There are 174 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by BrianGO:
I bet most of the people on the WZ have done worse things as drivers. Aldon Smith lives no more than a two minute drive away from Ray McDonald, two minutes at MOST. Probably less than a half mile.

He wasn't planing on going on any road with a speed limit above 25mhp. He is literally within walking distance of Ray McDonald's house. He knew he was drunk, but figured he could stay awake for two minutes in his car. He wasn't expecting to pass out on the way.

I have showed up to work sick, and could barely press my brake pedal down; nearly ran into a car. Many people have driven on freeways with little sleep, or have been in a hurry to get somewhere, zooming through traffic, which is far more dangerous than what Aldon Smith did. I see far more dangerous drivers on the road every day.

People just say "DUI", while ignoring the context of the situation. People say, "He fired his gun", while ignoring the context of the situation. "He was in a knife fight", while ignoring the context of the situation.

The TSA thing, is quite literally a joke, in every way, shape and form. I applaud him for bringing the issue to light, by showing how stupid the situation at airports truly is. Maybe this incident could create more public awareness about the absurd searches at airports and create positive change for the better.

Ohio could use some people willing to fight for justice, seeing as how they allowed Ariel Castro to live unchecked in a populated area without anyone having a clue that he had three sex slaves captive for over a decade. What kind of community allows that to happen? That sure sounds like a much more dangerous place to live, than someone passing out in their car at 5am in the suburbs.

Wow. Makes me wonder exactly what someone would have to do to deserve punishment in your book. I think your moral compass needs an adjustment. You seriously think it's no big deal for a person to drive while intoxicated if it's just a short distance? Would you agree if that person had to drive through a school zone on their short jaunt home? Would you be ok with a crane operator coming in to work if he could barely function because he was sick? You clearly have poor judgment, so it's not surprising that you would excuse Smith's behavior.
[ Edited by trogdor on Apr 23, 2014 at 7:55 AM ]
Originally posted by trogdor:
I bet most of the people on the WZ have done worse things as drivers. Aldon Smith lives no more than a two minute drive away from Ray McDonald, two minutes at MOST. Probably less than a half mile.

He wasn't planing on going on any road with a speed limit above 25mhp. He is literally within walking distance of Ray McDonald's house. He knew he was drunk, but figured he could stay awake for two minutes in his car. He wasn't expecting to pass out on the way.

I have showed up to work sick, and could barely press my brake pedal down; nearly ran into a car. Many people have driven on freeways with little sleep, or have been in a hurry to get somewhere, zooming through traffic, which is far more dangerous than what Aldon Smith did. I see far more dangerous drivers on the road every day.

People just say "DUI", while ignoring the context of the situation. People say, "He fired his gun", while ignoring the context of the situation. "He was in a knife fight", while ignoring the context of the situation.

The TSA thing, is quite literally a joke, in every way, shape and form. I applaud him for bringing the issue to light, by showing how stupid the situation at airports truly is. Maybe this incident could create more public awareness about the absurd searches at airports and create positive change for the better.

Ohio could use some people willing to fight for justice, seeing as how they allowed Ariel Castro to live unchecked in a populated area without anyone having a clue that he had three sex slaves captive for over a decade. What kind of community allows that to happen? That sure sounds like a much more dangerous place to live, than someone passing out in their car at 5am in the suburbs.

Wow. Makes me wonder exactly what someone would have to do to deserve punishment in your book. I think your moral compass needs an adjustment. You seriously think it's no big deal for a person to drive while intoxicated if it's just a short distance? Would you agree if that person had to drive through a school zone on their short jaunt home? Would you be ok with a crane operator coming in to work if he could barely function because he was sick? You clearly have poor judgment, so it's not surprising that you would excuse Smith's behavior.

Where does he say that Aldon, or anyone else caught with a DUI, doesn't deserve punishment? What you seem to be missing is what he's pointing out: the punishment should fit the crime.

If a person drives in California with a .08 or greater, its a DUI. But what if he's only .07? Or what if the person is a .20? Shouldn't you look at the driving pattern, and their history with alcohol before deciding on their punishment? Or the reason they're driving. What if the guy with the .20 was driving normally, had a high tolerance for alcohol, and was only driving to take his neighbor to the hospital with an emergency, life threatening illness or injury? And got arrested at the hospital when someone recognized that he was drunk?

Or the guy with the .07 was completely out of control, swerving all over the road, nearly causing accidents left and right. Maybe only a wet reckless, but shouldn't he get some extra time?

All BrianGO is saying is that the actual facts about Aldon--what actually occurred--may not as egregious as some media types, and some others, are making it out to be. He wants us to take a calm, reasonable view of things.

Why would you have a problem with that?
[ Edited by oldninerdude on Apr 23, 2014 at 8:16 AM ]

While it's not ok..this is the world we live in

Some people do need help, some people get caught at the wrong times when they don't have drinking problem, and some people don't get caught when they have a major drinking problem.
Originally posted by oldninerdude:
Where does he say that Aldon, or anyone else caught with a DUI, doesn't deserve punishment? What you seem to be missing is what he's pointing out: the punishment should fit the crime.

If a person drives in California with a .08 or greater, its a DUI. But what if he's only .07? Or what if the person is a .20? Shouldn't you look at the driving pattern, and their history with alcohol before deciding on their punishment? Or the reason they're driving. What if the guy with the .20 was driving normally, had a high tolerance for alcohol, and was only driving to take his neighbor to the hospital with an emergency, life threatening illness or injury? And got arrested at the hospital when someone recognized that he was drunk?

Or the guy with the .07 was completely out of control, swerving all over the road, nearly causing accidents left and right. Maybe only a wet reckless, but shouldn't he get some extra time?

All BrianGO is saying is that the actual facts about Aldon--what actually occurred--may not as egregious as some media types, and some others, are making it out to be. He wants us to take a calm, reasonable view of things.

Why would you have a problem with that?

No problem with that, if that was really what he was saying lol. All I read was excuses for reckless behavior, and rationalizations using the word "context". I don't care what context, if you are drunk to the point of passing out, you do not operate a motor vehicle, no matter how short your drive may be. Also, I don't care about the "context", you do not fire a weapon into the air. Even cops don't do this, it's dangerous.

Basically Aldon Smith is an idiot and needs help. People excusing his bad behavior doesn't help at all, and if the organization continues to gloss over his poor decision making it's going to ruin his life. People need consequences in order to change destructive behavior.
No problem with that, if that was really what he was saying lol. All I read was excuses for reckless behavior, and rationalizations using the word "context". I don't care what context, if you are drunk to the point of passing out, you do not operate a motor vehicle, no matter how short your drive may be. Also, I don't care about the "context", you do not fire a weapon into the air. Even cops don't do this, it's dangerous.

Basically Aldon Smith is an idiot and needs help. People excusing his bad behavior doesn't help at all, and if the organization continues to gloss over his poor decision making it's going to ruin his life. People need consequences in order to change destructive behavior.

Sticking to the facts of what actually occurred; not condemning Aldon for something that did not really occur (sometimes called prejudging, or prejudice), and recognizing that he has a problem with alcohol and needs help--these are not mutually exclusive.

I don't know if he is an "idiot" per se, but I don't see anyone excusing his behavior.

However, there are some in the media, and some on this board, who appear to rejoice at his problems, completely condemn him for what MIGHT be considered less than felony behavior, and don't appear to care a bit about any potential recovery for him. BrianGO was challenging their thought processes, not excusing Aldon's actions.

What evidence do you rely on for your statement that the organization is "glossing over" his problems, as opposed to supporting his efforts to address them and rehabilitate? Maybe I missed that.
As someone who has spent a lot of time flying over the last 30 years, my opinion is that TSA agents are often complete a-holes. But, pointing that out is not to excuse Smith. I would never say the word "bomb" to a TSA agent. I guess I just don't see this TSA thing as some kind of huge crime worthy of suspension. The drunk driving thing, to me, is a lot more serious. But, that's the only thing I see as a serious offense. Having some guns in your closet that are technically illegal in California? Come on. Any wealthy person gets off with a slap on the wrist for that. Hassling a TSA agent and getting crabby for being hassled by authorities? Come on. You see that almost every week and any major airport. Again, any wealthy person gets off with a slap on the wrist for that. And please don't jump on my back over the "any wealthy person" thing. I get it. I don't like it. Our legal system's double standard with respect to working and poor people as opposed to wealthy people is a disgrace IMO. Just last month, a trust-fund heir of the DuPont family got probation for the rape of his 12-year old daughter, a conviction which would have meant an automatic 10 year sentence for any normal American. The judge sentenced him to probation because she thought he "wouldn't fare well" in prison. Just an embarrassing and disgraceful legal system.
  • buck
  • Veteran
In 2013, there were 214,828 arrests for DUI in California.

That is a whole passel of people getting arrested for DUI.

Aldon Smith is just one of those.

Not sure what this means, but it might be something to think about.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of-dui-arrests-per-state/
Originally posted by buck:
In 2013, there were 214,828 arrests for DUI in California.

That is a whole passel of people getting arrested for DUI.

Aldon Smith is just one of those.

Not sure what this means, but it might be something to think about.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/number-of-dui-arrests-per-state/

Context. Thanks, buck.

Here's another fact: one does not need to be so drunk that he or she passes out to lose control of a car and crash into a tree.

That's part of what makes DUI so bad, one loses the ability to react normally and in a timely fashion. People don't always recognize this and think they can drive safely--then fail to make a curve and sideswipe a pole or a tree or a parked car. Happens all the time, unfortunately--but its still not the same as getting into a car and driving 100 mph on the freeway after drinking too much, and causing serious injury or death.

Context.
  • buck
  • Veteran
If Aldon Smith is convicted of DUI, he will be punished.

First, he will be punished by the state.

Second, he will more than likely be punished by the NFL.

How many people are punished for DUI by both the state and at their workplace?

That seems to be more than sufficient to me.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:51 AM ]
If Aldon Smith is convicted of DUI, he will be punished.

First, he will be punished by the state.

Second, he will more than likely be punished by the NFL.

How many people are punished for DUI by both the state and at their workplace?

only driving jobs, Smith served his DUI suspension already

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

When was he suspended?

He has not been suspended by the NFL ever.

He was not suspended by the team. He received his salary while he was in rehab.

Suspended players are not paid for games they miss.

Niners still paying Aldon Smith's salary while he's in rehab

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/23860982/niners-to-continue-paying-aldon-smith-salary-while-pro-bowler-in-rehab

[ Edited by buck on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

When was he suspended?

He has not been suspended by the NFL ever.

He was not suspended by the team.
The commish already said that the five weeks Aldon took off to improve will count as time served on any suspension related to his DUI charge! I doubt a first time suspension would exceed four games anyway. A lot of this criminal hype and lengthy suspension is media driven
[ Edited by Pillbusta on Apr 23, 2014 at 11:57 AM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
The commish already said that the five weeks Aldon took off to improve will count as time served on any suspension related to his DUI charge! I doubt a first time suspension would exceed four games anyway. A lot of this criminal hype and lengthy suspension is media driven

I believe that the comish said the his time in rehab will be taken into consideration, which is somewhat vague.

I do not know what will happen, but we will eventually find out.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

I believe that the comish said the his time in rehab will be taken into consideration, which is somewhat vague.

I do not know what will happen, but we will eventually find out.

Yes he was rather pointed too in stating that suspensions were only meant to correct action and that a self imposed rehab and five games missed does just that. Now this is before LAX!
I think LAPD fines Aldon with no time served. They won't deem him a terrorist threat just an "idiot"!
Share 49ersWebzone