There are 215 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by crabman82:
Originally posted by susweel:
sign him and kap to extensions ASAP

to think we got these 2 within the first 40 picks of a draft when other teams are already moving on from gabbert, ponder and maybe even locker. hell i wouldnt take the 1st pick cam instead of kaep. talk about effective double dipping.

Yes the two most important positions: passer and pass rusher according to Bill Walsh
Originally posted by buck:

I would be a little cautious on extending Aldon Smith, because of, and only because of, his off-the-field problems.

Aldon still has felony gun charges pending.

I am not clear as to the degree that the issues that lad to his stint in rehab have been resolved.

This is not a valid concern, imo. Just include a clause into the contract stating that he will not be paid if he goes to jail (or for whatever reason the team thinks of).

They need to extend him now. If they wait, the price will go up. The guy is the real deal and another year of stellar play will do nothing but raise his value.
Originally posted by Empire49:
Originally posted by buck:

I would be a little cautious on extending Aldon Smith, because of, and only because of, his off-the-field problems.

Aldon still has felony gun charges pending.

I am not clear as to the degree that the issues that lad to his stint in rehab have been resolved.

This is not a valid concern, imo. Just include a clause into the contract stating that he will not be paid if he goes to jail (or for whatever reason the team thinks of).

They need to extend him now. If they wait, the price will go up. The guy is the real deal and another year of stellar play will do nothing but raise his value.

exactly. you right language in the contract voiding things if certain scenarios unfold with him. its not the nba or mlb.
According to Maiocco we have a 5th year option for him so he is signed for 2014 and 2015 yet. So don't expect us to sign him any time soon although doing so we would get him cheaper than we would 2-3 years now (place tag on him). Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal. So Kaepernick, Crabtree, Miller, Hunter, Culliver and others could be extended before we worry about him. Maybe even Dorsey, Skuta and Spillman. We could wait until after this season or into the 2015 season before we have to start working on him unless we plan to tag him.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kilgore-extended-miller-and-hunter-could-be-next
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Feb 27, 2014 at 7:44 PM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
According to Maiocco we have a 5th year option for him so he is signed for 2014 and 2015 yet. So don't expect us to sign him any time soon although doing so we would get him cheaper than we would 2-3 years now (place tag on him). Technically we could have him for 2014, 2015 and tag him in 2016 and 2017 without having to sign him to a long term deal. So Kaepernick, Crabtree, Miller, Hunter, Culliver and others could be extended before we worry about him. Maybe even Dorsey, Skuta and Spillman. We could wait until after this season or into the 2015 season before we have to start working on him unless we plan to tag him.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/kilgore-extended-miller-and-hunter-could-be-next

i read that too earlier, awesome news. just like how we got crabtree for a 6th season on his deal. wr's in draft class like nicks and maclin are all free agents.
  • sfout
  • Veteran

i read that too earlier, awesome news. just like how we got crabtree for a 6th season on his deal. wr's in draft class like nicks and maclin are all free agents.

Kind of but not really. under the new CBA / rookie wage scale, all 1st round selections have a 5th year option that may be exercised by a team. Kind of messed up IMO, especially for those now rare 1st round RBs, if one gets selected he could play 5 years for less than 1-2 mill per year and a 6th under the franchise and be basically just 2-3 years from the proverbial end of the line of 30 years old. Teams can wait 5-6 years before paying a player more than a near minimum and the players career could be anywhere from 50% over to completely used up.

Crabtree's was a compromise that allowed his agent to say he got 6 years but give the team an option to dump him after 5 if he was bust.

Yep, everyone b***hed about Crabtree and holding out and how he was a diva but in the long run it's helped us keep him this year where he would have been a FA. The deal seemed like a little bit much at the time but now 6 years, 32 million for a #1 wr was a steal. 5.33 mil a year for a #1 or even great #2 I'll take that any day. Looking back on the 09 draft I liked Crabtree, Raji, Oher or Orakpo. It worked out for us and will look even better if Crabtree gets extend because he gets better every year and Raji has declined like every year, Oher has declined but was once solid. He's been better than Heyward-Bey, Sanchez, Curry, Jackson and Jason Smith as well. Eugene Monroe and Stafford you can debate but other than that Crabtree and Orakpo have been the best of the top 15. Anyways, I'm off topic.
Yep, everyone b***hed about Crabtree and holding out and how he was a diva but in the long run it's helped us keep him this year where he would have been a FA. The deal seemed like a little bit much at the time but now 6 years, 32 million for a #1 wr was a steal. 5.33 mil a year for a #1 or even great #2 I'll take that any day. Looking back on the 09 draft I liked Crabtree, Raji, Oher or Orakpo. It worked out for us and will look even better if Crabtree gets extend because he gets better every year and Raji has declined like every year, Oher has declined but was once solid. He's been better than Heyward-Bey, Sanchez, Curry, Jackson and Jason Smith as well. Eugene Monroe and Stafford you can debate but other than that Crabtree and Orakpo have been the best of the top 15. Anyways, I'm off topic.

Boy was I wrong on Oher. Mr.Blindside completely sucks.
Franchise tag for aldon Smith next year is 10m not bad
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Why would we franchise him next year when we have him under contract?

Originally posted by SportsFan:
Originally posted by 49er_Rider:

Why would we franchise him next year when we have him under contract?

He would be a free agent next year but clubs were informed top 10 picks in 2011 get a 5th year option on them
Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 39m
Tag numbers I tweeted out were given to clubs. Transition #'s relevant this year b/c they = 5th-year options for Top 10 picks in '11 draft.

Albert Breer ‏@AlbertBreer 30m
So 5th-yr options for ... Newton/Locker/Gabbert $14.7M, Dareus $8.1M, Miller/Smith $9.8M, Green/Jones $10.2M, Peterson $10.1M, Smith $10.0M.
So to me it makes more sense to let him play this year then next year pick up the 5th year option for 9.8 because if we re-signed him he would make more than 9.8 anyways. He'd be looking for 12-15 plus. So we probably don't have to start negotiating with him until after next season or into the 2015 season. Our 2013 FA's, Kap, Crabtree, Iupati (already doing but not going well), Culliver, Miller, Dorsey, Skuta and possibly Hunter/Spillman will probably get negotiated with before Aldon.
So to me it makes more sense to let him play this year then next year pick up the 5th year option for 9.8 because if we re-signed him he would make more than 9.8 anyways. He'd be looking for 12-15 plus. So we probably don't have to start negotiating with him until after next season or into the 2015 season. Our 2013 FA's, Kap, Crabtree, Iupati (already doing but not going well), Culliver, Miller, Dorsey, Skuta and possibly Hunter/Spillman will probably get negotiated with before Aldon.

This sounds right to me. He can get his legal crap dealt with in the mean time.
Share 49ersWebzone