There are 167 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Has Aldon even been charged yet?

Nope and he probably won't be charged. Its a stupid reason to arest someone anyway.

So if he isn't charged what will happen? Will people still think the 49ers should cut him? Cause what has really changed since his DUI?

Tim K hinted at there are some incidents that have gone on that aren't public that is also driving the 49ers opinion.

Curious how Tim K would know this, he's not the beat writer or a member of the organization

Why do you guys believe that little evil conniving b*****d? He's always trying to stir s**t up. Him, Ray Ratto, and Mike Florio are all pieces of s**t
The only one that can save Aldon is Aldon. He's a great player and I sure hope he's here for a long time, but the team recognizes that will only happen if he gets it together. The last time, the team "had his back". That didn't work. Now they are saying it's a "disappointment". That's throwing it back on Aldon and challenging him to be responsible for his own actions. They're not going to pick up his fifth year, and they are certainly not going to franchise him next year as has been suggested, as the billionaire family that owns the team certainly has other business interests and will not be that embarressed. If he's coming back, it's because the team can count on him, and they won't obligate themselves to another dime until they are comfortable with that. It's a wake up call that I pray Aldon heeds. If not, we're moving on, and there is no indespensable man.

Unlike this, I don't know if there is anything to the Kaep thing or what the team may or may not know that we don't, but I think the team is likewise "disappointed" that he was even there, and that the suspension of contract talks is the same message that you too can be replaced is you become an embarressment to the team, so please don't go there.
Originally posted by BOI49er:
The only one that can save Aldon is Aldon. He's a great player and I sure hope he's here for a long time, but the team recognizes that will only happen if he gets it together. The last time, the team "had his back". That didn't work. Now they are saying it's a "disappointment". That's throwing it back on Aldon and challenging him to be responsible for his own actions. They're not going to pick up his fifth year, and they are certainly not going to franchise him next year as has been suggested, as the billionaire family that owns the team certainly has other business interests and will not be that embarressed. If he's coming back, it's because the team can count on him, and they won't obligate themselves to another dime until they are comfortable with that. It's a wake up call that I pray Aldon heeds. If not, we're moving on, and there is no indespensable man.

Unlike this, I don't know if there is anything to the Kaep thing or what the team may or may not know that we don't, but I think the team is likewise "disappointed" that he was even there, and that the suspension of contract talks is the same message that you too can be replaced is you become an embarressment to the team, so please don't go there.

If what you are saying is true, then it only proves that Jed York cares more about PR, than he does about winning. Eddie D wouldn't have given a hoot about any of this PR drama. He was all about winning.
We are getting the option. Its good business. No one from 49er brass has said otherwise. Two dates: Apr 29 and May 3. After that we will practice good business and get the option deal with the blowback for a week and then the draft when all focus shifts to the rookies. We will let the legal do its thing in 2014 then the commish and apply time served to a suspension. When Aldon comes back from all this he should be fit to produce to the point we can make a real decision for 2015. Trade or keep. We won't let Aldon walk with no compensation!
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BrianGO:
It's about IMAGE right now.

The incident is fresh in the minds of the soccer moms who are horrified by his act of terrorism. To placate those soccer moms, the 49ers PR is making the decisions right now. We would be utterly incompetent to not pick up his option, assuming winning is what we actually want to do.

We put up with Haley for years because we had a commitment to WINNING. That was our priority. Now, in the days of twitter, it seems like more of a popularity contest, rather than a contest for the Super Bowl. If the team doesn't pick up his option by May 3rd, then it is obvious we care more about the popularity contest, then we do winning.

When we were winning Super Bowls, we had a Raider "Just Win Baby" philosophy, even more than the Raiders did. We had all kinds of misfits, the most notable of course being the super psycho Haley, but we dealt with it because Eddie D just wanted to WIN. He could give a s**t about jokes at airports or brass knuckles, he just wanted to WIN.

I feel once the public relations nightmare dies down a bit, we will pick up his option by May 3rd.

Yep I think so too. They have to make it look like they're considering getting rid of him until the media storm dies down, but unless there's some other real bad stuff we don't know about, I don't see any way they don't take the option.
Sofa, I think my heart agrees with you, but my head says, wait it out. Do I think aldon will get cut? No way. Do I want to see what the Goodell reaction is? Yes. If he is out for 4 games, no big deal. If half a yr, ok, I'd think about it and pick up the option. If Goodell makes him stay out a yr, I would say no. But all the things Aldon has done don't come close to what others have done and got 4 game suspension. Has he pulled some dumb moves? Yup. Does he know how to get after the QB or RB? Yup. Is he one of the top passrushers in last 3 yrs? Yup. So if Goodell hands down even a half yr suspension, I think aldon would have good grounds to contest that, in that what he has done was not be very smart, not malicious. The TSA thing, I think I could have qualified for, altho we still don't know what happened. To date NOBODY knows except Aldon and the TSA guys there. The arrest as an afterthought sure sounds like a b.s. arrest. So even if my head says no, I would sign him...with caveats...and get on with football.

I would be curious if someone had any info on a guy who had DUI and self committed himself to rehab, missing 6 games. IS there any precedent on that on what Goodell or anybody before him did... ie, as far as additional suspension or not?

True there is the TSA incident, but man the more I hear the phonier it gets. If he said bomb, I sure would like to know the context in which it came out. I bet a ton of money he didn't say he HAD a bomb...or threatened to blow up a bomb. This may come down to semantics and he said/she said, but this is starting to sound like c.s.
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Apr 18, 2014 at 6:14 PM ]
If what you are saying is true, then it only proves that Jed York cares more about PR, than he does about winning. Eddie D wouldn't have given a hoot about any of this PR drama. He was all about winning.

Eddie 'Riverboat Gambler' D obviously did not care as much about his business rep either.
Originally posted by Disp:
Yep I think so too. They have to make it look like they're considering getting rid of him until the media storm dies down, but unless there's some other real bad stuff we don't know about, I don't see any way they don't take the option.

This! We are not business idiots and Paraag won't stand for this crap! He has a specific salary cap structure itemized to the letter according to his projections on age, talent and developmental players. He won't let us throw Aldon away for nothing and disrupt what he has helped us build. The 5th year option aside from the rookie pay scale itself is one of the single biggest advantages the owners wrested away from the players in the last CBA! Why not be smart management and take advantage on the best pass rusher in the NFL??
BrianGO, that's just not true. In 1992 Eddie D traded Charles Hailey, a superior pass rusher, to our rival Dallas Cowboys. I just don't think a more appropriate analogy is possible. What I say is not criticism or praise of the team. It is just the world we live in. Don't embarrass your owner if you want him to pay you mega bucks out of his pocket. Or get s**t faced and be "uncooperative" with authority. You choose.
Originally posted by Bluesbro:

Eddie 'Riverboat Gambler' D obviously did not care as much about his business rep either.

Oh absolutely. Just like with football. He wanted to win. He wanted that riverboat licence, so he did what it took to get it. He was not an angel.
That attitude got him in trouble, but it also won him 5 Super Bowls. So again, it really comes down to what is more important. Some might think Aldon Smith's act of terrorism is more important than winning a Super Bowl. That is fine, they have a right to that opinion.

BrianGO, that's just not true. In 1992 Eddie D traded Charles Hailey, a superior pass rusher, to our rival Dallas Cowboys. I just don't think a more appropriate analogy is possible. What I say is not criticism or praise of the team. It is just the world we live in. Don't embarrass your owner if you want him to pay you mega bucks out of his pocket. Or get s**t faced and be "uncooperative" with authority. You choose.

And he called it the biggest mistake he ever made.
Act of terrorism

And he called it the biggest mistake he ever made.

Yup. Both Eddie D and Seifert deeply regretted that. It cost us 3 SBs at least. I bet that hurt much more than any negative press Haley brought to the team.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:16 PM ]
The front office is just waiting for charges to be dropped in that airport incident.....As well as waiting for that hearing on the 29th. Then they will pick up the option.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
Sofa, I think my heart agrees with you, but my head says, wait it out. Do I think aldon will get cut? No way. Do I want to see what the Goodell reaction is? Yes. If he is out for 4 games, no big deal. If half a yr, ok, I'd think about it and pick up the option. If Goodell makes him stay out a yr, I would say no. But all the things Aldon has done don't come close to what others have done and got 4 game suspension. Has he pulled some dumb moves? Yup. Does he know how to get after the QB or RB? Yup. Is he one of the top passrushers in last 3 yrs? Yup. So if Goodell hands down even a half yr suspension, I think aldon would have good grounds to contest that, in that what he has done was not be very smart, not malicious. The TSA thing, I think I could have qualified for, altho we still don't know what happened. To date NOBODY knows except Aldon and the TSA guys there. The arrest as an afterthought sure sounds like a b.s. arrest. So even if my head says no, I would sign him...with caveats...and get on with football.

I would be curious if someone had any info on a guy who had DUI and self committed himself to rehab, missing 6 games. IS there any precedent on that on what Goodell or anybody before him did... ie, as far as additional suspension or not?

True there is the TSA incident, but man the more I hear the phonier it gets. If he said bomb, I sure would like to know the context in which it came out. I bet a ton of money he didn't say he HAD a bomb...or threatened to blow up a bomb. This may come down to semantics and he said/she said, but this is starting to sound like c.s.

Aldon: "Are you finally done checking me? I wanted to get something to eat before my flight."
TSA: "Yep. All done. I mean Aldon. I mean, I am finished checking. Sorry, it's just procedure." *smiles*
Aldon: *smiles back* "Are you sure you're finished? Because, "I have a bomb". *smiles*
TSA: *smiles* "Ha, OK, well, you're good to go, have a nice day, and "Go 9ers".
Aldon: *smiling* "Alright, thank you, I'm going to get a bite to eat."

TSA supervisor: "What were you chatting about with Aldon Smith?"
TSA: "Oh, he was a little upset because he wanted to get a bite to eat before his flight."
Supervisor: "Yes, but what did you say to each other? I saw you both joking around. You know, you have a very serious job, and it's not a laughing matter."
TSA: "Oh, well, I told him I was finished checking him, and then he kind of joked and said, "I have a bomb" and we kind of laughed and..."
Supervisor: "What was that? He said he had a bomb!" *Gets on his radio. tttshhh* "Copy, hello? Ya we have a code Orange. Repeat code Orange."
Supervisor: "Why did you let him go? Are you crazy?!"
TSA: "Well it was just a joke and..."
Supervisor: "Where is he now?"
TSA: "I think he went to the McDonald's."
Supervisor: *On his radio* "Copy. Suspect at the McDonald's, all units converge to the McDonald's. Repeat, bomb suspect at the McDonalds."
TSA: "I don't think he really meant it."
Supervisor: "BTW, you're fired."
TSA: "Awe."
[ Edited by BrianGO on Apr 18, 2014 at 7:23 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone