There are 152 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Originally posted by PrisonOfGlass:
I think Rice's punishment was lenient but, keeping in line with that mindset, I say Aldon should get 4+ games. Every one of his transgressions scream "Menace to society". That may not be the case but that's the nature of the crimes and I think it looks worse on paper than a domestic dispute.

Then go watch the video of Ray Rice dragging that beautiful girl out of that elevator unconscious

I'm not downplaying the Rice incident but a lot of posters here are downplaying Aldon's, all of which happened in rapid fire succession. If he doesn't get hit hard I'll be pleasantly surprised.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:
Headlines of the "Star Linebacker Involved in Stabbing, Charged For Possession Of Illegal Firearms Who Fell Asleep While Driving Under The Influence and Hit a Tree Makes Bomb Threat At LAX" nature tend to draw a lot of negative attention. For that reason alone, Aldon's probably going to get hit hard. No homer.

How much of this was he convicted of? Convictions are the basis of the commish's decisions, not TMZ headlines.
Look up Ben Rothlisberger he got suspended but was never convicted of any crimes.
Originally posted by leebert81:
I've never been an NFL commissioner but I would take the actions of the player and how they reflect on the Brand into consideration over the aptitude of his lawyer.
What punishment would you have given Rice?

I think Rice's punishment was lenient but, keeping in line with that mindset, I say Aldon should get 4+ games. Every one of his transgressions scream "Menace to society". That may not be the case but that's the nature of the crimes and I think it looks worse on paper than a domestic dispute.

Knocking your gf unconscious and dragging her body carelessly around like a rag doll doesn't scream menace to society to you? Aldon's done some stupid s**t but nothing malicious and violent as Rice !
Originally posted by BobS:
Aldon Smith had 4+ incidents very close together, some of the stupid things he did he didn't even get charged for. A select few in here really down play what he did, almost acting like everything was no big deal. Drunk and hit a tree? Recklessly firing a gun in the air in city limits? From some of the posts acting like those were no big deal I think Aldon's mom and grandma are posters in this thread. Somebody could have gotten seriously hurt. Hopefully rehab helped and he won't be repeating episodes of drunk and stupid.
I think it will help. To me the drinking and driving was the worst which he got help for but I thought Delanie Walker shot the gun not Aldon? Who knows but Aldon has had his day in court so there is no need for any of us to put him on trial as well. Now Goodell will mete out his own discipline but we do need to consider that Aldon has has a string of NONVIOLENT offenses. He ain't some gangbanger thug. He was just very stupid. He has shown that he is taking steps towards growing up and taking responsibility. He can still turn out to be a fine citizen father and player
Look up Ben Rothlisberger he got suspended but was never convicted of any crimes.

I personally roundly criticized Goodell for that as well. I thought he overreached on something that was dismissed.
Originally posted by NeonNiner:
Knocking your gf unconscious and dragging her body carelessly around like a rag doll doesn't scream menace to society to you? Aldon's done some stupid s**t but nothing malicious and violent as Rice !

This! Some folk think that because we advocate for our players we are all homers without a conscience but it ain't so. I realize and blame Aldon for what he has done but I ain't for throwing the book at him over every single thing he was accused of when a lot of it was dismissed in a court of law. What makes Goodell greater than a judge and jury?
Originally posted by NeonNiner:

This! Some folk think that because we advocate for our players we are all homers without a conscience but it ain't so. I realize and blame Aldon for what he has done but I ain't for throwing the book at him over every single thing he was accused of when a lot of it was dismissed in a court of law. What makes Goodell greater than a judge and jury?

Goodell isn't above the court but he does employ Aldon. This is no different than folks making Paula Deen's firing by her Network out to be a First Amendment issue.
Aldon Smith had 4+ incidents very close together, some of the stupid things he did he didn't even get charged for. A select few in here really down play what he did, almost acting like everything was no big deal. Drunk and hit a tree? Recklessly firing a gun in the air in city limits? From some of the posts acting like those were no big deal I think Aldon's mom and grandma are posters in this thread. Somebody could have gotten seriously hurt. Hopefully rehab helped and he won't be repeating episodes of drunk and stupid.
I think it will help. To me the drinking and driving was the worst which he got help for but I thought Delanie Walker shot the gun not Aldon? Who knows but Aldon has had his day in court so there is no need for any of us to put him on trial as well. Now Goodell will mete out his own discipline but we do need to consider that Aldon has has a string of NONVIOLENT offenses. He ain't some gangbanger thug. He was just very stupid. He has shown that he is taking steps towards growing up and taking responsibility. He can still turn out to be a fine citizen father and player

Yeah I'm pretty sure Walker shot the gun in the air and when the cops showed up they found Smith's illegal firearms at his home. He has never been suspended before and as Goodell has said he looks at what the legal system does in correlation with his suspensions. The airport incident shouldn't factor in because everything has been dropped and the DUI and gun possessions are what's left. Do we know other players who were 1st time offenders that were charged with similar crimes and what they got for a suspension??

I could see a 6 game suspension put out there then Goodell saying it will be reduced to 4 games based on good behavior/voluntary leave, that way it looks like Goodell put 6 games out there but also "rewarded" the player for taking matters in his own hands to help his self out....that's my 2 cents
Hopefully the punishment is announced tomorrow afternoon. PFT made a point the other day that the NFL (and the government for that matter) likes to unload bad/controversial news at around 5:00 PM eastern time on Fridays due to waning interest or attention from the media and public in general as the weekend begins. We'll see.
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Goodwill is not the law, aldon constantly heard of his wrong doings as long as we talked about him getting in trouble. passing out and waking up in front of a tree to the cops probably runs through head stll..he is a new father and has been sober ever since the incident. He still needs to serve his punishment like everyone else that gets a DUI as well.

What is this passing out and waking up in front of a tree crap.

He was driving drunk, passed out and hit a tree, or maybe driving drunk, hit a tree and passed out.

If Aldon were dumb enough to talk about what he did in your terms when he met with Goodell, he would be suspended for the whole year.

Either way, passing out and hitting a tree did happen..not sure what you are trying to accomplish here

And also who said anything about AS explaining what he did to RG ?

• BobS
  • Veteran
He is the typical early 20's young man that gets liquored up and does stupid stuff. Also on top of that the last DUI shows he doesn't slow down the drinking when he is getting intoxicated he drinks to pass out stage. Pretty sure many of us in here did dumb stuff while drinking in our early 20's, I could write a book on it between what I have done and seen. Fortunately most of my crew were lucky and never got caught. Just because it is common place doesn't make it ok.
He already served his self imposed punishment for the DUI. With the gun charges being reduced to misdemeanors I don't see much reason for further suspension, maybe just fine him the amount of his 5 games he sat out last year.
Why the hell hasn't Goodell handed down the suspension yet? This is ridiculous. Inquiring minds want to know and also start to prepare!
Originally posted by fortyninerglory:
Why the hell hasn't Goodell handed down the suspension yet? This is ridiculous. Inquiring minds want to know and also start to prepare!

It's driving me up the f**king wall.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
Goodwill is not the law, aldon constantly heard of his wrong doings as long as we talked about him getting in trouble. passing out and waking up in front of a tree to the cops probably runs through head stll..he is a new father and has been sober ever since the incident. He still needs to serve his punishment like everyone else that gets a DUI as well.

What is this passing out and waking up in front of a tree crap.

He was driving drunk, passed out and hit a tree, or maybe driving drunk, hit a tree and passed out.

If Aldon were dumb enough to talk about what he did in your terms when he met with Goodell, he would be suspended for the whole year.

Either way, passing out and hitting a tree did happen..not sure what you are trying to accomplish here

And also who said anything about AS explaining what he did to RG ?

Aldon Smith did meet with Goodell. I think they probably talked about that particular incident, don't you.

Also, you did forget to mention both driving drunk and hitting the tree in your post.

Both do seem more than a little important.

[ Edited by buck on Aug 14, 2014 at 10:30 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone