LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 245 users in the forums

The Aldon Smith thread

Originally posted by Rascal:
Then you have to question who with the right mind would host an open house party to anyone on the street and charges money at the gate ?

Would you ? I wouldn't. Is a fair question, don't you think ?

Bottomline, the kid is making terrible personal decisions and that is why the 9ers had to intervene.

Was Smith charging to get in?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Niners99:
People who keep mentioning jail time need to stop being so dramatic. Hes not going to jail. His lawyer will get his court case postponed to the offseason, and he'll end up with probation and community service.

Yeah no reason to be dramatic about 3 felonies, 2 dui's, stabbings, shootings, multiple driving off the road other times when not charged. In 2 years time. No problem there. Carry on.

This is why we have court trials. So that people can't just take all the trumped up charges as fact and a condemnation of one's character. Anyone can throw the book at someone to make them look like a very evil person but let us wait until the legal proceedings have concluded before we start labeling Aldon as some sort of lost cause. Someone accused Crabtree of sexual assault but as everything was sorted out amongst law enforcement it was essentially found to be a bunch of cockamamie after all. We know Aldon did some wrong, illegal and stupid things but there is no need to convict him of the highest offenses before he has had his day in court
For the record, I believe they should suspend your license for 1 year first offense for DUI because it is a priviledge and not a right for people to drive and there is no need to unleash irresponsible drivers on the road to endanger others. It is just not worth it. But I still say that Aldon deserves his day in court and we need not be so critical but rather hopeful and supportive while encouraging better behavior
Yeah no reason to be dramatic about 3 felonies, 2 dui's, stabbings, shootings, multiple driving off the road other times when not charged. In 2 years time. No problem there. Carry on.

3 counts of felony illegal firearms possession. Never took you for the type to be so fully supportive of restrictions on the second amendment
[ Edited by swayze on Nov 1, 2013 at 4:32 AM ]
Originally posted by swayze:

3 counts of felony illegal firearms possession. Never took you for the type to be so fully supportive of restrictions on the second amendment

Gangstas are why Cali has such strict gun laws? It is dumb to outlaw guns to law abiding citizens, criminals are going to get them anyway. On a side note, I made the mistake of reading the comments section of the ESPN article and man are those hypocritical shehawk fans butthurt. Never mind that their skittle munching moron of a douche nozzle running back has been facing even worse charges since 2011. f**king loser ass fanbase and having to rely on artificially enhanced players and stadium noise to compete...f**king losers.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by eonblue:
Originally posted by Rascal:
Then you have to question who with the right mind would host an open house party to anyone on the street and charges money at the gate ?

Would you ? I wouldn't. Is a fair question, don't you think ?

Bottomline, the kid is making terrible personal decisions and that is why the 9ers had to intervene.

Was Smith charging to get in?

Yes, he was. I think it was 10 bucks per head, it was just silly and as it happened he ended up with a bunch of gangsters at his party.
I just hope the guys right. That he can continue to play and be positive both on and especially off the field.
I just hope the guys right. That he can continue to play and be positive both on and especially off the field.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
For the record, I believe they should suspend your license for 1 year first offense for DUI because it is a priviledge and not a right for people to drive and there is no need to unleash irresponsible drivers on the road to endanger others. It is just not worth it. But I still say that Aldon deserves his day in court and we need not be so critical but rather hopeful and supportive while encouraging better behavior

Agree with this totally! Having known a few really good people who were killed by drunk drivers it seems a year's suspension would be a nice little jolt to the drinker. And I also agree that Aldon deserves his day in court...and the support of the team as long as he continues to battle the problem. No way to know how it will turn out, but we can all hope for the best...and perhaps this has been a good example for the rest of the young niners.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Agree with this totally! Having known a few really good people who were killed by drunk drivers it seems a year's suspension would be a nice little jolt to the drinker. And I also agree that Aldon deserves his day in court...and the support of the team as long as he continues to battle the problem. No way to know how it will turn out, but we can all hope for the best...and perhaps this has been a good example for the rest of the young niners.

If you're willing to break the law and drink and drive the first time, they're just going to break the law the second drive and drive on a suspended license... While I like the idea (it's worked in Europe pretty well), it's not the be-all , end-all solution

Originally posted by joseglopez00:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

If you're willing to break the law and drink and drive the first time, they're just going to break the law the second drive and drive on a suspended license... While I like the idea (it's worked in Europe pretty well), it's not the be-all , end-all solution

Don't see anyone saying it's the be all end all solution...but it beats a slap on the wrist. Perhaps another step would be a one year suspension, with a one year suspended jail sentence unless there is another violation...then it's back to jail for the year. There is no simple answer to alcoholism or drug abuse but some people will learn from a suspended license...others won't. About the only fool proof answer would be the death penalty for first time drunk drivers...which seems a bit draconian.
i read that Aldon will only be a situational pass rusher for now. Kind of a good idea and keep him fresh like we did his rookie year.

also a possibility he could return punts with kyle williams struggling
Originally posted by Niners99:
People who keep mentioning jail time need to stop being so dramatic. Hes not going to jail. His lawyer will get his court case postponed to the offseason, and he'll end up with probation and community service.

3 felonies that will likely either be plead down or dropped, 1 RESOLVED DUI and another that he has to answer for, and none of the mentioned stabbings, shootings, or running off the road involves a legal charge. In fact, he was the VICTIM of the stabbings and was shot AT at the party.

Look...he's a kid. He's immature. He's made some really BAD decisions.

Lets be realistic tho. From a jailtime perspective we are looking at a DUI and the gun charges that are dubious at best.
I reckon the DUI will stick this time. Since his last go round did not result in a DUI being recorded on his record, this will be his 'first.' That means, a mandatory 96 hours in jail. Now...perhaps even that gets waived in light of his voluntary rehab. Who knows? What is relevant (to the team), is that this will not be a distraction during this season or next.

As far as the weapons charges go...I believe those are going to go bye bye. I think it's been referenced in here before, but this article really puts the charges in perspective. http://www.ajc.com/feed/sports/dubious-felony-weapons-charges-act-as-leverage/fWJth/

Let's just hope he has learned his lesson and matured some from this experience!
[ Edited by Mankster on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Marvin49:
3 felonies that will likely either be plead down or dropped, 1 RESOLVED DUI and another that he has to answer for, and none of the mentioned stabbings, shootings, or running off the road involves a legal charge. In fact, he was the VICTIM of the stabbings and was shot AT at the party.

Look...he's a kid. He's immature. He's made some really BAD decisions.

Lets be realistic tho. From a jailtime perspective we are looking at a DUI and the gun charges that are dubious at best.

Lol. There's nothing dubious about his charges.

The only thing dubious is the fact I would still be in jail if I was in his situation.

Power gonna do what power do. He probably wont see any jail time. The case definitely wont be resolved until at least the start of the new year.
[ Edited by eonblue on Nov 1, 2013 at 8:27 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone