else?

Or maybe it is because he is practicing a weakness during the preseason games. I have heard ex-football players mention in interviews that they never looked good in preseason because they were trying a new move or working on a weakness. But once regular season started, they went with whatever gave them the advantage in order to make a play on every play.

I'm hoping it's something like that - as I said, it's preseason, so I don't put much emphasis on it, but I have noticed it. I am HOPING that many (most?) of the Veterans are working on things and just getting used to "game speed contact" while trying to avoid injuries.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks in Dallas.
I'm hoping it's something like that - as I said, it's preseason, so I don't put much emphasis on it, but I have noticed it. I am HOPING that many (most?) of the Veterans are working on things and just getting used to "game speed contact" while trying to avoid injuries.

We'll find out in a couple of weeks in Dallas.

It's the preseason. A lot of success on defense in the NFL is based on pure effort and will, something that very few vets gives in these games.

• kray28
  • Veteran
Roger will make sure to spring it on us a couple days before the Dallas game.
http://goldengatesports.com/2014/08/24/aldon-smith-long-will-suspended/

Makes a good point.
Originally posted by Wu-5Rings:
http://goldengatesports.com/2014/08/24/aldon-smith-long-will-suspended/

Makes a good point.

Agree. This is taking a long time because Goodell has created so many weird precedents, the length of these suspensions no longer make any sense. There is no system in place, it's just Goodell making decisions based on how he "feels" at that particular moment in time.
I can not believe monday has come and gone (on the East Coast) and we still dont know where Aldon stands. What a crock of crocketty crap.
If he appeals his suspension won't he be able to play week 1 now since it's only 2 weeks away
Share 49ersWebzone