LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 132 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by real9erfan:
Originally posted by susweel:
I blame Jed York for not having the clout to get this swept under the rug.

You disappoint me young Jedi.

I think the DA wants to prove that he doesn't treat celebrities and rich people differently.

This. I read a few weeks ago that most often they wouldn't press charges on this type of case if it weren't a celebrity. The added attention to Aldon is likely why he's being charged.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BrianGO:
We put him into a facility after a full 3 days of non-investigation, and then never actually declare that he is an alcoholic.

We declared Scot McCloughan an alcoholic. Why can't we do the same thing with Aldon? Why the secrecy? Wait. I can answer that...
Because we don't have a frig'in clue, and felt we had to do "something" that sounded good at the time in order to "resolve" the issue because we are so darn responsible. It is truly a joke.

Link?

Still really curious if you have a link.

Let me save the suspence...they never DECLARED him an alcaholic. LOL. Teams don't do that.

...but you know that already.
Originally posted by Marvin49:

I think the DA wants to prove that he doesn't treat celebrities and rich people differently.

This. I read a few weeks ago that most often they wouldn't press charges on this type of case if it weren't a celebrity. The added attention to Aldon is likely why he's being charged.

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the past prior charges against him (vindicated or not) might have something to do with it.

was holding out hope he would return this season, now im expecting him not to after this. crap man s**t just keeps getting worse, i hope we sign seymour or get someone.

And if Jed were DeBartolo he would bring to light some dirt on the DA for trying to make an example of one of his players
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
was holding out hope he would return this season, now im expecting him not to after this. crap man s**t just keeps getting worse, i hope we sign seymour or get someone.

One has no effect on the other.

He may eventually face suspension, but it won't be this year.

Why is anyone surprised here? This isn't anything new. This was all reported as a possibility several weeks ago when the initial lawsuits came out.

Why is anyone surprised here? This isn't anything new. This was all reported as a possibility several weeks ago when the initial lawsuits came out.

Thinking the same thing, I think it's just sticker shock, people forgot/wished it wouldn't happen.
Originally posted by kidash98:

Oh, I don't know. Maybe the past prior charges against him (vindicated or not) might have something to do with it.

Sure, but this was something that was written in an article a few weeks ago. The DA has been criticized because he didn't press charges against some high end people, and he wants to prove that he doesn't offer special treatment to celebrities or the wealthy.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I just read that. I guess we need to plan on possibly not having Aldon on the team anymore . Although I do believe that he may plead down to a misdemeanor; it's going to be hard to make a felony charge stick.

Such b******t. Just cause he didn't have the correct magazine? A felony for that? Come on.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I just read that. I guess we need to plan on possibly not having Aldon on the team anymore . Although I do believe that he may plead down to a misdemeanor; it's going to be hard to make a felony charge stick.

Such b******t. Just cause he didn't have the correct magazine? A felony for that? Come on.

California gun control laws. He legally bought the guns in Arizona but did not modify them to meet California requirements.

People aren't surprised, just frustrated because the kid is a moron.
Originally posted by matt49er:

Thinking the same thing, I think it's just sticker shock, people forgot/wished it wouldn't happen.

Correct.

Just to update everyone....

1) He faces 2 CIVIL suits from 2 people who were shot by SOMEONE ELSE at the party hosted by Aldon and Delanie. The suits claim that Aldon and Delanie are responsible because they fired into the air after Aldon had been stabbed.

2) The police saw at that time that he owned firearms with illegal magazines (didn't require tools to remove). Most often this would not lead to a weapons charge because they were found while defendant was defending himself. Aldons celebrity is the problem here.

3) He haces charges on the second DUI.

This isn't a surprise. This isn't something new. This was always a possibility.
Now it seems almost impossible that Smith won't receive an additional suspension from the league. Formal charges from the DA, and a DUI (to go along with Reckless Driving last year). Yikes.
I'm just going to expect the worse to help me cope.
Originally posted by SportsFan:
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

California gun control laws. He legally bought the guns in Arizona but did not modify them to meet California requirements.

Correct.
Share 49ersWebzone