There are 263 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by WookieOftheYear:
this dude just needs to stay home

This
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by buck:
I was taught to brake and kill the headlights. The headlights freeze the dear.

A friend of mine used to go to the dog races in Iowa.
The only night he won, he hit a dear on the way back to Sioux Falls.
He had to pay a fine and fix his car. His winnings did not cover the costs.
the best advice at night especially during the fall season out in the country is reduce speed and try to keep an eye in the ditches and side of the road for glittering eyes. where there is one,, there is probably two or three. its the rut or the f**king season for the deer and the males are chasing the females across the road. sometimes they get hit. Nothing ruins a perfectly good roll in the hay for a deer more than to get smashed by a car or truck as your friend can agree to.. those things can really f**k up your car, esp the big bucks
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerG94:
Originally posted by cciowa:
i know it sounds dumb but in iowa they stress,, not to avoid or swerve when you see a deer coming,,, best just to hit the damn thing. your car will get f**ked up but at least you will not roll over. one night i almost hit a dog, a deer and a stupid cow in the same night. they kept getting bigger the cow would have killed me but i would have been able to see my boyhood dead dog mrs bojangles whom i still miss very much

I live in the NE corner of Iowa and deer sleep on highways up here. ha couldnt help but chuckle about the cow. I hit one when I was in high school and I might suggest swerving to miss the cow if possible even though the farmers insurance is always liable for the cows being out. Thank god I was only going about 30 mph around a sharp corner or someone other than the cow would have been seriously hurt. They're massive and darn near impossible to move. Much like running into Wilfork or Sopoaga I imagine. You're much better off hitting the deer though than taking the ditch and risking a serious roll over or something like that. The cow had to be shot btw in case anyone was wondering. Anyone else hungry for steak?
i got yelled at by one of the mods last month for saying this but there is nothing better than iowa corn fed beef. I wish you were around back then to back me up. i got beat up pretty bad from peta for that one.. my daughter works at a radio station in waterloo which is close to you. you live in the prettiest part of iowa in the fall time, in my opinion.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Seriously! Interesting they didn't cite the speed...can see a couple young guys driving up the desolate, windy hills to Aldon's house balls-out around mid-night on Friday. That's just speculation of course; bummer the guy has a broken back! And thank God Aldon is alright. But yeah...the dude just needs to stay home and play Madden at this point; he's got some bad, BAD luck! Avoid that Sophomore jinx.
does not matter the speed when a deer is involved. when they come up upon you and you swerve, you can roll over in a second. . i am not s**tting you guys. i work at a radio and tv station out in the country and there are four deer standing across the road right now just looking around getting ready to make a dash across the road. they are bad at this time of the year.. just bad luck as NC said

What station do you work at cc and what do you do?
a radio tv station in a town of 25 thousand 50 miles north of des moines. i am news and sports director. i do play by play of local football and basketball games on a low power tv station we have and i have a fm air shift from ten till two pm,, i am typing this in between music from bonnie raitt and john mellencamp!

There is more to life than pegging.
i can multi task very well plus when you play three in a row there is plenty of time to type and to go pee
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
my last thing about deer,,, in iowa the cops say do not veer to avoid deer, cute huh?
Seriously! Interesting they didn't cite the speed...can see a couple young guys driving up the desolate, windy hills to Aldon's house balls-out around mid-night on Friday. That's just speculation of course; bummer the guy has a broken back! And thank God Aldon is alright. But yeah...the dude just needs to stay home and play Madden at this point; he's got some bad, BAD luck! Avoid that Sophomore jinx.
does not matter the speed when a deer is involved. when they come up upon you and you swerve, you can roll over in a second. . i am not s**tting you guys. i work at a radio and tv station out in the country and there are four deer standing across the road right now just looking around getting ready to make a dash across the road. they are bad at this time of the year.. just bad luck as NC said

a radio tv station in a town of 25 thousand 50 miles north of des moines. i am news and sports director. i do play by play of local football and basketball games on a low power tv station we have and i have a fm air shift from ten till two pm,, i am typing this in between music from bonnie raitt and john mellencamp!

Ah -- I know the feeling. When you work in radio and/or TV -- you are "ridden hard and put away wet." There's always a deadline to meet. Dead air is your curse. Did you follow the format correctly? Did you catch that feed? Did you play the right bump coming out of that commercial set? Uptempo? Slow Tempo? A rotation or B rotation?

Wait. If you're playing Bonnie and John, you're either working an oldies station, classic rock format, or both.
Originally posted by 99problems:

True! It generally takes a weird angle or a lot of force to break a back BUT if the ditch they drove down in was steep, speed may not have been an issue; you never know how you're going to react in a situation like that (dodge or run over) are you're only two options!

so youre saying i cant really pause life and say " like a good neighbor statefarm is" and poof?

Hilarious!!!!
  • cciowa
  • Veteran

Ah -- I know the feeling. When you work in radio and/or TV -- you are "ridden hard and put away wet." There's always a deadline to meet. Dead air is your curse. Did you follow the format correctly? Did you catch that feed? Did you play the right bump coming out of that commercial set? Uptempo? Slow Tempo? A rotation or B rotation?

Wait. If you're playing Bonnie and John, you're either working an oldies station, classic rock format, or both.
called soft rock so the hardest we get is mellencamp, some of bon jovis solo stuff,, not a bad mix of some classic oldies and new stuff with train, matchbox 20, taylor swift, adell etc. everything is on computer now but we still have a cd player here in the fm studio so if the computer blows up,, which it does we can play a cd and reboot the system. I like my job esp in news and sports cuz something new happens every day. sometimes its bad news and death but it is interesting!
Originally posted by Allx9er:

This

But then he might have a house party again.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran

This

Wasn't he at home when he got stabbed? Dude needs to move into the practice facility.

Originally posted by Lifer:

This

Wasn't he at home when he got stabbed? Dude needs to move into the practice facility.

DUI aside, the title of this threads and his sacks make him look like a total badass.

edit: please don't die, Aldon.
[ Edited by OregonNiner87 on Sep 18, 2012 at 11:19 AM ]
Originally posted by NinerG94:
I live in the NE corner of Iowa and deer sleep on highways up here. ha couldnt help but chuckle about the cow. I hit one when I was in high school and I might suggest swerving to miss the cow if possible even though the farmers insurance is always liable for the cows being out. Thank god I was only going about 30 mph around a sharp corner or someone other than the cow would have been seriously hurt. They're massive and darn near impossible to move. Much like running into Wilfork or Sopoaga I imagine. You're much better off hitting the deer though than taking the ditch and risking a serious roll over or something like that. The cow had to be shot btw in case anyone was wondering. Anyone else hungry for steak?

A friend I worked with rode with another guy and they traveled 30 minutes to work for third shift and they hit 2 deer in 1 week and over a few year period almost hit a horse that got out and a bear.

Anyways, back on topic we dodge a bullet again. I read this on another message board and my heart sank when all they put in the title is Aldon Smith involved in a serious car crash.
  • mod
  • Veteran
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2012/09/aldon-smith-involved-in-serious-weekend-car-crash.html

I have been very harsh on aldon for his off field antics this off season but this is a non story and he is very very lucky. i did not think the deer problem was bad out west like it is here in iowa. at this time of the year they are mating , the farmers are harvesting so this happens all the time cuz they damn things are running all over hell.. there was a serious injury sounds like to one of the guys but aldon got lucky. they are far from the bambi creatures we have been led to believe. could have occured to anyone, he was lucky.

When I lived in the bay it wasnt uncommon to have a big ass buck standing on my back porch checking out my dogs food lol, I havent read the article but if you live in the bay area hills they are EVERYWHERE. I'm assuming he lives in the Los Gatos, Los Altos area of San Jose.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
A friend I worked with rode with another guy and they traveled 30 minutes to work for third shift and they hit 2 deer in 1 week and over a few year period almost hit a horse that got out and a bear.

Anyways, back on topic we dodge a bullet again. I read this on another message board and my heart sank when all they put in the title is Aldon Smith involved in a serious car crash.
me to. then i saw it was a deer accident. they are a dime a dozen but did not know they had them alot in california.. hitting a damn bear.. holy s**t
Share 49ersWebzone