There are 178 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• mayo49
  • Veteran
I think he's mixing mariquana and alcohol.
I'm starting to think maybe JJ Watt would have been a better pick. He' just as good of a player if not even 5% better. He gives you 0% trouble. Aldon is a lot of headaches and he is now going to lead to suspensions. He can't help us suspended. He's going to cost us this season. We may lose games for this. His act is getting old at tired at this point....
The niners have to make some action. Either explaining that the league prohibts them to take any action, or to punish him for missconduct, and then wait also for the leagues´s acton.
The State will make it´s cae, right now he´s hurting the team, and his suspension will come in a very bad moment.

With the massive contracts that these players have the fines of 7500$ or even 100 000$ are laughable.
I predict a two game suspension to start the 2014 season. If Aldon gets the contract he is expected to get at the end of this season, a two game suspension could equal more than a million dollar fine.

Now answer me this: how is a million dollar fine and a two game suspension ON TOP OF the punishment meted out by the legal system not sufficient punishment? That seems appropriate to me.

Also, in my opinion the only reasons the team itself should punish Aldon his behavior becomes too much of a distraction, if it affects the locker room chemistry or if it otherwise negatively impacts the teams ability to keep control of the rest of its players. From the outside looking in, it doesn't appear that any of these things are taking place. A team punishment could also have a negative impact on the players and be viewed as kicking a man when he is down. Aldon's punishment is coming, even if the punishment won't happen as swiftly as some rabid fans would like it to.

As far as team image, well, I don't like that argument at all. If Aldon negatively impacts the team image, cut him. There is nothing else you can do. How does sitting him for 1 game, or 5 games, or 20 games somehow absolve the team from his behavior. Couldn't the team accomplish an image repair by other means?

The NFL is full of bad men. It is also full of foolish boys. To me, being drunk at 7am, with weed and crashing your car are all actions in the foolish boy category. Aldon needs help before it's too late. But you can lead a horse to water, but you can't force it to drink the water.
Originally posted by matt49er:
hey guys, as some of you know I used to run a UNC and a 49ers site but have since left the blogging world. I have a close friend with a sports blog and I've agreed to help him get it off the ground a bit. I decided to put something together on the Aldon Smith situation, would appreciate it if you guys gave it a quick read. Link below:

http://pigskinpickin.blogspot.com/2013/09/double-standard-aldon-smith-saga-in-san.html

You seem to be assuming that the only reason for the difference is a double standard, while there may be others. HCs very seldom get into the nitty gritty of legal problems of their players. He indicated that Demarcus was not available...that seems to be a very major difference.
Aldon is 23? Fame came too quick and fast but we need not pile on as mature adults. He needs 49er fans support and encouragement. He needs punishment from the league and NFL but the team and fans need to support him and encourage him to get the help to fight his demons. This is our team and our players. We need to rally behind him instead of against him. Sending out negative words and thoughts from his OWN freaking fans will just further bury his psyche. He doesn't need that. He needs to feel the love
Aldon on his way to Practice totally Sh**tfaced. He may have forged a relationship with Maurice Clarette recently. Im interested to know if he has come to work drunk before, no way do you just decide to come to the facility wasted. Did he do it because he knew he could get away with it? Its such a weird situation with the time frame. He needs some guidance from somebody, hell where are his parents. I am from around the same area he is in MO. He was never known as this guy. He has great parents. They must be so embarrassed right now. You know for a fact Jed is pissed. He has worked diligently to rebuild the National Rep of the 49ers back to a first class organization. They have sky rocketed up the Forbes list of most profitable teams. Opening a new stadium, this is the last thing he needs. Its never Aldons fault, but hes always there. Hes living on a dangerous edge
Pillbusta--your comments are so true about many of these guys. Fame and fortune at an early age can spell disaster.

Sadly, when a guy drinks as much as Aldon apparently does it indicates a deeper issue...and I hope the league makes treatment the major part of his "punishment."

CK seems to handle his fame with a rare sense of irony, which is very refreshing. Alex was hammered for years and didn't succeed until being in a disaster for years, which kept his head on straight. Willis seems to be a quiet guy who is just down to earth...same with Justin and Bowman. These are the players I'm hoping can help Aldon. Lots of good role models!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Sep 21, 2013 at 7:29 AM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He keeps making his next contract cheaper and cheaper and cheaper. Arrests, more arrests, questionable "incidents" that he weasels out of, drugs, alcohol, dui, shootings, stabbings, lawsuits. Of course it's never his fault. Always in the wrong place at the wrong time around the wrong people. He's innocent.... His contract will be 50% - 60% what it could have been upon time for extension. Dumb fool is just sabotaging himself but he's too stupid to see it. He thinks he is having great fun with all his exploits.

No, his contract will have escape clauses for bad behavior, the young man will get paid. If he is doesn't care about his attitude, he will sign with the team that doesn't have escape clauses.

The double standard thing is stupid, of course there is a double standard in professional sports. Aldon fills seats, Dobbs doesn't. Teams make more money win they win and players can dictate their future in free agency.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Knuckleheads will be knuckleheads.

SANTA CLARA – Coach Jim Harbaugh stated Friday that 49ers All-Pro outside linebacker Aldon Smith will pay the price for his latest run-in with the law.

But any discipline from the NFL is not likely to be administered until late in the season – or, more likely, next year.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/aldon-smith-will-face-consequences-not-while
Originally posted by verb1der:
SANTA CLARA – Coach Jim Harbaugh stated Friday that 49ers All-Pro outside linebacker Aldon Smith will pay the price for his latest run-in with the law.

But any discipline from the NFL is not likely to be administered until late in the season – or, more likely, next year.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/49ers/aldon-smith-will-face-consequences-not-while

As a fan that makes me feel better about a suspension probably next year. However I still feel the Niners should still discipline/suspend him. All I can think about is Leonard Little and how outraged I was with that situation.
49ers should have suspended him for this game. They should have done it -- no matter what the league does later.
  • Amir
  • RIP Amir, Hall of Fame
Originally posted by billbird2111:
49ers should have suspended him for this game. They should have done it -- no matter what the league does later.

lol no.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Amir:
Originally posted by billbird2111:

lol no.

No, the punishment for repeat offenders is handled by the league. The team has no saying in the matter.
Share 49ersWebzone