There are 192 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

• 9moon
  • Veteran
was he really UNSTOPPABLE that year???

didnt' JJ Watt won Defensive of the year in 2012, followed by Kuechly (2013) and Watt again last year?? remind me if I'm mistaken, or was it Suggs in there somewhere.. u know I don't like to do research and base my post from my memory...

again, when did he feel like he was unstoppable and why did he ever stop??
The best case scenario is for Aldon to have a strong, but not great season (14 sacks or so) and we lock him up to a very good, but not elite pass rusher contract. Then once locked up, he goes back to his record setting pace for sacks.
Originally posted by 9moon:

didnt' JJ Watt won Defensive of the year in 2012, followed by Kuechly (2013) and Watt again last year?? remind me if I'm mistaken, or was it Suggs in there somewhere.. u know I don't like to do research and base my post from my memory...

http://www.nfl.com/player/aldonsmith/2495487/careerstats

You ought to know the answer to your final question.
888 Pages? Damn-has anybody on the subject gotten this much without a reboot-hahaha.

He was unstoppable in 2012, he hurt his shoulder late in the season and failed to register a sack after that, he would have most likely set the record for most in a season if he didnt get injured.

So your definition of a player, being "unstoppable" (which is an arbitrary definition at the end of the day because it is subjective), is only based upon a player being named MVP, DPOY, or OPOY? That would mean that only three "unstoppable" players exist in the league at any one time, in the same sense players such as Calvin Johnson(when on his game), Rob Gronkowski, Patrick willis at his best, Justin Smith etc. etc. Would in fact be considered not unstoppable due to not being given a top award. I dont follow or agree with that logic considering awards in the league are simply a popularity contest.

Flat out, I think Aldon is a great player, and when his head is screwed on straight I think he is a true playmaker and impact player. His first three season showed this. He slowed down his pace because he missed time due to personal issues. Last year he didn't perform as well, this is undeniable. I believe it had to do with him being out of "football shape" from missing the first nine games. Even though he didn't get many sacks, someone such as thl could undoubtably show how he imapcted the game in other ways. I truly believe, barring injury, he will be in the top 5 in sacks maybe even number 1.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
well then, I would not call the 2012 "unstoppable season" for him...

there were a bunch of guys defensively who had great (sack) stats at one year but they were not unstoppable... I remember Tim Harris had a back to back year of 15 or 18+ sacks but he too wasn't unstoppable.. or even Bryce Paup, not sure if at Green Bay or Buffalo, too had an oustanding year, but not unstoppable...

Aldon should 1st wait and show and earn the Defensive of the League Honor before he starts talking that way.. because what would the excuse be if he doesn't produce??

When will that ON TOP OF MY GAME will ever be shown??
There is No Such Thing as "unstoppable."

Lawrence Taylor was stopped, Reggie White was stopped, Mean Joe Green was stopped - yet they sure did a number on most teams they played against.

My vote is on Aldon do a number on most teams he faces.

there were a bunch of guys defensively who had great (sack) stats at one year but they were not unstoppable... I remember Tim Harris had a back to back year of 15 or 18+ sacks but he too wasn't unstoppable.. or even Bryce Paup, not sure if at Green Bay or Buffalo, too had an oustanding year, but not unstoppable...

Aldon should 1st wait and show and earn the Defensive of the League Honor before he starts talking that way.. because what would the excuse be if he doesn't produce??

Please don't compare Aldon to Tim Harris. I apologize if that's not what you were doing but it kind of sounded like it. I can't speak on Paup because I didn't see his sacks I do know he was a great IDP in fantasy rankings. Lol. So was Harris but he played for us and I did watch him play. Aldon was pretty unstoppable or as close to unstoppable as you could get in 2012 until he injured the labrum in his shoulder which is very painful injury. He played with one arm the last part of that year and into the playoffs. Still with one arm he had at least 3 sacks in that postseason run where he had the QB and let him slip away. He was still applying pressure which at times is just as good as a sack. Had he and Justin been healthy we would have a sixth SB trophy. You can't lift your arms or extend with a bad labrum. Tim Harris was the epitome of a cherry picker in basketball. He had a lot of sacks in garbage time whereas Aldon seemed to make a lot of big plays. Nobody is unstoppable but this is Aldon's year if he's on the field and will be a terror for opposing offenses.

Then who would you say is unstoppable? Again its such an arbitrary term, every player in sports is stoppable, they have all had bad games due to being human.

But if you want to continue this argument, who is truly unstoppable(impossible to stop or prevent.)? Even Jerry Rice was stopped in games so does that mean he is any less great? Aldon is using it as a figure of speech, does he truly believe he can not be stopped by any player any game on any play? I doubt it. Does he think he is really great and can wreak havoc game in and game out. Yeah, because he did it in the past.

He had 19 sacks and was in position to break the record, but due to injury couldn't! He nearly averaged a sack a game through his first three seasons, if you dont think thats great you have no clue what you are talking about. We have seen what he can do on the top of his game. Are you arguing that he has never been great? If so, maybe you should go jog your memory and watch his first three seasons.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
There is No Such Thing as "unstoppable."

Lawrence Taylor was stopped, Reggie White was stopped, Mean Joe Green was stopped - yet they sure did a number on most teams they played against.

My vote is on Aldon do a number on most teams he faces.
cedrick hardman could not be stopped back in the day

• 9moon
  • Veteran
Dont' ask me who UNSTOPPABLE is, go tell that to Aldon...

all I asked was whether or not he was unstoppable that year, 2012.. because I've seen defender put up the same amount of sacks as he has and I couldn't say they were unstoppable..

as for Aldon, peronally, Dana Stubblefield had a better year twhen left the 49ers for Washington, compared to the 2012 Aldon's year..
Originally posted by philosoraptor:
Then who would you say is unstoppable? Again its such an arbitrary term, every player in sports is stoppable, they have all had bad games due to being human.

But if you want to continue this argument, who is truly unstoppable(impossible to stop or prevent.)? Even Jerry Rice was stopped in games so does that mean he is any less great? Aldon is using it as a figure of speech, does he truly believe he can not be stopped by any player any game on any play? I doubt it. Does he think he is really great and can wreak havoc game in and game out. Yeah, because he did it in the past.

He had 19 sacks and was in position to break the record, but due to injury couldn't! He nearly averaged a sack a game through his first three seasons, if you dont think thats great you have no clue what you are talking about. We have seen what he can do on the top of his game. Are you arguing that he has never been great? If so, maybe you should go jog your memory and watch his first three seasons.

Even when Aldon sacked wussel and recovered the fumble in the nfcc game was an awsome!
Aldon is a GREAT player A lot of the time. Not just at sacks but he sets the edge. And again, tl can verify but it's not like Aldon doesn't hold his own against the run.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I remember Aldon being awesome, never denied it, but if he was UNSTOPPABLE as PHIL SAID, then why did JJ WATTS win the Defensive Player of the Year???

Instead of saying "when Im on top of my game, I'm unstoppable"... Aldon should just tell us that he's head is crewed in right, and he's more focus than ever and I promise to have the biggest year of any DL has ever seen..

saying "when Im on top of my game, etc" ... is just like saying.. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY...

and if truly believe that he's unstoppable when on top of his game, then TURN ON THE SWITCH and LET'S GO!!!!
[ Edited by 9moon on Jun 15, 2015 at 5:56 PM ]
I remember Aldon being awesome, never denied it, but if he was UNSTOPPABLE as PHIL SAID, then why did JJ WATTS win the Defensive Player of the Year???

Instead of saying "when Im on top of my game, I'm unstoppable"... Aldon should just tell us that he's head is crewed in right, and he's more focus than ever and I promise to have the biggest year of any DL has ever seen..

saying "when Im on top of my game, etc" ... is just like saying.. ANY GIVEN SUNDAY...

and if truly believe that he's unstoppable when on top of his game, then TURN ON THE SWITCH and LET'S GO!!!!

Not sure if BuzzB or 9moon, srs.

JJ Watt also had an incredible season, Aldon actually was beating him statically that season but again, as ive said and you havent listened(per usual), he injured his shoulder and couldn't finish the season and JJ surpassed him. They BOTH had great seasons, Im not sure why two players cant be great? If you dont think getting 19 sacks and being up for defensive player of the year is "turning on the switch" then I dont know what is.

So you have an issue with him believing in himself and saying he is unstoppable and great when he is on his game, but you think its better that he guarantees he has the best season by a dlinemen ever? Just stop 9moon, you dont even logic and you never have.

Dude it's a figure of speech. He was the fastest player EVER to reach 30 sacks in his career, passing Reggie White's record of 28 games, Aldon did it in 27..
- NFL record for most sacks in first two seasons (33.5)
- San Francisco 49ers single-season sack record (19.5)
- Monday Night Football single-game sack record (5.5)
- 1st team all pro 2012, and pro bowl
- Aldon was tied for 2nd with Von miller in total pressures his first 2 years with 162. Cameron wake was in 1st with 167.

I'd say he was about as unstoppable as you can get. Him and JJ watt were both unstoppable, and when Aldon is on his game he is the best OLB in the game imo. Great run defender as well.
Share 49ersWebzone