LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 219 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
I'm going to call him a tool again. I'm selfish. I'm sure in his position I'd be living it up. No excuse for not taking a free ride on the NFL's tab, though. . God knows I could have used a free ride home last Sunday.

It was a stupid thing to do, but let's take a second to look at it through his eyes.

Apparently, he hit a tree in the gated community where he lives. It seems as if, although it is not confirmed, that he was coming from Ray McDonald's house, who lives in the same neighborhood. So basically, it was a drive through the suburbs to his house that was only a few blocks away. I doubt he had any intention of going on any busy road or expressway.
Incredibly, he was so stoned/drunk that he couldn't even successfully drive a few blocks in the suburbs.

So although it was a DUI, it's not like he was in danger of smashing into busy traffic at high speed, like many other DUI's that have occurred by NFL players.
It was stupid, but it wasn't as utterly reckless as it appeared at first glance.

Children are walking to school at 7 in the morning. Wow are you an apologist. Nice try to minimize what he did. I guess some people overlook anything for a good sack artist. Including possible dead small grade school children....
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Originally posted by NickSh49:
And people were giving me s**t a couple weeks ago when I said Aldon seemed like kind of a thug...

Still a strong description to use. Aaron Hernandez is a thug. Aldon is a guy who likes to party, as a result he gets wasted a little more than he needs to, he's got to make better decisions - one being hiring a driver. But it's still a huge reach to call him a thug. Don't think he's that person.

Semantics. He's not very bright, that's for sure.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Children are walking to school at 7 in the morning. Wow are you an apologist. Nice try to minimize what he did. I guess some people overlook anything for a good sack artist. Including possible dead small grade school children....

but think of the children.

did he crash out at ray's house and then drive home the next morning to get ready for practice?. wrong, but notirresponsible, how many of you have driven the next morning after being s**t faced the night before? how drunk were you? what would your BAC have been?

if that is the case it is hard to be too mad. but if he pulled an all nighter drinking away, then he belongs in the throw the book at him category.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

but think of the children.

did he crash out at ray's house and then drive home the next morning to get ready for practice?. wrong, but notirresponsible, how many of you have driven the next morning after being s**t faced the night before? how drunk were you? what would your BAC have been?

if that is the case it is hard to be too mad. but if he pulled an all nighter drinking away, then he belongs in the throw the book at him category.

Doesn't make drinking and driving any better. Driving drunk is driving drunk no matter the excuse. .15 is still pretty intoxicated. Guy did crash his car so he obviously should not be driving. Not to mention with pills(probably what passed him out) and marijuana.

Guy is on a downward spiral. He is pushing his luck.
While I think it would be thoroughly disappointing if he didn't receive a swift kick in the ass, I'd be more even disappointed if we didn't get to witness a Smith and Watts showdown.

Upon further review.
Originally posted by NickSh49:
Semantics. He's not very bright, that's for sure.

I've known many brilliant alcoholics over the years. His DUIs have nothing to do with intelligence or lack there of and his gun play is speculation. We have very little info about the goings on and how Aldon was involved. But generally, Alcohol and guns don't mix well.
is the tree ok?
Originally posted by fister30:
Can we change this thread to the Corey Lemoneir thread? Corey is going to take Aldon's big contract. Aldon's big contract just slitted right out of Aldon's pocket and into Corey's.

Look for Corey to start to get a heavy dose of the work load until Aldon is suspended.

"Hold up wait a minute, let me put some Lemon in it"
Not my exact sentiments, but I had similar thoughts with regard to Corey ...
[ Edited by FlayvaMeister on Sep 22, 2013 at 7:38 AM ]
Non miller makes him look like a choir boy.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
is the tree ok?

Signing autographed leaves outside 49er head quarters!

• Jcool
  • Veteran
ProFootballTalk ‏@ProFootballTalk

Aldon Smith's playing time will hinge on his mindset http://wp.me/p14QSB-9hoI
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Aldon Smith could not be suspended by 49ers under CBA; consensus is get Smith to treatment once they get thru weekend. Help the young man
Need fantasy advice in regards to Aldon Smith guys please. I play in a league with defensive players (which I love) Aldon and PWilly are my LBs, I have Elvis Dumerville on my bench. Would love to play Aldon but with these new reports I'm not sure if I should sit him. Personally, I find it hard to believe his mindset will put him on the bench for this game, plus it's a great matchup for a passrusher. What would have guys do?
Originally posted by matt49er:
Need fantasy advice in regards to Aldon Smith guys please. I play in a league with defensive players (which I love) Aldon and PWilly are my LBs, I have Elvis Dumerville on my bench. Would love to play Aldon but with these new reports I'm not sure if I should sit him. Personally, I find it hard to believe his mindset will put him on the bench for this game, plus it's a great matchup for a passrusher. What would have guys do?

I don't see why he wouldn't play. I know he got in trouble but a DUI shouldn't prevent him from being able to perform as long as he's well rested. It's not like he killed someone.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jcool:
Chris Mortensen ‏@mortreport

Aldon Smith could not be suspended by 49ers under CBA; consensus is get Smith to treatment once they get thru weekend. Help the young man

That sucks, not only are we going to lose him when the league suspends him, we'll also lose him when he goes into rehab.
Share 49ersWebzone