LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by shmuck:
Originally posted by 9moon:
here is more a fair questions for the HOMERS aqui...

Is Aldon Smith (right now) the 2nd best Defensive Player in the NFL???
2nd best passrusher maybe. Most certainly not 2nd best defender. Not even second best defender on our team last season. Bowman, Willis and Smith were/ are better. 2nd best defender in the league could very well be Sherman as much as I hate to say it

yes this guy who throws the blocker into the running back to stop a run play is not all that good.
[ Edited by jonesadrian on Jun 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM ]
IF this young man has put his demonds behind him, No question he is the Defensive MVP and we make the playoffs. If he stumples our defense will be mediocre at best. There is not a position in football more important to the defense than a consistent pass rush, almost as important as a QB is to the offense. If you are not rooting for Aldon your are hoping that we loose. But there are some very strange fans on here...
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
WHile that maybe. Jsmith did not single handedly get Aldon Smith 19 sacks or make him very good as a run defender. If that was the case Dan Skuta would be all pro and would have led the league in sacks

Thats not what ment, but to belitte how J. Smith helped pluged up blockers and to regect that is stupid.. The Cowboy took two... TWO blockers on to make any LB do his work
Originally posted by Constantine:
WHile that maybe. Jsmith did not single handedly get Aldon Smith 19 sacks or make him very good as a run defender. If that was the case Dan Skuta would be all pro and would have led the league in sacks

Thats not what ment, but to belitte how J. Smith helped pluged up blockers and to regect that is stupid.. The Cowboy took two... TWO blockers on to make any LB do his work
Did I ever belittle Justin? Conversely, to say Justin smith solely was the reason aldon was as good as he was is belittling him. Watch the tape and tell me he isnt elite.

I think Justin has been the greatest dline in the NFL over the last 5 years. Doesn't mean Aldon wasn't great by any means, he still had to beat blocks, which he did quite often and at times looked totally unblockable. He sometimes took double teams, and second blocks from running backs and still wrecked shop. He is also a fantastic run defender. Not sure why fans are trying to argue against their own player, especially one who has proven he can be elite...
I agree. Besides Watt, he is the best pass rusher in the league. He is great rushing the passer and against the run. Other good pass rushers aren't as good against the run such as Von miller or Quinn on the rams
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by elguapo:
I agree. Besides Watt, he is the best pass rusher in the league. He is great rushing the passer and against the run. Other good pass rushers aren't as good against the run such as Von miller or Quinn on the rams

uhmmm... you may wanna check with those guys in Miami... that new FA pick up and that #91 guy... Wake and some guy name SuH..

uhmmm... you may wanna check with those guys in Miami... that new FA pick up and that #91 guy... Wake and some guy name SuH..
Before last year you might want to check which player averages the most sacks per game in NFL history....yes, Aldon Smith. More than Reggie White, Bruce Smith, LT....

If you don't think him being suspended to start the year, and him literally having to pay the Niners to play didn't effect his play, then there's no hope for you....

While ideally eating up two blocks is what a D end in our scheme does Cowboy was indeed one of the best at it to ever lace them up and it helped Aldon tremendously early in his career. It will now be time for that relationship to change. Now Aldon is the all pro and the D-ends likely Tank and Dockett, are the guys who will be propped up by his play. Maybe Aldon will get fewer sacks, but I have to believe that at full speed the kind of attention he is going to draw is going to free up those two take one on ones against a guard....and that should be a truly frightening thing for opposing QB's considering the average guard left alone is going to way over matched by the likes of Dockett.

Suh is wicked inconsistent, prone to being a head case and often times as big a liability as he is an asset. To my mind he doesn't even figure into the conversation. He will be massively disruptive for stretches and then you wont see him for entire games unless it is on sports center stomping a hole in a prone man.
Originally posted by PhillyNiner:

While ideally eating up two blocks is what a D end in our scheme does Cowboy was indeed one of the best at it to ever lace them up and it helped Aldon tremendously early in his career. It will now be time for that relationship to change. Now Aldon is the all pro and the D-ends likely Tank and Dockett, are the guys who will be propped up by his play. Maybe Aldon will get fewer sacks, but I have to believe that at full speed the kind of attention he is going to draw is going to free up those two take one on ones against a guard....and that should be a truly frightening thing for opposing QB's considering the average guard left alone is going to way over matched by the likes of Dockett.

I also don't think Mangini will play our LB's (esp. our OLB's) as vanilla and straight up anymore. Don't be surprised to see him moved around a lot esp. pre-snap to help create confusion and mismatches. It won't be just Tank/AA/Dorsey tying up two blockers (and illegally holding one)...for all we know under Mangini's scheme, he may also rush Tank/AA/Dorsey as well.

Originally posted by 777ninerfan:
IF this young man has put his demonds behind him, No question he is the Defensive MVP and we make the playoffs. If he stumples our defense will be mediocre at best. There is not a position in football more important to the defense than a consistent pass rush, almost as important as a QB is to the offense. If you are not rooting for Aldon your are hoping that we loose. But there are some very strange fans on here...

Who?
Did I ever belittle Justin? Conversely, to say Justin smith solely was the reason aldon was as good as he was is belittling him. Watch the tape and tell me he isnt elite.

I think Justin has been the greatest dline in the NFL over the last 5 years. Doesn't mean Aldon wasn't great by any means, he still had to beat blocks, which he did quite often and at times looked totally unblockable. He sometimes took double teams, and second blocks from running backs and still wrecked shop. He is also a fantastic run defender. Not sure why fans are trying to argue against their own player, especially one who has proven he can be elite...

100% agreed
I hope A. Smith is ready for this season... Im saying he will take 14 sacks this year
2013 playoffs is all you need to see to know that aldon smith can wreck havoc regardless of justin smith's abilities

he carried us
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Originally posted by InsertNameHere:

Before last year you might want to check which player averages the most sacks per game in NFL history....yes, Aldon Smith. More than Reggie White, Bruce Smith, LT....

If you don't think him being suspended to start the year, and him literally having to pay the Niners to play didn't effect his play, then there's no hope for you....

but that's the point, if a guy isn't playing due to some dumb suspension, then how can he be consider great, from yesterday's job well done???

also, I'm aware of Aldon's great stats in his first 3 or 4 years, but that alone AINT getting him to the HOF... it's not how you start in this league, it's how u finish...

so I say stop this crap about "if i'm on top of my game, no one can stop me BS"... lets just GO!!!! show us your A-game for the whole season..

It's time to be great and let other call you UNSTOPPABLE FORCE!!!
Share 49ersWebzone