LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 296 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

hope he gets off easy, we need him if we are going all the way this season
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
hope he gets off easy, we need him if we are going all the way this season

I agree with what many have said. I dont think any suspensions get handed out this year, because the league wont do anything until court.

He will likely be back this season after rehab.
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Federal law does not allow handguns to he sold that way.

I would lol if the government used taxpayer dollars to go after Aldon Smith during a government shut down. That would take the cake.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
LOL he got the Shawn Michaels treatment.

Best. Finishing move. Ever.
Although its dumb of him not to know the guns laws of the state he lives in, I actually think he didnt know the CA laws on assault rifles, looking more into when he purchased them he had only been in CA for 6-7 monthes if that, the guns where purchased in december of 2011.
Thanks for the info, like i said, been awhile since i was in CA, and never had to really deal with the laws.

Yea i knew the compliance parts for imports was a federal thing, not sure why i included that in my post, was just trying to show how crazy gun laws can be i guess.

Thanks for the info on the lack of a mag latch and the gun model not being specificly banned.

As to the bold, are you sure its the persons home state and not the state where the purchase occurs? I was under the impression that for long guns it was up to the states, but that pistols must be transfered through a FFL into the customers state. How would a state ban its resident from purchasing a long gun while in another state?

the long gun home state thing. It is the fed that requires it.
Originally posted by Marvin49:
He was stabbed at his party and DEFENDED HIMSELF by firing into the AIR. Cause and effect. Not an isolated incident. That isn't even disputed. He didn't shoot AT anyone. He SHOULD have called the police, but it isn't the crime spree you are making it out to be.

Why are these charges about possession and not about assault? The police considered his actions SELF DEFENSE.

Again. Pay attention.

Well, I was paying attention to the sfgate article which states twice that he was stabbed AFTER shooting in the air. He wasn't "defending himself" from being stabbed, he was trying to use a firearm for crowd control after he lost control of his party (which served booze via bartenders & charged $ - where did I get the impression he was at a club?)

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Warning-shots-tied-to-Aldon-Smith-s-2012-stabbing-4843505.php
Originally posted by Heed49er:
He was stabbed at his party and DEFENDED HIMSELF by firing into the AIR. Cause and effect. Not an isolated incident. That isn't even disputed. He didn't shoot AT anyone. He SHOULD have called the police, but it isn't the crime spree you are making it out to be.

Why are these charges about possession and not about assault? The police considered his actions SELF DEFENSE.

Again. Pay attention.

Well, I was paying attention to the sfgate article which states twice that he was stabbed AFTER shooting in the air. He wasn't "defending himself" from being stabbed, he was trying to use a firearm for crowd control after he lost control of his party (which served booze via bartenders & charged $ - where did I get the impression he was at a club?)

http://www.sfgate.com/49ers/article/Warning-shots-tied-to-Aldon-Smith-s-2012-stabbing-4843505.php

Really? THAT is your response?

You are correct about the order of events, but in your initial post you still were making this out as different isolated incidents...like a crime spree. The article you just linked proves MY point more than it proves yours...He was defending himself from people he didn't want at the party and got stabbed for his trouble. When the police arrived, they found the illegal firearms.

He still wasn't stabbed at a bar as you said. He still didn't fire AT people as you said. According to your OWN LINK he fired ONCE into the air after shots had already been fired. So..gratz...you're correct he wasn't stabbed before he got his gun. No, he was SHOT AT.

SMDH.
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM ]
BTW...everyone should read this from that linked article. This is the best recount I've read so far of what happened that night. Aldon SHOULD have called the police, but to be honest I really can't hammer him too hard considering the position he was in.

"Smith's alleged attacker at the party, 27-year-old Steven Barba, has been charged with assault, gun possession and gang enhancements in connection with the June 29, 2012, event at Smith's rented home.

More than 100 people showed up, but Smith decided to end it after someone brandished a gun at a bartender, Carrubba said. He said Smith told a group of guests to leave - and was closing his garage door - when someone fired three shots that lodged in the back of the garage.

Smith went to a bedroom, retrieved a .45-caliber handgun and fired a shot into the air, Carrubba said. He reopened the garage door, believing it was safe, but people were still congregating outside.

Carrubba said that as Smith walked out of the garage, someone uttered a "gang slur," prompting Smith to tell the group, "This is my house. I'm Aldon Smith." But the visitors still did not leave, and some told him that they didn't care who he was, Carrubba said.

Barba then used a knife to stab Smith twice, the prosecutor said.

Delanie Walker, a former 49ers tight end who was also at the party, then fired the same .45-caliber handgun into the air, Carrubba said. Another person returned fire, striking two guests, Ronndale Esporlas and Aaron Reyes, who suffered serious injuries.

Esporlas and Reyes are suing Smith and Walker, who now plays for the Tennessee Titans.

A second defendant, 20-year-old Christopher Sanchez of San Jose, had been accused of shooting another party guest, but the charges were dropped. Investigators had wrongly identified Sanchez from a surveillance video, Carrubba said. Smith has not been charged in the case."
[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 11, 2013 at 7:33 AM ]
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Thanks for the info, like i said, been awhile since i was in CA, and never had to really deal with the laws.

Yea i knew the compliance parts for imports was a federal thing, not sure why i included that in my post, was just trying to show how crazy gun laws can be i guess.

Thanks for the info on the lack of a mag latch and the gun model not being specificly banned.

As to the bold, are you sure its the persons home state and not the state where the purchase occurs? I was under the impression that for long guns it was up to the states, but that pistols must be transfered through a FFL into the customers state. How would a state ban its resident from purchasing a long gun while in another state?

the long gun home state thing. It is the fed that requires it.

So how would that work. Does the NICS system block you at purchase, or is it the responsibility of the seller to know every state law?

BTW...everyone should read this from that linked article. This is the best recount I've read so far of what happened that night. Aldon SHOULD have called the police, but to be honest I really can't hammer him too hard considering the position he was in.

"Smith's alleged attacker at the party, 27-year-old Steven Barba, has been charged with assault, gun possession and gang enhancements in connection with the June 29, 2012, event at Smith's rented home.

More than 100 people showed up, but Smith decided to end it after someone brandished a gun at a bartender, Carrubba said. He said Smith told a group of guests to leave - and was closing his garage door - when someone fired three shots that lodged in the back of the garage.

Smith went to a bedroom, retrieved a .45-caliber handgun and fired a shot into the air, Carrubba said. He reopened the garage door, believing it was safe, but people were still congregating outside.

Carrubba said that as Smith walked out of the garage, someone uttered a "gang slur," prompting Smith to tell the group, "This is my house. I'm Aldon Smith." But the visitors still did not leave, and some told him that they didn't care who he was, Carrubba said.

Barba then used a knife to stab Smith twice, the prosecutor said.

Delanie Walker, a former 49ers tight end who was also at the party, then fired the same .45-caliber handgun into the air, Carrubba said. Another person returned fire, striking two guests, Ronndale Esporlas and Aaron Reyes, who suffered serious injuries.

Esporlas and Reyes are suing Smith and Walker, who now plays for the Tennessee Titans.

A second defendant, 20-year-old Christopher Sanchez of San Jose, had been accused of shooting another party guest, but the charges were dropped. Investigators had wrongly identified Sanchez from a surveillance video, Carrubba said. Smith has not been charged in the case."

Wow, Aldon and Delanie almost died.

You are correct about the order of events, but in your initial post you still were making this out as different isolated incidents...like a crime spree. The article you just linked proves MY point more than it proves yours...He was defending himself from people he didn't want at the party and got stabbed for his trouble. When the police arrived, they found the illegal firearms.

He still wasn't stabbed at a bar as you said. He still didn't fire AT people as you said. According to your OWN LINK he fired ONCE into the air after shots had already been fired. So..gratz...you're correct he wasn't stabbed before he got his gun. No, he was SHOT AT.

SMDH.

That is my response. I went back to read the article because you so desperately wanted me to "pay attention".

Sorry he wasn't at a bar, it was just his house that he tried to make into a bar.

Shooting into the air to threaten people in a neighborhood is WAY better than shooting AT people. Unless there's someone at the location where his warning shot came back down.
His garage got shot, not him. If Smith getting his office pop on isn't shooting AT people than someone shooting his garage isn't him getting shot at. I'm sure he's not sporting a one car garage that needs to be manually opened.
You asked if I knew his BAC when he fired his gun & I don't. Neither do you. I bet he was closer to drunk than sober, though.
I'm confused how 2 DUIs & a weapons charge from an illegal party (CA does have liquor licenses, yes?) doesn't equal a pattern of crimes. He didn't do it all in one night so it's not a "spree" - he just keeps doing stupid & illegal crap repeatedly.

This dude can literally do almost anything he wants with his free time & so far it's populating the NFL's bad kid list.

He's a talent like LT was a talent, I just hope he doesn't wind up like LT off the field.
Originally posted by Heed49er:

SMDH.

That is my response. I went back to read the article because you so desperately wanted me to "pay attention".

Sorry he wasn't at a bar, it was just his house that he tried to make into a bar.

Shooting into the air to threaten people in a neighborhood is WAY better than shooting AT people. Unless there's someone at the location where his warning shot came back down.
His garage got shot, not him. If Smith getting his office pop on isn't shooting AT people than someone shooting his garage isn't him getting shot at. I'm sure he's not sporting a one car garage that needs to be manually opened.
You asked if I knew his BAC when he fired his gun & I don't. Neither do you. I bet he was closer to drunk than sober, though.
I'm confused how 2 DUIs & a weapons charge from an illegal party (CA does have liquor licenses, yes?) doesn't equal a pattern of crimes. He didn't do it all in one night so it's not a "spree" - he just keeps doing stupid & illegal crap repeatedly.

This dude can literally do almost anything he wants with his free time & so far it's populating the NFL's bad kid list.

He's a talent like LT was a talent, I just hope he doesn't wind up like LT off the field.

I think we all agree that Aldon did a stupid thing. But saying he shot his gun in the air to threaten people in a neighborhood totally mischaracterizes what happens. I do think he bears the responsibility of having a party to which gang members showed up, but you're framing it as if there is no context and he just decided to shoot a gun in the air like a maniac just to threaten the peaceful people in the neighborhood. That is not what happened. And trying to essentially brush off the shootings into his garage is totally unreasonable. I believe I would feel quite threatened if someone shot into my garage. Aldon fired a gun once into the air to try to get gun-brandishing gang members to leave his house. Yes the entire thing was irresponsible and stupid, and should never have happened. But you are creating an intent with Aldon that simply isn't there.
Originally posted by real9erfan:
I think we all agree that Aldon did a stupid thing. But saying he shot his gun in the air to threaten people in a neighborhood totally mischaracterizes what happens. I do think he bears the responsibility of having a party to which gang members showed up, but you're framing it as if there is no context and he just decided to shoot a gun in the air like a maniac just to threaten the peaceful people in the neighborhood. That is not what happened. And trying to essentially brush off the shootings into his garage is totally unreasonable. I believe I would feel quite threatened if someone shot into my garage. Aldon fired a gun once into the air to try to get gun-brandishing gang members to leave his house. Yes the entire thing was irresponsible and stupid, and should never have happened. But you are creating an intent with Aldon that simply isn't there.

I get that he wanted people to leave his home (that they paid him money to be at).

The bad element at this party already used their guns with little regard for anyone. Can you tell me Smith firing into the air is going to make them decide to pack it in & go home?
I don't want Aldon Smith to go to prison, I just want him to stop getting into these messed up situations.

Hopefully, this "re-hab" will help him.
Share 49ersWebzone