LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 223 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Aldon never called himself unstoppable. He said when hes on his game he cant be stopped. He didnt say he is on his game 24/7.

Id like to see aldon mature and grow in his position. Id like to see 65 tackles, 5 pd, 20 assists 12 sacks in 750 snaps. Now that getsthe multi mil ext.
Maybe he will show that he has matured and is ready to be a team leader. God knows we need him to be. VD was able to make a turn around, albeit his issues didn't seem as deep as 99's.
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
He was unstoppable in 2012, he hurt his shoulder late in the season and failed to register a sack after that, he would have most likely set the record for most in a season if he didnt get injured.

So your definition of a player, being "unstoppable" (which is an arbitrary definition at the end of the day because it is subjective), is only based upon a player being named MVP, DPOY, or OPOY? That would mean that only three "unstoppable" players exist in the league at any one time, in the same sense players such as Calvin Johnson(when on his game), Rob Gronkowski, Patrick willis at his best, Justin Smith etc. etc. Would in fact be considered not unstoppable due to not being given a top award. I dont follow or agree with that logic considering awards in the league are simply a popularity contest.

Flat out, I think Aldon is a great player, and when his head is screwed on straight I think he is a true playmaker and impact player. His first three season showed this. He slowed down his pace because he missed time due to personal issues. Last year he didn't perform as well, this is undeniable. I believe it had to do with him being out of "football shape" from missing the first nine games. Even though he didn't get many sacks, someone such as thl could undoubtably show how he imapcted the game in other ways. I truly believe, barring injury, he will be in the top 5 in sacks maybe even number 1.

J. Smith helped with that
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
There is No Such Thing as "unstoppable."

Lawrence Taylor was stopped, Reggie White was stopped, Mean Joe Green was stopped - yet they sure did a number on most teams they played against.

My vote is on Aldon do a number on most teams he faces.
cedrick hardman could not be stopped back in the day

Fred Dean was almost unstoppable too.
Originally posted by Constantine:
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
He was unstoppable in 2012, he hurt his shoulder late in the season and failed to register a sack after that, he would have most likely set the record for most in a season if he didnt get injured.

So your definition of a player, being "unstoppable" (which is an arbitrary definition at the end of the day because it is subjective), is only based upon a player being named MVP, DPOY, or OPOY? That would mean that only three "unstoppable" players exist in the league at any one time, in the same sense players such as Calvin Johnson(when on his game), Rob Gronkowski, Patrick willis at his best, Justin Smith etc. etc. Would in fact be considered not unstoppable due to not being given a top award. I dont follow or agree with that logic considering awards in the league are simply a popularity contest.

Flat out, I think Aldon is a great player, and when his head is screwed on straight I think he is a true playmaker and impact player. His first three season showed this. He slowed down his pace because he missed time due to personal issues. Last year he didn't perform as well, this is undeniable. I believe it had to do with him being out of "football shape" from missing the first nine games. Even though he didn't get many sacks, someone such as thl could undoubtably show how he imapcted the game in other ways. I truly believe, barring injury, he will be in the top 5 in sacks maybe even number 1.

J. Smith helped with that

WHile that maybe. Jsmith did not single handedly get Aldon Smith 19 sacks or make him very good as a run defender. If that was the case Dan Skuta would be all pro and would have led the league in sacks
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Would many of you guys TRADE Aldon Smith for JJ Watts heads up??
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by cciowa:
There is No Such Thing as "unstoppable."

Lawrence Taylor was stopped, Reggie White was stopped, Mean Joe Green was stopped - yet they sure did a number on most teams they played against.

My vote is on Aldon do a number on most teams he faces.
cedrick hardman could not be stopped back in the day

Fred Dean was almost unstoppable too.
was just a huge piece to the start of the dynasty . aldon is a cornerstone of the defense in my opinion . you do what you need to do to keep your offensive and defensive cornerstones
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9moon:
no, cuz when people do that, your guy you are getting usually falls down at home and tears his acl
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Thank you Amp..

At least your being honest here...

I didn't think many of the fans here would have enough Juevos to say that they would rather have Aldon over JJ..
Originally posted by AmpLee:

Of course. While Aldon has potential to be a HOF talent, JJ is well on his way and has less in the way of question marks.

Given everything that's transpired with him off of the field, you'd have to take Watt.

When Aldon is on his game he's the best pass rusher in the league.

JJ is the best defensive player in the league and anyone that wouldn't trade smith for him is a straight up homer lol
  • Disp
  • Veteran

Who cares? That's not even a remote possibility.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
here is more a fair questions for the HOMERS aqui...

Is Aldon Smith (right now) the 2nd best Defensive Player in the NFL???

2nd best passrusher maybe. Most certainly not 2nd best defender. Not even second best defender on our team last season. Bowman, Willis and Smith were/ are better. 2nd best defender in the league could very well be Sherman as much as I hate to say it

Well since he's missed 14 games in the past two seasons I'd say nope....there are a ton of good defensive players that have actually played lol. Suh is a beast, Revis is no joke, earl Thomas makes that secondary go IMO, justin Houston has been a monster, and you got to like a lot of the defensive players for the bills.

So right now at this moment I'd say nope, but it could change by the end of this season
Share 49ersWebzone